Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
2. Monday, went to Parliment dined at Pryors with 2 Mainwarings Burrage, Biddolph, Broderick & another; went with Biddolph & G.Mainwaring to Nags Head, there was Wood, Maxwell, Harris; & 2 or 3 more; Mainwaring called on us; we parted about 10.
3. Tuesday, went to Parliment dined at home with 2 Mainwarings Wood, Biddolph Sir John Wynne, Colt, Thomas; parted past 4; about 6, Biddolph Wood, Mainwaring & I went to the fountaine neare the Hay market; there was William Mainwaring, Latham, Boothe & Kelsall; then came Roger; we parted past 9.
Decr: 4. Wednesday, went to Parliment dined at Pryors with Mainwarings Borage, Norris, & Lawton, Rawley came to us as we ended dinner; I went to the Committe; then home; Colt went to his lodgings (by the way) in the coach with me.
6. Friday, went to the Founders in White Crosse streete (with Kent & Houseman) there was Kenrick & 2 or 3 more; went then with Kent to the Glasse House in Savoy; then to Parliment dined at the Sunne with Sir Hugh Owen, G.Mainwaring Borage, Philips, Morgan, Broderick, Vaughan, & another; then to Committe; then with Colt & 2 Mainwarings to St Alban's Taverne; parted past 10, then home.
7. Satorday, Chetwyn came about Trenchards Debenters; a man with a periwig; &c; & went to Parliment dined with Sir John Wynne (with Cherbury, Trenchard, Groynn, Mainwaring, Wildman & Tippin; we parted about 5; I came home..
8. Sonday, I dined at home with 2 Mainwarings & brother Thomas & Tovey; in the evening my sonne came; I went with him to the Rummer neare Lockets; there was 2 Mainwarings brother & Bedisford; thence 2 Mainwarings & I went to the Nags Head; there was Wood, Maxfeild, Gilmore, Harris, Cooper, Coling & 2 or 3 more; we parted past 9.
10. Tuesday, Mr Cholmely called to see us; I went to Parliment dined at home with G.Mainwaring & Tovey; went past 4 (with 2 Mainwarings) to visit the Bishop of Chester; there were 2 more (strangers) with him; then we went to the Castle Fleet streete; there was Lewes, Dashwood, Thomas, Smith, & my sonne; then came an Irish Lord (Ely) we parted about 9; went home.
12. Thursday, went to Parliment; dined at Lockets, with Vane, Yong, Dursdale, Bromley, Worsley, Rushworth; &c; went to another roome where was Mainwaring Lawton, Egerton, Conway & another (stranger) about 7, I left them (with Mainwaring & Egerton) came home where was Thomas, he went about 8.
13. Friday, went to Parliment dined (about 6) in the Bulls head in Wood Streete; there was 2 Mainwarings, Baskervile, Baroby, Edisbury, Gleg; went thence at 8; called at Nags Head; there was Wood, Coling, Maxwell, Rogers (15 in all) we parted past 10.
15. Sonday, I took phisick; brother & William Mainwaring dined with us; in the evening came Wood, Thomas; we supt with Biddolph & Mainwaring they went past 9; then came Dep: Recorder Wynne (& one Parry) dranck a bottle of wine; went about 10.
16. Monday, a man came to see the oare; I gave hime a peice; Povey & another came with periwigs; I went to Parliment dined at Pryors with Mainwaring, Biddolph, Lawton, York & Blake; went to Committe; & home before 9.
19. Thursday, Herrington came about the coach man; saw my leg; I went to Parliment dined at Pryors with Biddolph Mainwaring his 2 brother & my sonne; went to Committe; then (with Mainwaring & my sonne) into London; called at Foche's; went to the Sunne; then to St Johns Head; there was G.Mainwaring Baskervile, Herle & 2 more; parted at 9.
20. Friday, went to Parliment dined (about 3) at Pryors with 2 Mainwarings Biddolph Norris, Tranchard, Foote, Burrage, Sir R: Gwynne & another (I think his name is Lyddall) went to the Committe, & home about 9.
21. Satorday, went to Parliment dined at Pryors with Mainwaring Skippon, Barnadiston, Andrews & Pickering; went to Committe; then to Nags Head; there was Wood., Mainwaring, Maxwell, Gilmore, & Partridge & another; Coling came late; parted about 10; went home.
22. Sonday, dined at home with Mainwaring, his brother, my brother, Thomas & daughters; in the evening I went to the Cellar in Scotland Yard; there was Wood, Mainwaring & Roger; parted at 9; Wood came home with me & fetched home his Lady & daughter, who supt with my daughters.
23. Monday, Beversham came to see me; I went to Excise office to speake with Foche; then to Parliment; we ajourned for a weeke; dined at Pryors with 2 Mainwarings, Biddolph, Borage, Strickland & Stratford; wernt to the Sunne in Milk Streete; there was 2 Mainwarings, Biddolph, Baskervile, Baroby; 2 Glegs came in at last as we were parting; Leeson drew my tooth there; about 8 we parted; went to Nags Head; there was Coling, Gilmore & Wood; parted at 10.
24. Tuesday, Whitworth came about Lord Macclesfeild's debenter & Morgan the coach maker about money Roger owes him; I dined at home with Biddolph, Thomas & daughters; stayd at home all day: 25. Wednesday, dined at home with Biddolph, Mainwaring, his brother, daughters &c; my sonne & his wife came in the evening; I went to Woods, saw the Lady & daughters; went then to Norris lodgings, then to the Globe in Chancery Lane; there was Norris, Richmond, Biddolph & 3 Mainwarings we parted past 7; Biddolph, G.Mainwaring & I came to Nags Head; there was Wood, Coling, Cooper, Harris, & Maxwell; parted past 9.
26. Thursday, dined with Sir Rowland Gwyn; there was Mainwaring, Biddolph, my sonne, Fairefax, Rewley, Woosely, 2 Williams; we sate downe past 3; parted at 6; about 7 Biddolph & I went to the Cellar; there was Roger, Sutton, Duppa ; Mainwaring came to us, we parted past 9.
27. Friday, Jones came to me with his accounts; retorned about 12; I dined at home with Biddolph, Thomas & daughters; I went past 5 to Colonel Sackville's; stayd till past 7 (onely he & I together) then went to see Lady Wood; then to Nags Head; there was Wood, Titus, Harris, Cooper & 2 Mainwarings parted past 9.
30. Monday, I went to Parliment; dined at Pryors with 2 Mainwarings, Biddolph, 2 Foly's; Smith, Dousdale, Yong, Drake & Blake; went thence past 6 to Sir Edward Wood; supt there with him, his Lady, my daughters, Biddolph,2 Mainwarings; Coling came past 9; we parted about 11.
31. Tuesday, went to Parliment dined at home with Yong, Drake, Blake, Elwyn, Rawleigh, 2 Mainwarings, (Biddolph was lame, kept his chamber) most of them parted about 6; Rawleigh & G.Mainwaring past 8.