A Dictionary of London. Originally published by H Jenkins LTD, London, 1918.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
East out of Milton Street, at No. 69, to Moor Lane (P.O. Directory). In cripplegate Ward Without.
First mention : O.S. 1894.
On the site of Butler's Alley and Hanover Court (q.v.) and Oaklyes Court or Yard (q.v.), in Sweatings Passage.
South out of Ropemakers Street, with a passage west to Grub Street and east to Moor Lane, in Cripplegate Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-O.S. 1880).
The passage east to Moor Lane is not shown in O. and M. 1677-in Rocque it is called "Sweatings Passage," and in Horwood "Butlers Alley," and now "Butler Street" (q.v.). The northern end out of Ropemaker Street is now occupied partly by portions of Moor Lane and Sydney Avenue.
.-Out of Butler Street, Milton Street (L.C.C. List, 1901 and 1912). In Cripplegate Ward Without.
See Butler's Court.
North out of Upper East Smithfield, at 40, leading into Crown Court (P.O. Directory).
Former name : "Crown Court" (Rocque, 1746 ; Strype, ed. 1720 and 1755, and London Guide, 1758).
First called "Butler's Buildings" in Boyle, 1799.
South out of Houndsditch, in Bishopsgate Ward Without (Rocque, 1746-Elmes, 1831).
The site is now occupied by business houses.
East out of Moor Lane, in Cripplegate Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Lockie, 1816).
"Butlers Alley" in Horwood, 1799.
In the 17th and 18th centuries it extended east into Little Moorfields.
The site is now occupied by the Metropolitan Railway lines and Moorgate Street Station.
In Monkwell Street (Strype, 1755-Boyle, 1799).
Not named in the maps.
South out of Acorn Alley, Bishopsgate, in Bishopsgate Ward Without (Lockie, 1810-Elmes, 1831).
Not named in the maps.
-In Dean's Court, St. Martin's le Grand (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).
Not named in maps.
See Billeter Street.
North-east from Great Tower Street, at No. 46 Mark Lane, to No. 15 Trinity Square, Tower Hill (P.O. Directory). In Tower Ward.
Formed 1889-1906. Constructed under the Met. and Dist. Railways (City Lines and Extensions) Act, 1882.
Former name : "Great Tower Street." This name abolished 1906-10 (L.C.C. Streets, 1912).
The improvement was to be carried out by the Railway Companies, the Met. Board of Works contributing £500,000 to the cost. Width to be 60 ft. (Lond. Street Improvements, 1855-97, p. 124).
Occupies the site of Black Swan Court (q.v.), etc.