Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Aug. 1st. Monday, went to the wells & to Thomsons with Biddolph, my daughter &c; dined at home with Biddolph, 2 Minshalls; Farmer made us a visit, dranck a glasse of wine &c went in the evening to Rustall; stayd not.
3. Wednesday, went to the wells; went to visit Farmer & Mrs Fettyplace, after dinner had a bottle of wine with them &c; supt at home with Biddolph & Minshall. Sir William Basset, Lady & sister came to visit us in the afternoone.
5. Friday, went to the wells, dined at home; walked with Mr Herbert, then with Mr Griffith &c. in the morning; after dinner went with Biddolph & daughter to visit Sir William Basset &c; they were abroad; retorned home.
6. Satorday, went to the wells; then to Povey the barber; met Sir Thomas Griffith; went with Biddolph; my daughter, Tovey & Mr Millington to eate oysters; afterwards met Mr Cook (of the Sunne Taverne) apointed to meete him at night; Millington dined with us; Biddolph, Minshall & I went in the evening to the Castle; there we met Cook, Renew & Mellet; parted neare 9.
7. Sonday, went to the wells & to chappell; Cook & Mellet dined with us; went to chappell in the afternoone; then with Biddolph & my daughter to visit Sir William Basset &c; saw him & his sister; Sir John Austin was there, stayd not; we retorned about 8. supt.
8. Monday, went to the wells & to chappell, dined at home; went in the evening to Rustall; visited Mr Griffith; my daughter went with me to the Greene; saw them dance &c; went then to Thomsons (with Biddolph, Tovey & Minshall); had a dish of mushrooms; went home past 8.
9. Tuesday, went to the wells; went to Thomsons with Lady Basset, her sister, Biddolph his wife & Tovey & Minshall, had oysters; then I went & dined with Millington at Southborow; there was Colliton, his daughter & Pollixfen; we parted neare 5; I went to visit Mr Herbert; there was Lord Horton, Abergaveny, Mac Karti & Mr Row (at dice) I stayd awhile; some went away; then came Mr Overbury; I dranck a glasse of wine; came home past 7.
10. Wednesday, went to the wells, retorned about 1; Lady Bellot, her sister & cosen dined with us; also Mr Tovey; I went in the evening to Rusthall; saw them bowle for awhile; then went to Mount Ephraim; saw them dance and bowle; then I went with Bird & Minshall to the Kings; Head; had a pinte of wine came home past 8; supt, Mr Tovey & his 2 frinds with us.
11.Thursday went to the wells, dined at home; in the afternoone; Mr Bower made me a visit; in the evening I & my daughter & Tovey visited Lady Griffith; went then to the Kings; Head; Biddolph & Minshall came to us; we supt there; came home about 9; Mr Farmer came to us, dranck a bottle of wine; left us about 10; then Tovey came; stayd awhile; I went to bed.
13. Satorday, I went to the wells, dined at home; Biddolph, Minshall, Millington, Knight with us we parted past 4; Mr Howard came to visit; Biddolph stayd not; I went at 7 to the Castle; there was Biddolph, Minshall, Knight, Hornby & Captaine Clements; Knight went about 8; the rest stayd till 9.
15. Monday, went to the wells; to Thomsons with Biddolph his wife, Tovey, Minshall to eate oysters; dined at home; my sonne with us; about 4 he & Minshall retorned towards London; Biddolph his wife, Minshall & I went to visit Brewer & his wife &c; then to Rustall; I walked there awhile with Dukes & 2 or 3 more; saw them bowle & dance; my daughter went home; I went to Biddolph & Minshall, Poole, Clements, Knight &c; Poole went first; the rest about 9.
17 Wednesday, went to the wells with Biddolph to eate oysters at Thomson's dined at home (Biddolph & Minshall dined with Horneby) about 6 Lord Horton & Herbert came to visit me; afterwards I went to Ephraim bowling greene; after the dancing went home; after supper I, Biddolph & Minshall went to Farmer; dranck 2 bottles of wine with him.
18 Thursday, went to the wells; then to the Vine (with Biddolph his wife, Tovey & Minshall) to eate oysters; dined at home; in the evening Mr Duke & his lady called to see us; stayd not; after supper Farmer dranck a bottle of wine with us; parted past 10.
19. Friday, went to the wells, to prayers, to the Vine to eate oysters with Biddolph his wife, Tovey, Minshall & Captaine Clement; dined at home; went about 5 to visit Mr Lawrence & Mrs Poole; then to Mr Millington; Biddolph & Minshall were there with me; we had a bottle of wine; retorned past 8.
21. Sonday, went to the wells & to church; dined at home with our owne company, went to church in the afternoone then with daughter to visit Lady Mason when she went to Lady Basset; Biddolph Minshall & I went to the Bell; Milllington came to us; had 2 bottles of wine; retorned home about 8; went to Mrs Farmers roome to take leave of Mrs Fettiplace.
22. Monday, went to the wells; after prayers went with Millington, his wife, daughter, Biddolph his wife, Minshall & Tovey to eate oysters at the Vine; parted pat 12; dined at home with our owne company; in the evening Lady Mason came to see us; stayd not long; after supper we had a bottle of wine with Mr Farmer in his roome.
23. Tuesday, went to the wells, dined at home; after dinner Biddolph & Minshall went a fishing with Hornby; in the evening Bassett, his lady & sister made us a visit; stayd not long; after supper Farmer came to us, had a bottle of wine.
27. Satorday, left Tunbridge; dined at Farnton, Biddolph & my daughter went off to Combe; Morgan met us; brought me to lodge at the Golden Ball, Coleman streete; there was my daughter Whitley &c; stayd not; Baskervile came to see me parted before 10.
30. Tuesday, dined at home; want in the evening to the East Indya house to transferre &c; retorned, went to the Kings Armes; there was Baskervile, Mitton, Done, Wallis, Baroby & Minshall, parted about 10.
31. Wednesday, went to Child Golsmith with a bill; called on Sir Robert Clayton; met Sir G. G. & his sonne Sam in the street; parted; dined with Biddolph, his wife, daughter Whitley & Minshall at Pontack's; went thence to the East Indya house, to Holland; then to the Sunne; there was Biddolph, Minshall, Dashwood & Thomas; then came Sir G. G. he, Minshall & I stayd after the rest; after Sir G. G. went came Dorisla; we had 1 bottle; parted past 9; came home.