BHO

Nuisances

Page 263

Analytical Index To the Series of Records Known As the Remembrancia 1579-1664. Originally published by EJ Francis, London, 1878.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

Nuisances.

III. 119. Letter from Thomas Fowler and Henry Spiller, Justices of the Peace for Middlesex, to the Lord Mayor, acknowledging the receipt of his letter on behalf of William Shewell, a Chandler, presented before them for a noisome melting-house in Turnmill Street, with the enclosed Petition, in which it is suggested that they had referred him to melt in London. The Petitioner had misinformed his Lordship, but, in obedience to his request, they would stay proceedings against him till Midsummer next.
Hickes Hall, (fn. 1) 17th December, 1613.

Footnotes

  • 1. Built at his own charge by Sir Baptist Hicks, in St. John Street (upon ground given by the King), for the better carrying on of the magisterial duties for Middlesex. It was finished January 13th, 1612, and called Hick's Hall, after its founder. Annexed to the building was a Round House and pillory. From here the miles were measured, northwards. The present Sessions House was built on Clerkenwell Green in 1782, and Hicks's Hall pulled down. The Jacobian chimney-piece from the old Hall was removed to the present building.