A Dictionary of London. Originally published by H Jenkins LTD, London, 1918.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Swan Court, Great Tower Street
See Black Swan Court.
See Swan and (with) Two Necks Inn.
On the east side of Aldersgate Street, in Aldersgate Ward Without (O. and M. 1677).
Occupied the site of Lauderdale House (q.v.).
On the west side of Moorgate, outside the City Wall, in Coleman Street Ward (Strype, 1720, to Rocque, 1746).
Used as a stable and so shown in Rocque.
On the west side of Aldersgate Street, in Aldersgate and Farringdon Wards Without (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755).
Seems to occupy the site of Smith's Court (q.v.).
South out of Upper Thames Street, at No.103, to the Thames (P.O. Directory). On the boundary of Dowgate and Bridge Within Wards.
First mention: Greenwood, 1827.
Former names: " Old Swan Lane" (Strype, ed. 1720-Elmes, 1831). " Ebbgate Lane" (S. p. 215-Rocque, 1746). Lane called " Ebbgate," temp. Ed. III. (H. MSS. Com. 9th Rep. p.14).
Named after the "Old Swanne" there (Stow).
See Old Swan Stairs.
Swan Street, Minories
East out of Minories to Mansell Street (P.O. Directory). Partly in Portsoken Ward.
Former name: "Swan Alley" (O. and M. 1677, and in Tomlinson's Hist. of the Minories, p.294).
The alley was much smaller and narrower, and the street seems to have been rebuilt towards the end of the 18th century.
Swan Street, Upper East Smithfield
North-east from Butcher Row to East Smithfield at No.102, with a branch to Nightingale Lane (Lockie, 1810).
Former names: " Swann alley," 1641 (Ct. H.W. IT. p.760). "Swan alley" (W. Stow, 1722-Horwood, 1799).
Removed for the erection of St. Katherine's Docks and the adjacent warehouses, 1827.
At the upper end of New Rents is the Swan Tavern, on the east side of St. Martin le Grand (Strype, ed. 1720, I. iii. 121).
Perhaps identical with the tenement called the" Swanne" (q.v.).
Swan with Two Necks Inn
In Great Carter Lane, opposite Dean's Court, from No.4 St. Paul's Churchyard (Lockie, 1816).
Not named in the maps.
Swan with Two Necks Inn
North out of Holborn, west of Holborn Bridge, in Far-ringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677).
Site now covered by Holborn Viaduct and its approaches.
In Aldersgate Street.
Mentioned in Middlesex Sessions' Roll, 33 Chas. II. (Midd. Co. Records, IV. 154).
North out of Snow Hill at Fleet Market (Horwood, 1799).
See Swan (The), Holborn Bridge.
North out of Newgate Street, east of Newgate, and adjoining the Gate in Farringdon Ward Within (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).Shown in the" Plat of the Greyfriars," 1546-1617, in Trans. L. and M. Arch. Soc. V. 421, as extending north from the inn nearly to the City wall.
Named after "the Swan" (q.v.).
Site now occupied by the new Post Office buildings.
Swan Yard, Bishopsgate
See One Swan Yard.
Swann Alley, Upper East Smithfleld
See Swan Street.
A tenement so called near Cock Alley and Christopher Alley in, or near St. Martin's lane, St. Martin's le Grand, 32 H. VIII. (L. and P. H. VIII. XVI. 243).
See Swan Tavern.
A Hermitage so called, part of the possessions of the Abbey of St. Mary Graces in parishes of St. Botoiph without Algate and the Church called "le Whitchappell," 49 and 50 Ed. III. (Anc. Deeds, A. 2559 and B. 2314).
Granted to Sir A. Darcie, 34 H. VIII. 1542 (L. and P. H. VIII. XVII. p.400).
Swan's Nest Court
On the west of Little Bell Alley, a new passage up steps into Great Swan Alley; well built and inhabited (Maitland, '775).
The Swan's Nest public house was in the court and seems to have been situated on the banks of the Walbrook (1868) (Trans. L. and M. Arch. Soc. III. p.507).