Historical Gazetteer of London Before the Great Fire Cheapside; Parishes of All Hallows Honey Lane, St Martin Pomary, St Mary Le Bow, St Mary Colechurch and St Pancras Soper Lane. Originally published by Centre for Metropolitan History, London, 1987.
This free content was born digital. All rights reserved.
This is the large property formed by the amalgamation, c. 1369, of 8 and 10. It seems probable that at some later date, probably in the 15th century, 9 also was incorporated in the property, so that it occupied the whole block between 12 and Bow churchyard to the N., Goose Lane and 7 to the E., 6 to the S., and 12 and a tenement in the parish of All Hallows Bread Street to the W. For a reconstruction of the plan in the seventeenth century, see Fig. 5.
Later fourteenth to early sixteenth century
In 1369 William de Waynflete, archdeacon of Norwich, John de Bures, citizen and draper, John Coraunt, and Henry de Markeby, citizens and goldsmiths, and William de Calseby, clerk, granted 11 to Helmyngus Leget, Robert Crull, parson of Stepney, and Thomas Hervy, describing it as a tenement or messuage (formerly 8), with shops, solars, and cellars, in Goose Lane between 10 and 12 to the N., 6 to the S. Goose Lane to the E., and the tenement sometime of Elias de Suthfolk to the W., together with a tenement or messuage (formerly 10), between 9 to the E., 12 to the W., the churchyard to the N., and 8 (the tenement of Richarde de Gloucestre sometime of Elias le Hosyere) to the S. (fn. 1)
Later in 1369 Legat, Crull, and Hervy granted 11 to William de Greseleye, rector of Byfeld, John de Plonfeld, rector of Foston, and John Vincent dictus Salesbury of London. These 3 may have been acting as feoffees for Alice Perrers, Edward III's mistress, as John de Freton, clerk, and Robert Brom' of Warwick, who acquired the properties before 1377, certainly were. De Freton and Brom' leased the tenement and domicilia, late of John Hiltoft, to John More, citizen and mercer, for 20 years from 1377 at a rent of £6. 13s. 4d. The reversion of the property passed to the Crown on Alice Perrers's forfeiture in 1377, when the property was described as a tenement with 3 small dwellings (mansiones) annexed, in the parish of St. Mary le Bow, late of John Hiltoft. They were valued at £14 p.a., less £2. 15s. rent to St. Mary Spital, 13s. 4d. to the churchwardens of St. Mary le Bow, and £2 in repairs, and held by John More on lease as above. The rent to St. Mary Spital was probably due from both the former 8 and 10, and the rent to St. Mary le Bow from 8. The king confirmed More's term in the property, on his petition, in 1378, and subsequently granted the property itself to Sir William de Wyndesor, kt., husband of Alice Perrers. In 1380 de Wyndesor confirmed More's term, and then granted the rent and reversion to John Middleton, Robert Warbolton, John Bosham, William Rykhill, Robert Charleton, William Calceby, clerk, William Essex, John Shadworth, John Loveye, Roger Canon, John Secheford, and John Seymour, and with Alice his wife quitclaimed in the same. (fn. 2)
John More's term appears to have lapsed or to have been surrendered before 5 September 1384, when he was condemned to death, and his lands forfeited, for his support of John de Northampton. The Crown took these properties in error, though they were then in the possession of Charleton, Bosham, Rykhill, Calceby, Shadworth, Lovey, Canon, Secheford, and Seymore, and granted them to Sir Thomas Clifford, kt. This grant was revoked in 1389, after an inquisition, and the properties restored to Charleton and the rest. John More was not executed but imprisoned, and he or a successor seems to have regained an interest in the property. In 1393 the prior of St. Mary Spital complained of intrusion (probably disseisin of rent) by John More, William Rykhill, John Seymour, John Boseham, and William Shyryngham, in his free tenement in the parish of St. Mary le Bow. In 1397 and 1398 the rector of St. Mary le Bow complained of intrusion by More, Rykhill, Calceby, Shadworth, Canon, and Seymour, in his free tenement in the parish of St. Mary le Bow. By 1402 Rikhill and Seymour had released their right to Shadworth, and their other co-feoffees had died. John Shadworth, citizen and mercer, then granted the tenement and domicilia to Sir Walter Malet, Master Denis Lopham, Sir John Bury, clerks, and Simon Chevene, mercer. In 1403 the prior of St. Mary Spital complained of intrusion by More, Shadworth, and Seymour, and again in 1407 against More alone. (fn. 3)
Walter Malet, rector of St. Mary le Bow, died in 1404; in 1408 Simon Chevene quitclaimed to Lopham and Bury, and they in 1409 granted the tenement and domicilia to Alice, widow of John More late citizen and mercer, Robert Neuton, clerk, and James Surynden, citizen and mercer. Later in 1409 Alice, Robert Neuton, and James Surynden granted to Walter Cotton, mercer, John atte Lee, Alan Everard, mercer, citizens, John Walden, esquire, John Hertilpol, clerk, and William Waldern, citizen and mercer, both the tenement and domicilia late of John Hiltoft, which his executors granted to Helmyng Leget, Robert Crulle, and Thomas Hervy, and also the lands and tenements the present grantors had in the parish of St. Mary le Bow by the grant of Lopham and Bury. (fn. 4) It was probably at about this time that 9, not recorded after 1369, was incorporated with 11. (fn. 5)
In 1410 Cotton, atte Lee, Everard, Walden, Hertilpole, and Waldern granted the tenements described as above to William Screne, William Rikhill, John Cosham, mercer, John Coventre, Richard Coventre, and Robert Coventre, mercers, citizens. This grant was probably to hold to the use of John Coventre, citizen and mercer (d. 1429), who also held 104/43, in which he probably lived. In 1429 Richard and Robert Coventre and William Rikhill granted all those domicilia, lands, and tenements in the parish of St. Mary le Bow in Cordwainer Street ward with which they were enfeoffed to the use of John, to Richard Collyng, clerk, and John Fray. Collyng and Fray immediately granted the same tenements to Alice, widow of John Coventre, and her assigns, to hold for life while she remained single. On her death or remarriage the tenements were to remain to Henry, Philippa, and Thomas, children of John, in successive tail, followed by Robert and Richard, John's brothers, Katharine Rykhill his sister, William Coventre his brother, Stephen Causton, citizen and mercer, all in successive tail, and ultimately to the right heirs of Robert and Richard Coventre and of William Rykhill. In 1458 the tenement late of Henry Coventre, esquire, lay to the E. and S. of 12. (fn. 6)
In 1483 Nicholas Alwyn, John Hawgh, Henry Cantlowe, and William Haryott junior recovered seisin of 4 messuages in the parish of St. Mary le Bow, Cordwainer Street ward, against Peter Coventre, probably the son and heir of Henry (see 43). Peter quitclaimed in the same in 1485. In 1502 John Hawe, citizen and alderman, quitclaimed to Nicholas Alwyn, citizen and alderman, in the same 4 messuages that he (as John Hawgh), and Alwyn, with Cantlowe and Haryot, both now dead, had recovered against Peter Coventre. Also in 1502, John Pykton, Richard Golofre, and William Carkeke quitclaimed to Alwyn in the 4 messuages in the parish of St. Mary le Bow, which they and he, together with William Haryot, John Mill, Thomas Blaunche, and William Langrych, now dead, had by the grant of John Bentley of London, chaplain. Probably this latter quitclaim relates to conveyances, otherwise not recorded, made to secure the same 4 messuages and not to different properties. By his will, dated 1505 but not proved until 1518 (though he died in 1506), Nichols Alwyn, citizen and mercer, left his 4 messuages in the parish of St. Mary le Bow to his executors, to hold in trust for his son Francis until the latter was 26, and then to settle on him and his issue, with successive remainder in tail to Nicholas son of Richard Alwyn (Richard was probably the testator's son), Joan Wode daughter of Henry Cantlowe, and Richard Cantlowe, and ultimately to the parish of St. Mary le Bow, to augment 'Coventrees chantry'. The 4 messuages were valued at £8. 16s. 8d. p.a. clear. (fn. 7)
Francis Alwyn, citizen and mercer, inherited the property, and in 1518 divided it, selling 3 messuages in Bow Lane alias Goose Lane for £20 to John Sedley, one of the auditors of the Exchequer, in part payment of a debt of £33. 14s. 7d., of which the remainder was to be paid out of the rent of Francis Alwyn's great house in Bow churchyard. Francis Alwyn and his wife Bridget conveyed and quitclaimed in the 3 messuages to John Sedley, John Roper, William Draper, George Dalyson, and Thomas Caundisshe. (fn. 8) These 3 messuages, probably correspondng to 9 and the easternmost part of 8, are described below as 11A; the rest of 11, comprising 10 and the rest of 8, is described below as 11B until 1605, when it was further divided.
11A: sixteenth and seventeenth centuries
The £1. 3s. 4d. rent to St. Mary Spital, formerly charged on the whole of 8, was now considered to be due from 11A only. The executors of Nicholas Allwyn, alderman, paid it in 1516, Francis Allwyn in 1519, and John Sedley, gentleman, in 1523 and 1539. 'Master Sydeley' was recorded as paying it to the Crown from the 1540s to the 17th century. The rent was sold to William Doughty, gentleman, during the Interregnum, but was recovered by the Crown after the Restoration, when it was said to be paid by one Hutchinson, in Goose Lane. (fn. 9)
The property remained with the Sedley family until at least the late 16th century. John Wiat, mercer, one of the N. neighbours of 6B, may have been tenant in 1573, but in 1587 William Sedley of Southfleet (Kent) agreed to suffer a recovery by William Davernett, gentleman, and Philip Aram of London, yeoman, of 4 (sic) messuages or tenements in Goose Lane, in the parish of St. Mary le Bow. The recovery was to be at the cost of John Davennet, citizen and merchant tailor, and to the use of John Sedley, gentleman, brother of William Sedley, and his (John's) issue, with remainder to their brother Richard Sedley, gentleman, and his issue, and to William's right heirs. (fn. 10)
11A consisted of several tenements; the most probable occupiers in 1638 were all or some of the following: Nicols, with a house worth £6 p.a., Daniel, with one worth £6 p.a., Richard Russell, with one worth £8 p.a., all in Goose Lane, and Mr. Leech, with one worth £30 p.a. in Bow churchyard. 11A appears to be identical with the tenements in Bow Lane or Goose Lane which in May 1666 John Eaton, citizen and mercer, and his wife Katharine sold to Thomas Tomlins, citizen and grocer, for £350. The tenements were to be conveyed by a fine, in which they would be described as 6 messuages with appurtenances in the parish of St. Mary le Bow in Cheap ward. The tenants then were John Beath or Beach, barber, John Body, 'wheeler', John Ashborne, 'bodie maker', Sarah Middleton, widow, Anne Walford, widow, and Oliver Hawkeshead, victualler. In 1661 Nicholas Beech, John Boddy, John As[hburne?], Widow Middleton, Anne Walford, Widow Ashburner, and Oliver Hawkeshead lived in this part of the parish. In 1666 11A seems to have comprised 4 or 5 small tenements and one larger one. There were 3 small houses, on the S. side of Goose Lane where it ran E.-W., occupied in 1666 by -- Beach, the parish clerk (3 hearths); Bridget Coddy, widow, and 3 other pensioners, in one house with one empty room and 5 hearths in all; and Susan Ashborne, widow, with 1 hearth and 3 empty rooms, each with one hearth, in one house. On the W. side of Goose Lane where it ran N.-S. was a house with 5 hearths, occupied by Thomas Bayley, porter, and possibly another one with 4 hearths, occupied by Thomas Roberts, although this last could have been part of 11B1 or 11B2 (q.v.). Oliver Hawkeshead, victualler, occupied a house apparently on the corner of Bow churchyard and Goose Lane, with 10 hearths. Nicholas Booth (? Beech), Ursula Body, widow, John Ashburne 'deceased', Roberts, and Bayley, were listed as occupying houses in Goose Alley burnt in the Fire, and Oliver Hoggshead (sic) as having one in Bow churchyard at that time. (fn. 11)
After the Great Fire
By 1668 the sites of the 5 smaller tenements belonged to Francis Camfield, citizen and grocer. One foundation for the 2 small tenements to the W. of the lane was surveyed in April 1668; it probably included the width of an alleyway running westward between the 2 parts of 11A, giving access to the back of 11B. Camfield rebuilt this tenement, and by 1669 Thomas Baylie was tenant, with a 21- year lease. The foundation for the 3 shops or houses on the S. side of Goose Lane, said to have been occupied at the time of the Fire by Nicholas Beech, barber, Widow Body, and John Ashburner, 'bodis maker', was surveyed on 20 April 1668. Camfield contracted with Thomas Petchet of Shoreditch to rebuild the 3 messuages in January 1669. The houses were to be of similar size, one room to each floor, with a cellar, 3 floors, and garret, with larger windows to the front (N.) and smaller backward (overlooking 6B). The cost was to be £340, in addition to about £30 spent by Camfield in cleaning and laying the foundations, and the last payment was made in June 1669. The new tenants were Nicholas Breech, William Mowbery, and Edmond Greene, on 21-year leases. (fn. 12)
The site of the larger tenement on the corner of Goose Lane and the churchyard was surveyed in 1669 for Captain Christopher Taylor. It is not certain whether this means that the freehold had been divided. The site measured approximately 61 ft. (18.59 m.) in length and 20-21 ft. (6.1 m. to 6.4 m.) in width; it probably therefore included the site of the medieval tenement 9 and some part of 8. A survey of Camfield's foundation to the S. had given Mr. Betsworth as the N. neighbour in 1668. (fn. 13)
11B: sixteenth and seventeenth centuries
In 1518 Francis Alwyn and his wife Bridget granted 11B to John Crank, goldsmith, William Cleryng, girdler, John Dunstall, grocer, Ralph Dodm', brewer, John Hill, haberdasher, and Ralph Dyall, mercer, describing it as a messuage or tenement with shops, cellar(s), solar(s), and apurtenances in the parish of St. Mary le Bow, in which Nicholas Alwyn, late mayor, had lived, to hold to the use of the grantors and Francis's heirs. In 1522 John Gostwyke and William Carkeke, junior, recovered a great messuage in the parish of St. Mary le Bow in Cordwainer Street ward against Ralph Dyall, who called Francis Alwyn and Nicholas Alwyn, gentleman, to warrant. The descent of the property after this recovery is not certain. It was probably the property occupied in 1541 and 1544 by Owyn Hawkyns, mercer, which he subsequently sold to John Loveis. By his will of 1560, Loveis left the messuage or dwelling-house in Bow churchyard he had bought of Hawkyns to his son Humphrey in tail, with remainder to his daughter Elizabeth in tail. By 1597 Henry Beaumont of Coleoverton (Leics.) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of John Loveys, had sold this messuage to William Stone, clothworker, and his wife Barbara. In that year Stone and his wife sold the messuage with cellars, solars, warehouses, yards, void grounds, entries, etc., sometime occupied by Edmund Gresham (one of the N. neighbours of 6B in 1573), which they had acquired as above, to John Marsham of London, gentleman, for £640. The present occupants were Hippocratis de Othen, physician (medicus), Roger Jones, merchant tailor, and Humphrey Hawker, clothworker, or their assigns. (fn. 14)
By 1601 11B had passed to John Hall, notary public, citizen, and saddler, who leased part, probably the northernmost part abutting on Bow churchyard, to Humphrey Hawker for 21 years. By his will of 1606 Hall divided his great messuage in Bow churchyard between his wife Elizabeth and his daughter Mary Hall, leaving to Mary in tail the part occupied by William Parnell, which had an entry to Goose Lane (probably between parts of 11A, q.v.), together with a room occupied by Hugh Cheyney in Goose Lane on the S. side of the entry. This part is described as 11B1, below. He left to Elizabeth the greater part of the tenement, being the part held on lease by Humphrey Hawker, the part occupied by the testator, and another room occupied by Hugh Cheyney in Goose Lane, on the N. side of the entry to Parnell's part. This is described as 11B2 below. (fn. 15) For a reconstruction of the arrangement in the early seventeenth century, see Fig. 5.
This may not have been a large property, and does not seem to have extended as far westward as 8 had done. Hall left it to his daughter Mary and her issue, with remainder to his own heirs by his wife Elizabeth, and then to his son John and his heirs. The rent and profits of the messuage occupied by Parnell were to go to Roger Allanson, saddler, Robert Shawe, cooper, and Henry Simpson, saddler, citizens, during the minority of Hall's children, to spend on their education and keep for them. The descent of the property for most of the 17th century is not known. William Parnell, the tenant, seems to have acquired the freehold. He was presumably the William Parnell, wax-chandler, who died in 1622 and was survived by 3 brothers, of whom 2 had sons. One of these was probably the Mr. Parnell who in 1638 was tithe-payer for a house in Goose Lane valued at £10 p.a. In 1642 gunpowder was sent from the house of Parnell, 'a tailor dwelling in an alley near Bow church', to Cheshire. Richard Parnell, citizen and waxchandler, probably William's nephew, bought the White Horse in Goose Lane (11B1) from Edward Rous, Alexander Oliver, and his wife Jane, who may have been executors or intermediaries. By his will, dated and proved in 1645, Richard left the White Horse, in which he lived, to his wife Mary for life, with remainder to his son Edward. Mary Parnell, widow, of the parish of St. Mary le Bow, died in 1647 or 1648. In 1661 Edward Parnell, gentleman, probably Richard's son, leased his messuage in Goose Lane to Theophilus Dorrington, citizen and merchant tailor, for 15 years at £21 rent, and subsequently by will left the messuage to his son Richard, to be held by his wife and executrix Mary Parnell until Richard came of age. Theophilus Darlington (sic) occupied a house with 6 hearths, in 1666; it is not clear whether Thomas Roberts, who had a house with 4 hearths, was occupying another part of 11B1, or part of 11A or 11B2. (fn. 16)
11B1: after the Great Fire
Dorrington assigned his lease to William Ford, citizen and apothecary, who was prepared to rebuild on encouragement. The Fire Court confirmed the agreement between Mary Parnell and Ford, by which the latter was granted 40 years in addition to his term, and the rent was reduced to £5 p.a. The ground was said to be 'back ground'; no foundation-survey seems to have been made, but Dorrington's land lay to the W. of Francis Camfield's 3 shops, part of 11A, in 1668. The land to the S. of 12 and to the N. of the westernmost part of 6B belonged to Pitman or Cooke, who held 11B2. (fn. 17)
By his will of 1606, proved 1609, John Hall, notary public, citizen, and saddler, left to his wife Elizabeth for life the part of 11 he himself occupied as a dwelling house, the part held on lease by Humphrey Hawker, and one room occupied by Hugh Cheyney, lying in (or near) Goose Lane, on the N. side of the entry to 11B1.
After Elizabeth's death the part then leased to Hawker was to remain to John Hall, the testator's son, for life, then to the Saddler's Company until £5 should have been paid them by the next heir, then to the sons of John son of the testator, and the testator's issue in successive tail and ultimately to the Saddler's Company. The part occupied by the testator was on Elizabeth's death to remain to their joint issue, and subsequently to the heirs named for Hawker's part. During Elizabeth's life an annuity of £8 was payable out of the part now occupied by the testator, to the heirs to the reversion of that part. (fn. 18)
Elizabeth, widow of John Hall the testator, had named Walter Willenhall, citizen and skinner, by March 1611, when they leased the premises formerly occupied by Hall (possibly also including the room occupied by Cheyney) to William Ashenden and Humphrey Pye of London, scriveners, for 21 years, if Elizabeth should live so long, for £6 rent. Ashenden and Pye also covenanted to make a 'yearly payment' of £27 p.a. to the lessors. In June 1612 Walter Willenhall and Elizabeth assigned her life-interest in the same property, including the rent and yearly payment, to Thomas Hutchinson, citizen and vintner, for the sum of £200. They covenanted that the premises were discharged of all encumbrances, including the £8 annuity to John Hall's heirs. (fn. 19)
In 1619, when Hawker's lease of the front part of the messuage was soon due to expire, William Johnson of Walthamstow, (Essex) and his wife Elizabeth, widow of John Hall, granted a lease of the greater part of the messuage adjoining Bow churchyard to George and Ralph Wightman, citizens and merchant tailors, for 31 years from Michaelmas 1622, if Elizabeth should live so long, for £20 and a loaf of fine sugar worth 16s., yearly. The whole messuage was said to be in the several occupations of Humphrey Pye, and George and Ralph Wightman. The property leased, was probably the part already occupied by the Wightmans. Below ground it contained a cellar, probably occupying the whole width of the property facing Bow churchyard, with windows to front and rear. On the ground floor were a shop and an entry on the W. side of the shop, 64 1/2 ft. (19.66 m.) long, which together probably occupied only half of the width on the ground. On the first floor were: a hall over part of the shop leased and part of a shop occupied by the lessors, a small parlour to the W., a tiled or stone room behind the parlour, a great parlour to the S. of the hall, a tiled gallery to the W. of the great parlour, leading to a paved kitchen. On the second floor were a little chamber over the little parlour, a stone room over the stone room, and a great chamber over the great parlour and (? partly) over the hall; there was a 'dark chamber' behind the great chamber, with a lattice window into the hall, which may therefore have risen through 2 floors. On the third floor were a garret and 2 rooms or garrets, and (probably above them) the great garret and leads towards the churchyard and 12. There was a privy at the S.W. corner of the great chamber and another immediately above it. A small room or study over part of the great chamber was reserved to the lessors. Behind the main block was a yard, not leased with the property, onto which the back windows of the cellar and shop, and the windows of the great parlour and great chamber opened. The windows of the kitchen, which seems to have been behind the main block and linked to it by the gallery, probably also overlooked the yard. Some of the upper rooms had windows on to the gutters or leads, suggesting that different parts of the house rose to different heights; the main block had cellars, 4 floors, and garrets, and the back part at least two floors.
The schedule of fixtures attached to the lease indicates that the house was richly fitted. All the main rooms including the kitchen had windows glazed and barred with iron, and most were walled and ceiled with wainscot. The hall had crests of wood for hangings throughout, and the great parlour was wainscoted with 'french pannell', with settles and portals and had a 'fair window of masonry, garnished on the inside with 5 marble pillars and 8 seats of marble stones.' The great chamber was ceiled with plaster of Paris, quartered with crests of wood, and had 'a fair bay window' and a wainscoted place serving as a bedstead. The lessees covenanted to repair, glaze, pave in front of the premises as far as the channel, and pay half the cost of cleansing the vault, and to allow the lessors to enter to view the let premises and carry out repairs on the part reserved to themselves. Humphrey Pye of the parish of St. Mary le Bow died in 1625, but it is not clear who succeeded to his interest in 11. Ralph Wightman, citizen and merchant tailor, of the same parish, died in 1628 or 1629, leaving all his goods to his wife Katharine and children James, Dorcas, and Rebecca. (fn. 20)
In 1632 William Johnson, now described as gentleman, and his wife Elizabeth leased to William Hurst, citizen and merchant tailor of London, the messuage with cellars, solars, shop, halls, chambers, yards, etc., in Bow churchyard, late in the occupation of Newman Rookes, citizen and clothworker, and now occupied by Hurst, for 20 1/2 years if Elizabeth should live so long. Hurst was bound to repay a debt of Johnson's to Peter Leonarts, at £18 p.a. for the next 3 1/4 years, so for that period he was to pay only a peppercorn rent, and thereafter £26 p.a. for the remaining 17 1/4 years. The property leased appears to have been the shop and probably the other intermixed rooms reserved from the lease to the Wightmans, with a substantial messuage behind, and the yard between. This was probably the property originally occupied by John Hall, leased in 1611 to Ashenden and Pye (which lease was about to expire), and occupied by Pye in 1619. Hutchinson had presumably surrendered his interest. The lessors covenanted that they would pay the £8 annuity charged on the property. (fn. 21) The schedule to the lease mentions the shop, a paved yard, a little yard, a kitchen with a cellar under, a hall, probably on the first floor, with a buttery, parlour and chamber adjacent, a great chamber over the hall and a chamber over the parlour, with a study and a painted chamber, probably on the same floor, and a chamber next to the leads with a door to the garret. There was also a 'hotthouse' with a furnace and 2 lead pipes with a brass cock, a room next to the hothouse, with a door to the privy, and a small wainscoted parlour under the hothouse. The fixtures were less minutely described than in the lease of the other part of the house, and seem to have been less rich, but the hall and parlour were wainscoted and the other rooms had wainscot doors. (fn. 22)
The descent of these properties after this date is not known. Mr. Hall, probably John Hall the younger, made a lease to Hurst of the reversion expectant on the death of Elizabeth Johnson. By his will, dated 1635 and proved 1636, William Hurst, citizen and merchant tailor, required his executor Thomas Leaman, gentleman and attorney of the court of King's Bench, to ensure that the most benefit be made of his now dwelling house, which he held of Mr. Johnson by lease and of Hall by lease, partly at present and partly in expectation on the death of Mr. Johnson's wife. If Hurst's wife Joan wished to live there, she was to pay a reasonable rent; if she left it, it was to be let for the benefit of his children John, George, Samuel, William, and Elizabeth. In 1638 Mr. Hurst (? Mrs. Hurst) occupied a house in Bow churchyard worth £20 p.a.; Mr. More, whose name occurs next to Hurst's as tithe payer for a house worth £20, may have held the other part of 11. In 1661 11B2 was occupied by Thomas Pytman and possibly also William Mather. In 1666 Thomas Pitman, joiner, occupied a house with 8 hearths in Bow churchyard; another house with 9 hearths, listed after Pitman's, was then empty. Pitman was in occupation at the time of the Fire; Brian Winfield, listed after him, perhaps held the other part. (fn. 23)
11B2: after the Great Fire
In May 1670 two foundations were surveyed for Thomas Cooke, 'the one of them entered by Pittman, both in Bow churchyard.' The plot was evidently only the N. part of 11, measuring 45 ft. N.-S. (13.72 m.). The remainder of the site does not seem to have been surveyed, but Cooke was given as the N. neighbour of part of 6B and Pittman as the W. abutment of part of 8, as the S. and E. abutment of 12, and as the E. abutment of the Star Inn in Bread Street. (fn. 24)