Historical Account of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne Including the Borough of Gateshead. Originally published by Mackenzie and Dent, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 1827.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
LITERARY, SCIENTIFIC, AND MECHANICAL INSTITUTION.
Associations for imparting scientific knowledge to persons engaged in mechanical pursuits were, a few years ago, formed in England, Scotland, Ireland, America, and France. The great utility of such institutions being obvious, a few persons agreed to convene, by advertisement, a public meeting, to be held in Fletcher's Long Room, on February 26, 1824, in order to consider the expediency of attempting the formation of such an establishment in Newcastle upon Tyne. At this meeting, Mr. George Stephenson, engineer, presided, the plan was approved of, resolutions were passed for carrying it into effect, and a committee was appointed to draw up the necessary rules. Another public meeting was held in the Joiners' Hall on the 16th of March following, Mr. Robert Robson, mason, in the chair, when the present rules were adopted, a general committee chosen, and the Institution was finally organized. As it was not designed for mechanics alone, but for the benefit of all the industrious classes of Society, and especially of ingenious young men whose limited income precluded their admission into more expensive establishments, it very properly was designated, "The Literary, Scientific, and Mechanical Institution, of Newcastle upon Tyne."
Persons at the age of 20 years are eligible to become members of this society; but young men between 14 and 20 may be admitted as reading members, and to attend the classes. Members are chosen by ballot, and each subscribes twelve shillings annually. The general meetings of the society are held on the first Monday in every month. The officers and committee are chosen at the anniversary meeting in March. (fn. 1) All books or discussions on party politics and controversial divinity are strictly prohibited.
By great exertion, the nucleus of a library was formed, and a large school-room in Pilgrim Street was opened for the use of the members on the 27th of April after the institution of the society; and, shortly after, Mr. Charles Purvis was appointed librarian. On May 11, the first regular monthly meeting was held; when an appropriate Introductory Address was read by the Rev. W. Turner, one of the vice-presidents, and which was ordered to be printed. On November 8, the library was removed to another school-room in St. Nicholas' Church-yard, from whence it was removed, in July, 1825, to the Masonic Hall, Newgate Street, which was fitted up in an economical, convenient, and comfortable manner. The apartments below the library-room are appropriated to the use of the classes and the meetings of the committee. After the society had entered upon these commodious premises, the Rev. W. Turner, assisted by Mr. John Daglish, chemist, and Mr. Henry Smith, gratuitously delivered to the members an instructive course of lectures on Chemistry. In the spring of this year, Mr. J. Jackson had delivered to the Institution a course of lectures on popular subjects of Natural Philosophy, in Fletcher's Long Room, agreeably to a plan suggested by the committee, and by which the members were gratified without encroaching on the funds. The general meetings have been rendered interesting by papers from Mr. John Dobson, Mr. Eneas Mackenzie, Mr. Henry Atkinson, &c. and latterly by a series of scientific lectures, communicated through Henry Brougham, Esq. M. P. Lectures on the steam-engine have also been delivered by Mr. E. Galloway, jun. engineer.
|Donations (fn. 2)||271||1||0||Books and binding||419||6||5½|
|Annual benefactions||31||10||0||Advertising, printing, & stationary||43||19||2|
|Interest||1||16||2||Rent, taxes, coals, candles, cleaning, &c.||52||10||0|
|Bal. due from W. Holmes, treasurer||10||10||0½|
This society equals, if not surpasses, in practical utility, most similar ones. There are above 400 payable members; and the library already contains about 3000 volumes, several of which are both scarce and expensive. Many of the books were presented by the late Bishop of Durham, the Rev. T. H. Scott, the Rev. W. Turner, W. C. Trevelyan, Esq. James Losh, Esq. Messrs. Charnley, Mackenzie, Clarke, Murray, Galloway, and many others. Every encouragement has been given to the formation of classes, for studying the practical sciences, and those arts and acquirements most useful in life. Classes for studying Chemistry, the Mathematics, Geography and the Use of the Globes, Architectural Drawing, Figure and Landscape Drawing, and the French Language, have been organized. Most of these continue their studies with great perseverance. The Language Class and Figure Drawing Class are attended by masters, whom the students pay by a small weekly subscription. The other classes have hitherto been taught gratuitously by some of the members. Thus the Institution may very properly be styled an extensively useful "school of instruction."—"Nothing," it is observed in the first year's annual report, "can present to the philanthropist such a pleasing picture as the orderly, respectful, and attentive behaviour of the young men who every evening attend the library, to study the pages of illustrious philosophers, moralists, historians, travellers, and mechanics; thus qualifying themselves to become intelligent and respectable members of society, instead of spending their time in the streets, in ale-houses, or in loose company, to the injury of their health, their character, and their happiness. Were masters and fathers of families to visit the Institution, we might calculate on the zealous support of every one who regards the welfare of the rising generation."