Chapel of Bethlehem
See Bethlehem Hospital, Chapel.
Chapel of Ease, Skinner Street
See Ship Yard.
Chapel of the Bishop of St. Paul's
"Capella Episcopi juxta Sanctum Paulum," 31 Ed. I. (Lib. Cust. I. 229).
Dugdale mentions a Chapel in the Bishop's Palace (Dugdale's St. Paul, 134).
He speaks of the lower Chapel, as if there were two, and it was probably built with a crypt underneath, which was also used as a chapel.
The Chapel seems to have been known at one time as the Chapel of St. Mary.
North out of the Poultry at No. 30 (P.O. Directory). In Cheap Ward.
First mention : Elmes, 1831.
Former names : "Counter Alley," 1477 (Ct. H.W. II. 575-Boyle, 1799). "Compter Court" (Lockie, 1810 and 1816).
Formerly the entrance to the Poultry Compter, and after the removal of the Compter in 1815, to the Poultry Chapel for Congregationalists, erected in 1819 on part of the site of the Compter. The street took its present name from this chapel.
East out of Whitecross Street, at No. 38, to Milton Street (P.O. Direc-tory).
First mention : Horwood, 1799.
The western end is occupied by "Horshoe Alley" (q.v.), and the eastern end by "Cross Keys Court," Grub Street (q.v.) and "Half Moon Alley," in O. and M. 1677.
So called after the City Chapel there (Lockie, 1810).
Chapel upon the Charnell in St. Paul's Churchyard
Newly built chapel in St. Paul's Churchyard beyond the charnel house mentioned in will of Roger Beyvin, 1277-8 (Ct. H.W I. 29).
Dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary (H. MSS. Com. 9th Rep. 33).
Described by Fabyan as standing in the churchyarde at Powlys, over the Charnell house, 1516 (Fabyan's Chr. p. 297.)
The poor chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary over the charnel house (super ossamenta mortuorum) in St. Paul's Churchyard, 8 H. VI. (Cal. L. Bk. K. 115).
Strype calls it the chapel of All Souls over the charnel house, Rich. II. (ed. 1720, 1. III. 148).
Converted into dwelling-houses, warehouses and sheds for stationers (S. 332) in 1549.
See Paul's (St.) Charnel House.
Chapels in Old St. Paul's
See Paul's (St.), Chapels in Old.
Chaplains of London (Parish)
In 1319 William, Parson of the Church of St. Mary Woolnoth, is mentioned as the Pitancier of the Community of Parish Chaplains of London (Riley's Mem. xliv.).
Chapter House Court
North out of St. Paul's Churchyard at No. 67, north of the Chapter House, and west to Paul's Alley (P.O. Directory). In Farringdon Ward Within.
First mention : Rocque, 1746.
Former name : "Petty Cannons Court" (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1720-55).
Out of Aldersgate Street Without (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).
Not named in the maps.
See Botolph (St.) Aldgate Charity School.
Out of Bartholomew Close, in Farringdon Ward Without (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).
Not named in the maps.
North out of Cripplegate Street, at No. 4, to Fann Street (P.O. Directory). In Cripplegate Ward Without.
First mention : Strype, ed. 172O.
It occupies the eastern side of Bridgwater Gardens, extending further north than formerly, as shown in O.S. 1875-80, and the earlier maps.
North out of Banister Lane at the eastern end (O. and M. 1677). Between that lane and the Queen's Printing House, Blackfriars. In Farringdon Ward Within.
A good deal of the site is now covered by Queen Victoria Street.
See Printing House Street.
West out of Redcross Street at No. 28, in Cripplegate Ward Without (Horwood, 1799-L.C.C. List, 1901).
The site has been rebuilt and is now occupied by offices and business houses.
South out of Mansion House Street, and the Poultry on the west side of the Mansion House. In Walbrook Ward (Horwood, 1799-O.S. 1848-51) extending to Bucklersbury and Walbrook.
Named after Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III.
Removed for the formation of Q. Victoria Street 1861-71, and for the widening of the corner by the Poultry, Mansion House, and Walbrook.
See Chartesey House.
Between Goswell Road east and St. John Street Clerkenwell, west, outside the bars of Aldersgate Ward Without.
Foundation : Michael de Northburgh, Bishop of London, by his Will left £2000 for the foundation of a House according to the ritual of the Carthusian order in a place commonly called "Newchirchehawe," where there is a church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, which place and patronage he acquired from Sir Walter de Manny, 1361 (Ct. H.W. II. 61, and Anc. Deeds, B. 2315.)
In 1370 the Carthusian Order took possession of the monastery, but the Royal licence for its foundation was not granted until 1371 (Hendriks, p. 21).
In addition to the monastery and 20 acres of land mentioned in the Royal licence, a further grant of 4 acres adjoining his house was made to the Prior out of land belonging to the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem Clerkenwell to make gardens, cells of prior, etc. 1378 (Cal. P.R. Rich. II. 1377-81, p. 238).
In 1431 a grant was made to the Convent of a spring and land 53 perches in length and 12 ft. in width in the town of Iseldon to lay down pipes in the land and under and across the king's highway for a conduit to bring water from the spring to their house, 9 H. VI. 1431 (Cal. P.R. H. VI. 1429-36, p. 105).
Sometimes called : New chapel of St. Mary near Westsmythfeld, 1372 (Ct. H.W. II. 148).
"The Carthusian house of the Salutation of the Blessed Virgin Mary," 1385-6 (Ct. H.W. II. 251).
"le Charthous," near Smythfeld, 1375 (ib. 178). The "religioies," called "Chartres'," living at the new churchyard without Aldrichesgate, 1382 (ib. 228). "Chartrers'," 1375 (ib. 170).
Numerous bequests made to them from time to time.
At the dissolution of the monasteries temp. H. VIII. the site and house of the Charterhouse were granted to Sir Edward North, together with the head and fount of the aqueduct in Islington parish in the field called Condyte Felde and the springs and watercourses leading water to the site of the Charterhouse, 1545 (L. and P. H. VIII. XX. (1), p. 303).
Sir E. North pulled down most of the cloister. In 1565, Roger, Ld. North sold the greater part to the Duke of Norfolk, by whose attainder the property passed to the Crown.
Restored to Philip, earl of Arundel, 1581. The earl of Suffolk sold it to Thomas Sutton 1611 (Hendriks, 243-58).
Thos. Sutton founded a hospital, chapel and school there. The hospital for gentlemen pensioners, at first 80 in number, but afterwards reduced to 55, still remains, but the school was removed in 1872 to Godalming in Surrey, and the buildings sold to the Merchant Taylors' Company, who established their school in the precincts.
The old buildings consist of the antechapel, the south wall of the chapel and the west wall of the great hall-with parts of old Howard House, the great staircase, etc.
North-east out of Charterhouse Street to Charterhouse Square, outside the City boundary (O.S. 1880).
In Horwood it extended further west to St. John Street, Charterhouse Street not being then made.
First mention : 10 Ed. IV. (Anc. Deeds, B. 2175).
Now absorbed into Charterhouse Street (q.v.).
So named from the Charterhouse, within the precincts of which it lay.
Rerydosts (open fire-hearth (Haliwell), and a hayloft under, dangerous for fire, found in "Charterhouse Rents" in parish of St. Martin Outwich, and mentioned in a wardmote inquest of Broad Street Ward, 15 H. VIII. 1523 (L. and P. H. VIII. Pt. 2, p. 1515).
Not further identified.
The property, or the rents arising out of it, probably belonged to the Charterhouse.