Historical Gazetteer of London Before the Great Fire Cheapside; Parishes of All Hallows Honey Lane, St Martin Pomary, St Mary Le Bow, St Mary Colechurch and St Pancras Soper Lane. Originally published by Centre for Metropolitan History, London, 1987.
This free content was born digital. All rights reserved.
This property lay on the E. side of Soper Lane, between 20 to the S., 18 (or Popkirtle Lane) to the E., and 22 to the N. Because it was incorporated with 18 and 22 from the early 14th century, it is not clear how large the original property was. In the 16th century a part of 18 and 21-22 was sold off separately: it is described below as 21, but may have been larger or smaller than the medieval 21. In 1858 its site lay within those of nos. 84-5 Queen Street.
Thirteenth and early fourteenth centuries
Gilbert de Paris had land and houses to the N. of 20 in 1254. Michael de Peris was named as a former owner in 1285, though whether before or after Gilbert is not clear. John le Callere held the tenement in 1278-9. By his will, proved in 1285, Robert de Meldeburne left £1. 10s. quit-rent from this tenement to his son Richard. Richard de Meldebourne came into full possession of the property, which he granted to Roger de Paris, who in 1317 granted it to Simon de Paris, citizen and mercer, who already held 18 and 22. 21 was described in the latter grant as a shop. It subsequently descended with Simon de Paris's other properties, as described under 18. (fn. 1)
Sixteenth and seventeenth centuries
18, 21, and 22 were bought by Robert Saunders, citizen and carpenter, from the Crown in 1548. The whole property had been described as a carpenter's yard, and probably much of it was open space. Saunders and his wife Elizabeth sold a plot separately from the rest of the property to John Bulle, citizen and mercer, who in 1550 sold the same plot to Augustine Hanson, citizen and mercer. The plot measured 24 ft. 4 in. N.-S. by 13 ft. 4 in. E.-W. (7.42 m. by 4.06 m.), and was bounded by Soper Lane to the W., Saunders's yard to the N. and E., and William Chyck's tenement (see 20) to the S. This plot could have corresponded to 21 as it was before, to part of 21, or to 21 and part of 22. Hanson probably granted the plot back to Bulle shortly afterwards. Bulle clearly intended to build a new house on this plot, and when the rest of 18 and 22 was sold in 1551 reference was made to a jetty and light hereafter to be made on the W. side of the yard, over the then sawpit, measuring 20 ft. 4 in. N.-S. by 3 ft. 8 in. E.-W. (6.2 m. by 1.12 m.), concerning which the purchaser was to acquit the vendor against Bulle. The jetty was probably to be part of Bulle's house, and its length is only slightly less than the length of his whole plot. In 1552 Bulle called in the city's viewers in a dispute with his neighbour William Cheke (cf. 19); they said he could build his frame 'upright and plumb' from the ground, according to a deed he had, and that each party should bear away his own rainwater. Building may not have been complete by 1558, when Bulle complained that the house of his neighbour (? to the E.), John Grevell, waxchandler, overhung his own ground on which he was about to build and set a new frame and house. The viewers said that Bulle could set his building close to the plate of Grevell's house, 15 ft. 7 in. (4.75 m.) N.-S., and build upright from that as high as he pleased. Each party should bear away his own rainwater. (fn. 2)
The later 16th and 17th century owners or occupants of 21 are not known for certain. The occupant of a house between 22 and the corner property (19) in 1662-3 was George Kays. In 1666 this house, which had 5 hearths, was empty. No foundation was surveyed for this property after the Great Fire, but Mr. Pauncett or Pounsett was given as the N. abutment of 19 and the S. abutment of 22 (qq.v.), and his property must have had a frontage to Soper Lane of about 22 ft. (6.71 m.). The property was probably enlarged by the addition of a strip taken out of Soper Lane, about 2 ft. 8 in. (810 mm.) wide at the N. end and 4 ft. 8 in. (1.42 m.) wide at the S. end, as part of the widening and straightening of Soper Lane to make Queen Street. (fn. 3)