North out of Gresham Street at No. 79, at the west end of St. Lawrence Church, and extending to the north side of the church, into Guildhall Yard (P.O. Directory). In Cheap Ward and Cripplegate Ward Within, on the boundary of the wards.
First mention : O.S. 1875.
Former name : "St. Lawrence Alley" (Strype, ed. 1720, I. iii. 90-Boyle, 1799).
North out of Upper Thames Street at 218, west of St. Bennet's Hill (Lockie, 1810-Elmes, 1831).
Shown as a passage on the west side of St. Benet's Church in Horwood, 1799, but not named.
See Church Entry, Playhouse Yard.
West out of St. Mary at Hill to Love Lane, south of the Church (L.C.C. List, 1912). In Billingsgate Ward.
First mention : O.S. 1848-51.
Former name : "Church Alley" (Strype, 1720-Boyle, 1799).
In 1720 there were houses on the south side only, the north side lying open to the churchyard (Strype, ed. 1720, I. ii. 173).
South out of Duke Street to the Great Synagogue and Mitre Square (P.O. Directory). In Aldgate Ward.
First mention : O.S. 1875.
Former name : "Dark Entry" (Rocque, 1746-Elmes, 1831). "Church Court" (P.C. 1732).
West out of Gracechurch Street at No. 17 on the North side of All Hallows Lombard Street Church (L.C.C. List, 1912). In P.O. Directory, "Way to All Hallows Church."
On the south side of Cloth Fair, in Farringdon Ward Without (Lockie, 1810-Elmes, 1831).
Probably identical with the entrance to St. Bartholomew's Church mentioned in the P.O. Directory at No. 8 Cloth Fair.
Church Passage, Basinghall Street
See Church Alley.
Church Passage, Minories
See Church Street, Minories.
West out of Garlick Hill, opposite St. James' Church in Vintry Ward.
Former names : O.S. 1875-Bacon, 1912. "Three Crown Court" (O. and M. 1677 Elmes, 1831). "Three Shear Court" (Strype, 1720, 1755).
The passage is still in existence, but apparently unnamed.
North out of Fore Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (O. and M. 1677).
The site is occupied now by offices and business houses.
Church Rents, St. Mary at Hill
In the records of the parish of St. Mary at Hill (E.E.T. Soc.) there are numerous references to the "Church Rents."
In most cases the references are to certain rents arising from lands and houses appertaining to the church for its upkeep and maintenance. But in one or two instances in which mention is made of repairs to the "cherche Rentes," the words seem to be used to denote either the individual houses of which the rents were appropriated to the church, or possibly a small lane or passage in the parish so designated (See pp. 271 and 357).
The name frequently occurs in records as a street name, usually applied to a small lane or alley near a church, and probably given to the particular church or parish at some earlier period for its maintenance.
South out of Fenchurch Street, west of the church of St. Katherine Coleman to Fenchurch Street Station (P.O. Directory). In Aldgate Ward.
First mention : Lockie, 1810.
Former names : "Church Court" (Horwood, 1799). "Magpye Alley" (Strype 1720-L. Guide, 1758).
Named from its proximity to the church.
East out of Walbrook to Mansion House Place, north of St. Stephen Walbrook. In Walbrook Ward.
First mention : "Church Court" (Lockie, 1810-Elmes, 1831). Between Nos. 5 and 6 Walbrook.
"Le Churche Row" within Great St. Bartholomew's Close, 36 H. VIII. (L. and P. H. VIII. XIX. (1), p. 376).
One of the entrances to the Church of St. Bartholomew the Great.
Church Row, Aldgate High Street
North out of Aldgate High Street, on the north and east sides of St. Botolph's Church and churchyard, to Houndsditch (P.O. Directory). In Portsoken Ward.
Former names : "Church Lane." "Crown Inn."
In O. and M. 1677, and Rocque, 1746, "Church Lane" is shown on the north side of the church, while in O. and M. the "Crown Inn" stands on the eastern side of the churchyard, this site being already occupied by "Church Row" in Rocque, 1746.
In Rocque, the passage on the north side of the church led into a Carpenter's Yard, called "Wood Yard" and also into a Stable Yard.
It is unnecessary to insist on the origin of the name, which is obviously derived from the proximity of the street to St. Botolph's Church.
Church Side Alley, Fetter Lane
See Churchyard Alley.
Church Street, Minories
East out of the Minories, leading to Holy Trinity, Minories Church (P.O. Directory).
Former names : "Little Minories" (Hatton, 1708 ; Strype, ed. 1720 and 1755 ; Rocque, 1746 ; London Guide, 1758). "Little Church Street," otherwise the "Church Passage," 1771 (Act for paving, lighting, etc., parish of Holy Trinity, Minories, quoted in Tomlinson's History of the Minories, p. 344).
Its earlier name commemorates the fact that the buildings occupied part of the site of the Abbey of the Order of St. Clare without Aldgate, called the Nuns Minoresses, while its present designation is derived from the Church of Holy Trinity situated at its eastern end.
See Stephens Lane.
The word "hawe" in Church-hawe=O.E. ha3a, an enclosure, hence a "churchyard." In "Church-hay," "Hay" = "enclosure" ("he3e," O.E.), hedge, fence="a churchyard," "precinct."
Described as in the parish of St. Magnus in 1373-4 and 1456, and formerly called "Steveneslane" or "Stepheneslane" (Ct. H.W. II. 158 and 529).
Identified with "Churchyard Alley" (q.v.) of the 17th and 18th centuries (See Trans,. L. and M. Arch. Soc. N.S. II. (2), p. 199).