Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Decr: 1st. Monday, went with G.Mainwaring to Swinsen; then to Westminster together; dined at Bacchus with 2 Mainwarings, Bellot, Samuell, Gold, Burrage, my sonne, Streete, &c. went to the comitte, then home.
2. Tuesday, went to Westminster, our Report was made, carryed against: us by one; dined at home with Bidolph, Mainwaring, Jackson, Chester witnesses, Roger, &c. past 6, I went to the club; there was Every, Maxwell, Harris, Partridge, Rogers & another; I left them past 8, came home.
4. Thursday, William Morgan came to see me, then Whitworth, about Lord Maxwell's debenters; cosen Fairfax came & dined with us; in the evening, I went to the Sunne; there was Bidolph, Jarrat, Jones, my sonne, Lewes, G.Mainwaring, Parry, Lea, Cooke, we parted past 9.
5. Friday, I & Mainwaring visited Lord Warington; I dined at home; about 3 came Coling then Parry, then Gilmore; they went about 4; then Roger came; then Lord Pawlet, Mainwaring & Bellot; they stayd not ½ houer, &c. about 6 I went to visit Wood; then to the 3 Tunnes neare Grays Inne; there was Coling & Gilmore; we came home about 10.
7. Sonday, dined at home, William Mainwaring & Jackson with us; went in the evening to Wood, there was Gilmore, Coling, Maxwell & another; went thence to the Crowne; there was G.Mainwaring, Streete, Comberbach, another (stranger), Whitaker, Mainwaring, Minshall, &c. parted past 9.
10. Wednesday, dined at home, Jack Whitley & his wife with us; Morgan, Jackson, Minshall, &c. went to Wood, about 6; then to Mainwarings Coffe house, then to the Crowne; there was 2 Mainwarings, Bellot, Parry, Morgan, Ben: Gerard; parted at nine; brought Bellot home. Leigh came in the morning to take my answer to C[ouns]ell.
Decr: 11 ..Mosiers; dined at the Angell with Bidolph, G.Mainwaring & Parry; then to the Sunne with them; there was Jones; then came my sonne, Lewes, Dashwood; retorned home before 9: 12. Friday, I went to Kensington with Mainwaring, Bidolph & my sonne; kissed the King's hand in the Bedchamber; dined (with them) at the Blew Posts, Bidolph & I went at night to Wood, then to Swinfen, then home past 7; a man came (in the morning) from Howard about Manley's money.
13. Satorday, went to London with Bidolph; left him with Gleg; went to Mosier, there was Cuttler; Mount came after him; Mosier read over my will, gave directions to Mount; I dined at the Angell with Bidolph, 2 Mainwarings, Whitaker & Borage; Bidolph went betimes; Whitaker's sonne after him; Traverse came to us; then Bellot, Lee & Bradshaw; we removed to the Sunne (all but Traverse) there was my sonne, Morgan, How, & Jackson; Mainwaring & I parted past 8.
14. Sonday, dined at home with Bellot, Minshall, Jackson & Kent; after dinner came William Mainwaring; he & Jackson stayd not long; then came Coling & Gilmore; they, Bellot & Mainwaring went about 6; I went to Wood; there was Dr Ashenhurst; I stayd ½ houer, went home before 8.
15. Monday, dined at home, Bidolph with us; went at night to Wood; then to Lord Maxfeild, saw him, & Lady Gerard; went then to the club; there was Harris, Cooper, Partridge, Maxwell, (Craven interl) & Shard, Mainwaring came in late; we parted past 10.
19. Friday, Pigeon came to me; then Lord Portland's secretary about Roger's money; then came Foche, then Tovey; after dinner came Minshall, did eate some cold meate, &c. stayd not; then came brother Peter & Morgan stayd but a while;,&c. Jackson & Fletcher went out of toune.
21. Sonday, G.Mainwaring & Knevet dined with us; went before 3; then came my sonne, & daughter, went about 5; Mrs Wood came about 3; went at 6; Bellot & his kinsman came about 9 & stayd till neare 10.
29. Monday, dined at home; Mrs Wood, & Minshall with us; past 3, I went with Minshall to a Master's of Chancery, to give in my answer to Shepheards bill then to Humfreys, then to Tovey's; then home; 30. Tuesday, (Fowler came to me about 10: then I interl); I went to Mosier; dined at Pontacks with Mainwaring, Bellot, Lewes, my sonne & Borage; he left us about 4; the rest went to the Sonne; Baskervile & his sonne in law came to us; also Morgan & Hilman & a Cuttler; we parted neare 9; brought Bellot home, stayd with him till 11.