Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
2. Thursday, Mainwaring went past 9 to Chester; the coachman past 10 to Lach; Angell & sister dined with us; he retorned at 6, she stayd. Robinson, Croughton (& another) came with money for the Barks?;dined in the buttry; went about 4. Ramsbotome (a Burges) came about taking a lease at Shotwick; went at 6. Mainwaring retorned from Chester about 2. the coachman from Lach at 6.
3. Friday, Mainwaring went to Utkinton at 11. Jordan came about the work at Bramley's; Shore about Tatenhall; Gray to speake with me about wood at Syreham. they dined with us; past 4 I went to Utkinton; there was Crew, Mainwaring, Sherwood, Lancaster, Llee & his wife, another man & Hough; I & Mainwaring came thence past 7. called on Finchet, stayd not.
5. Sonday, I went to church about 9 with daughters, Mainwaring &c. received the Sacrament (Bidoph dined with us; we heard from Peover that Harry Mainwaring was not well interl) Burgesse went to Shotwick.
6. Monday, Palin came about Lord Macclesfield's rent. dined with us. Bostock & Carter about the new Hall, dined in the buttry; about 2 came gardener & Minshall (a clock maker) to make him a freeman; all went before; also Kenrick & Cranck who called to see me. I sent my coach (about 12) to fetch Attorney Minshall & his wife to Peele; they came about 6, Burgesse brought venison & fish from Shotwick; Houseman retorned.
7. Tuesday, Bellot, Governor, Baker & G.Mainwaring dined with us; they bowled & went past 7. Angell went to Harry Mainwaring at Peover but did not call at Peele; the gardner brought word that Harry was better.
8. Wednesday, Mainwaring & Minshall went (about 7) towards Cumbermere. we heard from Peover that Harry was better. Houseman went to Chester, Lach &c. past 12. retorned at 9. Morgan dined with us; went with me to Bromley's at 4. went towards Chester at 5. Mrs Swinton, Crew, Hand, Crosby &c. came about 3. went past 6 in my coach because of the raine; Mainwaring & Minshall retorned past 10. Nixon went to Peover.
9. Thursday, past 3 Bolton came to speake about Tatenhall & Lightfoote about our grasse at Lack; past 4 I, Mainwaring, Minshall, daughters &c. went to Mr Bruen's, retorned at 8 10. Friday, Jordan, Hughes, Bowker were with me about building at Bromley's & Akerleys; Alderman Williamson & Macebearer dined with us; stayd till 6; Mainwaring, Minshall, his wife &c, went to Chester about 2. the women retorned at 8, the men past 11. Houseman was out all night,. Key came in the evening, supt, stayd all night. Angell ? .went to Chester.
13. Monday, J. Hussey brought Hatherton rent, Huson came about 10. before 11 I & Mainwaring went to Chester. lighted at the Penthouse, then to the Postmoote in the Hall; dined at Gerards with 2 Mainwarings. Brereton brought me account of toll corne; 2 Bostocks about the new Hall; Adams to appointe the Comitte on Satorday 6 at night; Gray about the beame in the row; Streete came about 4,alson Bellot & Governor; I went to Jacksons; Tindall came to us; we stayd till the post came; Mainwaring & I parted about 8. came home at 10; Huson & Houseman went to Shotwick & Angell went to Peover.
14. Tuesday Mainwaring went about 7 towards Knotsford & Bour; Griffith, Flint & Brock with goods & bottles to Chester & to bring wine & malt home. Mr Gerard & John Mosse came about 7 about the collection for the poore French protestants; I promised to send them in a day or 215. Wednesday, we began to reape the wheate; Hardware sent his servanr with a letter about my sonns debts, I wrote to him & Huson about it. Charrles Davyes came to talk about Manley stone 16. Thursday, Crosby came after diner about Shotwick; Anne Price went to Chester. Mainwaring retorned at 8.
17. Friday, after diner came Withen's to discourse about carying; Manley stone to Chester; John Mosse came for a collection for French protestants; we gave 14 shillings; past 3, I & daughters & sisters went to Chester; Mainwaring went on horseback; Kinaston came about 7 with a letter from Sir William Williams18. Satorday, Adams came to me; (then Brereton crossed out) Lord Rivers keeper brought a buck. Brereton came to get an an Almesman's Gowne for Porter; (old interl) Jackson & Gerard came in the behalfe of Nixon that came with with them. also Griffith came with Bedward about the same businesse. I went to visit G.Mainwaring & his wife, stayd not; G.Mainwaring dined with me ; afer diner he brought Harison of Holyywell, took a pipe &c. Jackson the scrivener came about Richard Warburton's estate in Derbyshire; Gray came abiut the beame in the Row &c. the Keeper of the House of correction came for my order for money due to him from the Citty; I went to the Penthouse at 5, to the Comitte about the new Hall; there was 2 Mainwarings; Streete, Allen & Hand; we agreed with the masons about the Manley pillars; then went to the ship (& cumberbach interl) all but Hand; parted before 10. cosen Kate Mainwaring & grandaughters came from Peele. after diner (Palin payd some ? ?.to Jones account account.? 19.Sonday, was not at church, Mainwaring & daughter were; after diner G.Mainwaring came & took a pipe, the like after supper, parted at 10.
20. Monday, I went to the Penthouse at 11. then to the Hall where we had the Quarter Sessions; Crownemoote & Portmoote; we sate till about 9; then Sir William Williamson, his sonne, the lawyers, Justices of Peace (& the Sheriff, Treasurer &c interl), Lawyers, Grand Jury, Kenrick, Fowks, Parry, Taylor &c. dined with me; they went about 7. then came Salmon to Mainwaring. stayd awhile; G. Mainwaring with us. then parted !2 houer past 7. Gill brought 2 bucks from Frodesly.
21. Tuesday, went before 11 to Sir William Williams; then to the Penthouse; then to the Hall; dispatched the businesse in the sessions, Crownemoote & Portmoote; ajourned &c. then to an Assembly in the Penthouse; about 4 they all went with me to diner; parted about 6 & 7. 2 Mainwarings & Streete stay awhile longer; the Lichfield man came about the money he was robd of. I & Mainwaring went to Sir William Williams; there was G.Mainwaring, Streete, 2 Sheriffs, Mr Williams, Foulks &c. we parted past 11.
22. Wednesday, there came a gentlewoman (sayd she was cosen to Mr Warburton) to complaine of the exaction of Paine, the carryer; I sent for him, composed the businesse Perereton was with me; then Adams; then Basnet & Massey about Massey's old bond; Mr Johnson of Longhall, yong & widow Heylin about the heriots; Dr Angell came from Bouer; I sent the coachman to Shotwick; Nixon with venison to Bellot & Bunbery; Burrows & cosen Ravenscroft's servant came for a warrant for a buck at Frodesley; about 8 came 2 Mainwarings, Streete, Baker (his friend with him) at last came Jackson, stayd till 12.
23. Thursday, Baker, Faynell, Morall, Norbery, Key &c. dined with me; parted at 4. Touchet & Birket came about Rogers debt; I offered an assignment; on ten(nts) or order to S: Huson to pay him; but he went away in a huffe; I went (at 7) to visit Lady Gerard in the Castle; she came to me in the Hall; there was [fo. 177v] August 23. her husband & Sir Thomas Clifton walking; I stayd not 1/4 of an houer; went then to Angell, supt with daughters &c. Mainwaring came past 9. we went home past 10. Coxon was with me today to discourse about Shotwick Park &c. Wyborne came about an encroachment in the Row.
25. Satorday, about 11 came Colonel Atkins & Streete; stayd not; before 12 I went to the Penthouse; Atkins & severall of his officers were there, also severall townspeople about quartering his soldyers; the Colonel dined with me; also Streete & G.Mainwaring; he parted about 4. Bolland came, stayd awhile; past 5 I went into G.Mainwarings; dranck a glasse with (Lady interl) Bellot &c. took coach before 6 with daughter, went to bed.
27. Monday, Huxley & Smith of Tatenhall came about taking a lease; dined with me, went past 3. Hughes & Bowker came about repayring the mill; Jordan to receive money for his work at Bromley's; Huson came in the morning; my carts went to Shotwick, Houseman to visit Sir Francis Winnington at Mr Bruens; Griffith to Bechin; Gill to Tatenhall; Mainwaring about 8 to Namptwich; retorned at 10.
28. Tuesday, Sir Francis Winnington sent to visit us; Griffith went to Shotwick, Cookson's son came with a buck; I sent the coachman with 1/2 of it to Mr Bruen, (Shales crossed out) Hall, Lewesley & another came from Chester; Bolton from Tatenhall; they dined with me; Shales in the hall; they went about 4. about 5 came Sir Francis Winnington, his son & son in law; parted neare 7. Mainwaring went to Chester.
29. Wednesday, Huson went to Chester at 11. Nixon before him; the Chester Plummer dined with us; went past 1. Nixon retorned past 3. past 4 I went to visit Sir Francis Winnington at Stableford; there was he, Bruen, Egerton, Banks & another together, they presently parted; there was also yong Winnington, old & yong Benen; I left them past 6. came home past 7. Mainwaring retorned about 8.
30 Thursday, Alderman Mainwaring, Edwards, Hand & Treasurers, Deane, Parry, Bolland, Griffith, Morall, Parington, Dod, Johnson, Colston (Streete interl) dined with me; bowled before & after diner, retorned before 6 31. Friday, Bostock & carter came to me about Manley stones; Bowker about Ackerley's house; a man from Eltony about taking Shotwick; they dined in the hall; Donell Barber dined with us; they went past 3.