Historical Gazetteer of London Before the Great Fire Cheapside; Parishes of All Hallows Honey Lane, St Martin Pomary, St Mary Le Bow, St Mary Colechurch and St Pancras Soper Lane. Originally published by Centre for Metropolitan History, London, 1987.
This free content was born digital. All rights reserved.
This property lay between 3 on the S., 5 on the N., 8 on the W., and Soper Lane on the E. There are no specific references to it after 1325, and the structure there was probably demolished in the 15th century. From then on the site was part of Soper Lane, although in the 17th century the owners or tenants of 8 (q.v.) may have erected sheds over part of it.
In the late 13th century the shop with solars above which occupied this site belonged to Robert Gratefige, citizen and pepperer, who by 1288 had granted it to John Scarlet, citizen and mercer. Between 1301 and 1307 (possibly in 1304-5) Scarlet granted the shop and solars to Simon de Parys, citizen and mercer, reserving a rent of a clove to himself and his heirs. By his will, dated and enrolled in 1324, Simon left the property to be sold by his executors, who in 1325 sold it to John de Grantham, citizen and pepperer. (fn. 1)