A Dictionary of London. Originally published by H Jenkins LTD, London, 1918.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Maidenhead Court, Maiden Lane
Maidenhead Yard, Inn
Mairmaid Court, Warwick Lane
Mairmaid Inn, Great Carter Lane
Malmesbury (Abbot of) Inn
Grant by Thos. Coubrigge and Wm. Camme to the Abbot of Malmesbury of 3 messuages, curtilage and appurtenances in parish of St. Andrew Holbourne, formerly of Thomas de Lyncolne, 43 Ed. III. (Cott. MS. Faust. B. VIII. f. 163b.).
Inn called "Lyncolnesynne," in parish of St. Andrew in Holbourne assigned to chapel of St. Mary in the church of the Abbey of Malmesbury-the Abbot to have the use of his new inn newly built when in London, 1380 (ib. f. 192).
In an ancient Deed in the Record Office relating to the possessions of the Abbot and Convent of Malmesbury granted to Thomas Dalton, 17 H. VIII. the inn or hospicium in London is described as "Bere aley" or "Castell Aleye," the old names of "Castle Street" or "Furnival Street" (Anc. Deed, L. 131).
It is not possible within the limits of this work to deal with this complicated and difficult subject, especially as any attempt at a concise definition of the term is apt to be misleading in the present state of knowledge on the matter.
Maitland, Vinogradoff and Seebohm have done much by their able writings to elucidate the difficulties and to remove some prevalent misconceptions, and a careful study of their works is to be recommended to anyone who wishes to gain useful knowledge on this subject.
It has always been assumed that manors were non-existent within the limits of the City of London, and were wholly alien to the conditions of free-burgage tenure under which it was held by the King. But if this position is maintained, yet it is certain that there existed within the City from early times certain privileged areas known as "sokes," forming independent estates in the hands of private individuals, which were exempt from the jurisdiction of the City, and possessed of their own courts and officers.
Stow in his Survey of London mentions one or two estates which he describes as manors, but in his time the word seems to have acquired a wider and looser signification than it possessed in earlier days, when a definite technical meaning was attached to it.
The northern portion from Gt. Ayliff Street to Aldgate High Street was called Somerset Street (q.v.) until March, 1870, when this name was abolished and the whole called Mansell Street (L.C.C. List of Streets, 1912).
The southern portion from Great Prescott Street to the Tower Bridge Approach was formed in 1907 when Queen Street (q.v.) and Little Prescott Street (q.v.) were demolished (ib.), together with Smith's Buildings (ib.).
Former names : "Mansel street" (Strype, 1720-Horwood, 1799). "Mansfield Street" (Rev. of London, 1728). "Somerset Street" (Maitland, 1775, II. 1007). "Goodman's Fields Street" (Wheatley). But he does not give any date showing when it was so called, and it has not been possible to verify this name.
Prior to the erection of the Mansion House, the Mayoral receptions and banquets were either held in one of the Halls of the City Companies, or at the house of the Mayor himself during his term of office.
Strype complains that the Mansion House was too much shut in with houses (ib. p. 517), but since his time it has been improved in that respect by the removal of Charlotte Row and of a considerable number of houses at the corner of the Poultry for the formation of Queen Victoria Street.