Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
3. Friday, Mrs Wood & Pris dined with us; Tovey came about 3. discoursed me about taking some phisick; about 5 I & my daughter went out; retorned agen from the Haynarket; Dr Angells cosen came to see us; daughter was with him. I was not. daughter went out (with Mrs Wood) to visit &c.
7. Tuesday, Ord, Stodart, Browning & Mainwaring dined with us we discoursed about Rogers daughters & Frodesley, after diner they were to consider &c Progers came about 6, discoursed of his daughter going to Chester, Mrs Booth; went past 7. Lloyd & Parker were with me about 5.
April 8. Wednesday, Wood, his lady & daughters; Coling, his wife, Maxwell & Mainwaring dined with us; they all went about 5. Bidolph came about 8; stayd awhile; Morgan Whitley's man came out of the contrey; is to retorne tomorrow; as he says; Bidolph came at 8, stayd till 10.
10. Friday, (Good Friday) I & Mainwaring, daughter &c. received the Sacrament from Mr Hancock who came to administer it to us; he dined with us; went past 2. I gave him 1/2 guiney. Mainwaring 10 shillings.
11 Satorday, Mainwaring dined at home; Hopkins came after diner. they went out together; I & daughter went to the parke; Mount came about 7 with a draught of another codicill about settlement if Ashton is paying off its mortgages.
12. Sonday, no company dined with us; onely William Mainwaring came when we had dined, after he had eaten he & his brother went out; Wood came past 6; Mainwaring stayed 1/2 houer. Mainwaring came agen & supt; Salmon came to us; we parted at 10.
13. Monday, the taylor came to mend my new clothes; Jones came to see me; brought 20 li. with him which I gave my daughter for use in the house; brother Peter dined with us; went at 3. daughter went abRood to visit.
16. Thursday, Alderman Lewes came about 12. discoursed of my son's concernes, his debts, Trust &c. Jones came with him; they went about 7. Mainwaring, Andrews brother dined with us; they went about 3; onely Mainwaring stayd till neare 5 talking with me & Huson about sons accounts &c daughter went abRood.
17. Friday, Kate Morgan dined with us; Mrs Offley came before 2; whilest they were [with] us we had the sad account of account of my deare sonne Thomas death; they stayd not long; Mainwaring & Huson were with me about 4; we sealed up Huson's books & accounts which concerned my sonnes estate; after supper Mainwaring & Salmon were with me, had a glasse of wine, parted at 10.
18. Satorday, Kate Morgan came past 11; stayd not long; Huson was with me, promised to goe to Humfreys about the Patent srim? sons bond &c; Priscilla dined with us; after diner came Alderman Lewes & Tovey to discourse of my deare son's concernes, his funerall, the charge of it &c. about 5 daughter & I went to Hyde Park; retorned past 6. past 7 Mount came, I sealed 2 codicills.
20. Monday, Herrington came to see me; then came Mount; I gave him directions to frame my will anew; since it has pleased God to take my sonne & daughter from me; I went to the House past 12; retorned past 1. Sir Roger Puliston told me Lord Maxfeild had offerd him the Regiment of Flintshire (before my son's decease) he intended to have writ to my sonne about [it]; told me he would not meddle with it if I would have it for myselfe or any frind of ours; I thanked him for his civility; desired him to accept of it; Salmon dined with us; I & daughter went to take the ayre before 6. retorned at 7. went to the Crosse Keys; there was Wood, Hopkins &c came home past 9.
21. Tuesday, Sir Michael Corbets steward came to me about treating for the purchase of Frodesley; brother, Mrs Wood & Pris dined with us, I & daughter went to the parke at 6, retorned at 7.I went to the club, retorned past 9.
27. Monday, I went to the House past 11. we were prorogued to the 16th of June; I dined at home; cosen Baskervile, her sonne Wiggins; Lloyd & brother dined with us; went all about 3. Lloyd discoursed me about the Receivers place &c. I went to the club past 7.
28. Tuesday, Mount came past 11; read over the draught of my will; dined with us (& Mainwaring). went about 3. past 6 Horton brought the mounteth?; stayd not, I & daughter going out , we had a great stop of coaches in the Strand (the Venetian Ambassador having made his entry) I went to the club; there was Titus Gore, Partridge & our usuall company.
29. Wednesday, Twyford (an attorney) came about the money Davyes owes Golborne; Fowler came with his bill to discourse of hyring horses for our journey; we were invited to dine at Woods; Pris came but went home to diner; we dined at Woods (Bidolph with us) retorned past 4. I went to the club.
30. Thursday, Gibson came at 12 with writings &c. dined with us & Mainwaring; went at 3 Lasden came, stayd an houer; I went to Ludgate Hill called at Minshalls, they were abRood; went to the club &c. Alderman Lewes & Dashwood was with us past 5.