At the north-east corner of Royal Exchange Buildings, in Broad Street Ward (O.S.). Erected 1869.
The site was formerly occupied by St. Benet Fink Churchyard.
Between Fleet Ditch and Black Friars (Strype, 1720 and 1755).
Site has been rebuilt.
Named after the sign.
Peacock Alley, Bishopsgate Within
See Vine Inn.
Peacock Alley, Street
In Giltspur Street, in Farringdon Ward Without (P.C. 1732-L. Guide, 1758).
In parish of St. Sepulchre, 1646 (Ct. H.W. II. 763).
"Peacock Court" in L. Guide, 1758, and Dodsley, 1761.
Not named in the maps.
Peacock Brewery, Brewhouse
Between Whitecross Street and Redcross Street, with passages into both streets (Strype, Ed. 1720-Lockie, 1810).
The site was afterwards occupied by the Debtors' Prison and subsequently by the Midland Railway goods office.
"Peacock Court " in Strype, Ed. 1755.
See Peacock Alley and Peacock Brewery.
On the west side of Aldersgate Street, in Aldersgate Ward Without (O. and M. 1677).
The site is shown in O.S.1875.
Site now occupied by business houses.
Peacock Place, Court
East out of the Minories. In Portsoken Ward, south of Haydon Street (Lockie, 1810-Collingridge's map, 1908).
Former names: "Brown's Alley" (O. and M. 1677). "Brown's Yard" (Hatton, 1708-Boyle, 1799). " Brown's Court" (Rocque, 1746).
The site as shown in Rocque seems to be occupied by Swan Street, but it may be a few doors further north, where " The Peacock" public-house now stands at No.41 .
West out of Bishopsgate Street. In Bishopsgate Ward Within (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755).
First mention : "Pehan Alley " in parish of St. Ethelburg, 36 H. VI II. 1544 (L. and P. H. VIII. Dom. S. XIX. Pt. 2, p.84).
It seems to lie north of" Peahen Court" (q.v.).
Site now occupied by offices and chambers, etc.
West out of Bishopsgate at No.77 (P.O. Directory). In Bishopsgate Ward Within.
First mention : O.S.1875.
Former name : " Sutton's Court " (Strype, 1720-Elmes, 1831).
Strype mentions it as newly built at that time (Ed. 1720, I. ii. 107) with steps down into " Helmet Court " (ib. 132).
Rev. T. Hugo in his itinerary of the Ward of Bishopsgate refers to a fine doorway temp. Jas. II. at the end of the Court (L. and M. Arch. Soc. Trans. I. p.168).
Pear Tre Court
At the east end of Angel Alley, Aldersgate Street, in Aldersgate Ward Without (Rocque, 1746-Boyle, 1799).
The site is occupied by warehouses and offices.
East out of Temple Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (Rocque, 1746-Boyle, 1799).
Former name: "Cressers Court" (O. and M. 1677).
Site has been rebuilt and is occupied by offices and business houses.
South out of Upper Thames Street, east of Puddle Dock (Lockie, 1810 and 1816).
Not named in the maps.
Named after the owner or builder.
Pease Porridge Alley
South-east out of the northern portion of Gravel Lane, Houndsditch, in Portsoken Ward (Strype, Ed. 1720-Boyle, 1799).
Site cleared in Horwood, 1799, and occupied subsequently by warehouses, now belonging to Port of London Authority (q.v.).
See Prescott Street.
On the west side of King's Bench Walk, within the Temple precincts (Lockie, 1816).
Not further identified.
Houses so called within Aldgate, 18 Ed. III. (Anc. Deeds, A. 1935)
Not further identified.
s.-There were thirteen churches in London termed peculiars, as being exempt from the jurisdiction of the bishopric of London and of the Archdeacon, and subject only to the Archbishop of Canterbury.
These thirteen churches were: All Hallows Bread Street; All Hallows Lombard Street; St. Dionis Backchurch; St. Dunstan's in the East; St. John the Evangelist, Friday Street; St. Leonard Eastcheap; St. Mary Aldermary; St. Mary le Bow; St. Mary Bothaw; St. Michael Crookedlane; St Michael Paternoster Royal; St. Pancras, Soper Lane; St. Vedast; Foster Lane.
Similarly certain of the conventual houses, as a special mark of favour, were made exempt from all ecclesiastical jurisdiction except that of the Pope.
These Papal pecuhars became Royal peculiars temp. Hen. VIII.
In 4 Ed. VI. all exempt jurisdictions in London, including, amongst others, The Chapel of the Tower, Westminster Abbey, Savoy Chapel, the site of the Minoresses convent, were declared by Royal patent to be parcel of the diocese of London and within the jurisdiction and visitation of the bishop (Rymer's Foedera, XV. 233).
This ordinance, however, never had the force of law.
Within these peculiars : The parishioners appointed their own minister; marriages were solemnised without banns or licence; the inhabitants elected their own magistrates; licensed the publicans; were free from arrest by outside authorities; paid no public taxes unless specially levied on Royal liberties. These rights of sanctuary and similar privileges in London were abolished by Act of Parliament, 1697.
Peel's Statue (Sir Robert)
At the junction of Cheapside, Newgate Street, Paternoster Row and St. Paul's Churchyard, in Farringdon Ward Within.
West out of Little Britain to St. Bartholomew's, in Aldersgate Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Elmes, 1831).
Near the Gateway that leads to the Town Ditch. Now commonly called" Pilkington Court," from the first builder or owner (Hatton, 1708).
"Pilkington Court" (W. Stow, 1722-P.C. 1732).
The site is now occupied by buildings belonging to St. Bartholomew's Hospital.
Perhaps to be identified with Pilkynton's Place (q.v.).