Historical Gazetteer of London Before the Great Fire Cheapside; Parishes of All Hallows Honey Lane, St Martin Pomary, St Mary Le Bow, St Mary Colechurch and St Pancras Soper Lane. Originally published by Centre for Metropolitan History, London, 1987.
This free content was born digital. All rights reserved.
This tenement lay in the N.W. corner of the Goose Lane block, bounded to the N. by the churchyard, to the W. by Goose Lane, to the S. by 2, subsequently part of 3, and to the E. by 3 and 1, subsequently 3 only. Unlike 1, 2, and 3 it does not seem to have changed in shape or size. In 1858 the property was part of no. 10 Bow Church Yard.
In 1299 5, lying to the N. of 2, belonged to Maud, widow of William de Holeburne, citizen. In 1300 she granted it to Richard de Welleford, citizen and hosier (calicarius), describing it as a tenement with houses built on it in the parish of St. Mary le Bow, between 2 to the S., 3 to the E., the churchyard to the N. and Goose Lane to the W. In 1309, as the W. abutment of 3, it was said to be the tenement late of Richard de Welleford, citizen and draper, but in 1310 Rich ard de Welleford, citizen and hosier (caligarius) of London, granted the tenement he had by grant of Maud de Holebourne, described as in her grant to him, to William de Aldenham, citizen and goldbeater, for a certain sum, and a red rose yearly at the Nativity of St. John the Baptist. In 1321 and 1342 5 appears to have been held by Walter de Blecchingeleghe, but in 1361 Thomas de Welforde, junior, left a shop with solar(s) apud Goselane, possibly identical with 5, to his wife Maud. (fn. 1)
5 was acquired by James Andreu, citizen and draper (d. 1374), who granted it to Adam Stable, William Essex, John Topynges, Simon Derby, Richard Knouslee, and others, who in 1378 granted the same to John Norhampton, William Kyng, John Fourneux, Robert Somersete, Robert Rysby, Richard Brendewode, William Benyngton, and Roger de la Mare, citizens. In 1392, Benyngton and de la Mare having died, the surviving grantees granted 5, describing it as all those tene ments situated between the tenements formerly of Richard de Kyslyngbury (1, 2, and 3) to the E. and S., Goose Lane to the W., and the little churchyard of St. Mary le Bow called perdonchirchehawe to the N., to Agnes Hale, widow of William Hale, citizen. By her will, dated 1407 and proved 1408, Agnes atte Hale, citizen and libera eiusdem civitatis, widow of William atte Hale, late citizen, left all her lands and tenements in the parish of St. Mary le Bow, describing their situation and acquisition as above, to her executors for sale. William Norton, draper, was to have the first option to purchase, and William Gawtron, draper, her cognatus, the second option; they were also 2 of her executors. In 1414 Norton, Gawtron, William Richeman, chaplain, and John Walpole, citizen and draper, acting as Agnes's executors, sold the tenements to William Crowmer, draper, Robert fitzRobert, senior, grocer, citizens, and William Calaundre, clerk. Probably the intention of this sale was that the purchasers should sell the proper ty back to Norton, who was in possession by 1434. (fn. 2)
In 1434 William Norton, citizen and draper, granted all his tenements in Goose Lane in the parish of St. Mary le Bow, between parts of 3 to the E. and S., Goose Lane to the W., and the churchyard called Pardonchirchehawe to the N., to John Brykles, citizen and draper, and Richard Drax of Surrey, who granted the same back to him in 1435. Later that year Norton granted 5, described as above, to William Gerveys, rector of St. Mary le Bow, William Holgrave, tailor, John Notebroun, hatter, Geoffrey Boleyn, and Thomas Frary, hatter(s), citizens. Possi bly there was some pious or charitable trust involved in this grant, but this is not certain. Gerveys died in 1454. In 1462 Geoffrey Boleyn, alderman, and Thomas Frary, hatter, citizens, the only surviving grantees, granted the same to William Moreland, clerk, John Derby, draper, John Lok, John Alburgh, mercers, Richard Mortymer, Reginald Longdon, John Twygge, John Botiller, William Seintwyn, Henry Newman, Robert Twygge, and Nicholas Muston. It lay between parts of 3 to the E. and S., Goose Lane to the W., and the way leading from the churchyard of St. Mary le Bow church beside the chapel of St. Thomas there to Hosier Lane. These grantees probably were to hold as trustees for the church. By his will of 1459, proved 1463, John Lok, citizen and mercer, left his term in the house in which he lived in Hosier Lane (sic), in the parish of St. Mary le Bow, for sale by his executors. It is not clear if this refers to 5 or not. In 1464 and 1472 5, lying to the W. of 3B, was described as the tenement belonging to the church of St. Mary. Robert Twigg, citizen and mercer, died between 1486 and 1491, leaving his term in properties in London and Kent to the churchwardens of St. Mary le Bow, in which church he was to be buried, to keep an obit for him there. It is possible that this was 5, but not certain. (fn. 3)
In the chantry inquiry of 1546 5 was probably represented by the 2 tenements (one said to be in Hosier Lane) held separately by Robert Sharpe and William Carket by lease, at £2 p.a. each, which were listed in error under the chantry of John Donne (see 3A). In 1548 they were included in the £7 lands held by the rector and churchwardens for some time without any specified intent. William Pierson made a request to purchase them in 1548, at £72 or 18 years purchase. In this request the tenements were said to have been given to the church without condition, 'as appears by their deeds.' The tenement held by William or Thomas Pierson lay to the W. of 3B c. 1548, but in the same year an effective grant of 5 seems to have been made to Thomas Brende of London, scrivener: it was de scribed as 2 messuages separately held by William Carkeke and Robert Sherp in Goose Lane in the parish of St. Mary le Bow, with cellars, solars, 'les ware houses', ways, paths, etc., to be held by fealty in free burgage, with the issues since Easter last. (fn. 4)
The descent of 5 during the later 16th and most of the 17th centuries is not known. In 1638 the most probable occupant of 5 is Mr. Cale, whose house, valued at £16 p.a., was listed under Bow Lane immediately before 3B. In 1661 5 was probably occupied by Samuel Tomlins and Thomas Welkins. In 1666 Samuel Tomlins, silkman, occupied a house with 4 hearths, and Thomas Wilkins, bodice-maker, another with 4 hearths, both in Bow churchyard. The property was burnt in the Great Fire, and in May 1669 a foundation was surveyed for Mr. Samuel Tomlins in Bow churchyard. It was bounded to the S. by 'Mr. Chalke's yard' (presumably 3A), to the E. by Mr. Farr (presumably 3B), to the N. by Church Lane, and to the W. by Goose Lane. A strip 9 1/2 ft. (2.9 m.) wide N.-S., extending across the N. end of this tenement and 3B was cut off to enlarge the way to the churchyard, but all the compensation was paid to Mrs. Gazeley of 3B; possibly she had come to some agreement with Tomlins over this, as it seems probable that part of the area cut off had been part of 5. The N. neighbour of 3A in 1669 was said to be Thomas Cruspe, and the W. neighbour of 3B in 1669 was Mr. Gasely; possibly these refer to tenants of 5. (fn. 5)