A Dictionary of London. Originally published by H Jenkins LTD, London, 1918.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
A fraternity or brotherhood of S. Charity and S. John the Evangelist, of the Priests of London, was founded in 1442 by Thomas Symmeson, rector of All Hallows London Wall, William Cleve, chaplain of the chantry founded at the altar of St. John Baptist in the church of St. Mary Aldermary, and others for the maintenance of poor and infirm priests (MS. Han. 604, f. 12b, 12, and P.R. 20 H. VI. , set out in Trans. L. and M. Arch. Soc. V.188).
The church of St. Augustine Papey, lately annexed to All Hallows London Wall, with an adjoining messuage, etc., were given to the master and brethren as an endowment (ib.), and the hospital seems to have derived its name from the church (See Augustine (St.) Papey).
There is among the Cottonian MSS. in the British Museum a book of the ordinances of the fraternity, much damaged by fire, and from this book it appears that the Master and Wardens of the Fraternity had made a brick wall closing in the chapel of seint Austyn called "Pappey chapell." Near the south-east corner of this brick wall was a "skuncheon," which stood partly on the common ground of the city, and was given in 1457 by the Mayor and Aldermen to the Fraternity (Cott. MS. Vitell. F. XVI. fo. 119).
Papillon's (Mr. Thos.) House
Pardon Churchyard, Smithfield
Said to have been purchased and a chapel built there for the burial of those who died of the Black Death 1348-9, by Ralph Stratford, Bishop of London. Enlarged by the addition of Spital Croft by Sir W. Manny (Hendrik' & Charterhouse, p. 16)
Sir William (le Marshall) parson of the church of St. Mary Wolnoth was "pitanciarius" of the community of parish chaplains in the City. Other Rectors of City Churches also described as " pittancers " and " proctors" of the community, 12 Ed. II. (Cal. L. Bk. E. p. 101).
Parish Clerks' Hall
The first Hall was in Bishopsgate Street, near the Angel, but in Stow's time (1603) the Guild or Company had lately erected one at the north-west corner of Brode lane (S. 241-2), in Vintry Ward, having lost their old hall in Bishopsgate Street. Stow says at the suppression of the brotherhood, time Ed. VI. , the hall was given to Sir Robert Chester and was pulled down by him (S. 172).
This second hall in Brode Lane was destroyed in the Great Fire 1666, and the hall was then rebuilt between Silver Street and Wood Street. Damaged by fire in 1844 and rebuilt with a new entrance in Silver Street.
The ecclesiastical ordinance made by King Edgar and his Witanagemot at Andover, c. 970, was the first step in law taken in England to effect the transition from the old baptismal churches with their districts to the modern parish churches and parishes.
These churches had been originally built and endowed by laymen as oratories, and districts had been attached to them, the size of which was generally determined by the extent of the lands of the lay founder in the neighbourhood, which were intended to receive benefit from the foundation.
The priest was nominated by the lord or patron and received investiture from him, and not from the Bishop, until the 12th century, when this practice was prohibited by the third Lateran Council, 1179-80.
From some of the earlier London records one obtains the impression that the division into parishes was not very strictly carried out in the 10th and 11th centuries. The churches are often referred to as if they were private property served by private chaplains, with no parishes attached to them, and the parish prior to that time had been the bishop's cure of souls, or " administration."
The number of parishes has varied somewhat from time to time, as shown in the article on Churches (q.v.), and it is probable that in the 10th or 11th centuries some of the larger parishes were subdivided and additional churches erected to provide for the ever increasing population of the City.