Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
December 1. Thursday, Mosse & his wife came at night about a lease; no other company.
2. Friday, no company.
3. Satorday, Huson went to Chester past 10; also Griffith & the cart with goods, Joseph, Tittle & Nanny Price; I, daughters, sister, &c. went thither about 2; lighted at our house; (Gerard came to me; then interl) G.Mainwaring & Streete & Johnson came to us about 7; stayd awhile.
4. Sonday, I went to next church; dined at home, cosen Whitley & Luke Lloyd with us; they went about 2; about 4 came Alderman Lloyd & Edwards; then Jackson; then Mr Warburton (of Ireland) they went about 6; afterwards came G.Mainwaring (& Johnson interl.), &c. went past 9.
5. Monday, went to the Penthouse & Court; retorned neare 3; severall Aldermen, Sheriffs, Recorder, Booth, Hunt, &c. dined with me; parted at 5; past 6, I went with G.Mainwaring & Streete to John Robinson in Forest Streete; there was Cratchley, Bathow, Massey, Ely & 9 or 10 other neighbors; we parted at 9; I went home.
6. Tuesday, I went past 11 to the Court; retorned past 12; G.Mainwaring, Cratchley & theire wifes dined with us; I had severall people with me, about complaints & businesse; after diner came Dr Fog; stayd not long; also Streete & Johnson; we took coach neare 3, called for letters at the Post house; came home past 5.
7. Wednesday, S. Huson went about 8 to Malpas faire; Alban Grey dined with us; went at 2; Buttler went to Chester; coachman with venison to Utkinton.
8. Thursday, the Buttler stayd out all night; retorned about 10 this morning; Ned went to Chester about 2.
9. Friday, Nixon went to Chester for fish before 8; retorned in the evening; Ned, Tittle & Ann Price retorned from Chester in the morning.
10. Satorday, Captaine Mainwaring & another gentleman came about 2 from Namptwich; did eate cold meate in the buttry, dranck a bottle of wine; went at 3.
11. Sonday, was not at church; Walforne, &c. went in the afternoone.
12. Monday, Wayne the butcher came about sheep & widow Cookson to make her accounts; they dined in the buttry, went in the afternoone.
13. Tuesday, Griffith went to Chester with goods, also Nixon & the Buttler after him; Crew, Vernon & Wheateare dined with us; went about 5.
14. Wednesday, daughters, sister, &c. went past 11 to Utkinton; Field & Jordan were here about theire accounts with S. Huson.
15. Thursday, no company.
16. Friday, Griffith & the cart went to Chester; also Tittle & Anne Price, about 10.
17. Satorday, I, daughters & sister went to Chester past 2; came thither past 5; Donald trimmed me, &c.
18. Sonday, was not at church; G.Mainwaring & his wife dined with us; I & daughters visited Angell; there was one Crow (from Ireland) went thence to visit cosen Ravenscroft; then home; G.Mainwaring supt with us.
19. Monday, I went to the Penthouse, then to the Court Moote past 11; dined at home; some Aldermen, Nathaniel Leigh, Comberbach, &c. with us; the Deane came about 6, stayd till 7; I went then to the Ship; there was G.Mainwaring, Streete, Burrows, Hemthorne, Lloyd, Griffith & Nathaniel Leigh; I left them at 9.
20. Tuesday, Nathaniel Lee, G.Mainwaring, &c. dined with us; after diner I went to the funerall of Alderman Edward's sonne; then Lee & I went to wayte on Lady Salisbury; then to the Feathers; there was the Recorder, Streete, G.Mainwaring, Lloyd, Deane, Kinaston &c. I left them at 9; went home; Nathaniel Lee; G.Mainwaring & Streete stayd with me till 10.
21. Wednesday, I went to the Penthouse at 11; retorned about 1; Deane Fog & his family dined with me; also Angell & his & Nathaniel Lee; they went past 3; G.Mainwaring, the 2 Trearures & Johnson came to me past 5; about 7, I & Lee went to Wilcox house; there was also G.Mainwaring & 2 Trears; we parted past 9; G.Mainwaring & Lee came home with me; parted past 10.
22. Thursday, the buttler & Madamoiselle went to Peele; widow Cookson came about a constable warrant; but not a word about her leaving Cotton Hook; Mr Wright of Stretton's man brought me a letter from his master but no money, (Huson came from Shotwick interl.) went to Jackson's at 7; there was Streete, G.Mainwaring, &c. left them at 9.
23. Friday, went to the Penthouse; then to the Assembly; retorned at 1; G.Mainwaring, Streete, Ince, Edwards, Lloyd, Williamson, Treasurer, &c. dined with me, went about 4.
24. Satorday, I went to the Penthouse at 11; retorned past 1; after diner came Palin & other tenants & Huson; then Mr Wright (our minister) then Alderman Wilcox; stayd till past 5; then came cosen Whitley & Fox, Walton, Blackborne, &c. stayd not long; Cadwalader brought 2 does.
25. Sonday, I went to church (to the Communion) dined at home; cosen Whitley with us; Mainwaring retorned about 12 from London; in the evening we went to visit cosen Ravenscrofts & Booths; supt at home, Mainwaring, G.Mainwaring, Warburton with us; parted at 9.
26. Monday, cosen Morgan, her son & daughter; Cooper & his wife; Cratchley, his wife & cosen; dined with us; parted in the evening; (about 6 Venables came to see me & Mainwaring; stayd awhile crossed out) I went about 7 to Ridges; there was 2 Mainwarings, Streete, Angell, Holland, ?Daintyffe; I left them past 9.
27. Tuesday, we dined at Sheriffe Burrows with G.Mainwaring, Streete, Angell, my sisters, Brooks, his wife, Whiteare, another person (a physician), &c. we left them before 4; in the evening Venables came to see me & Mainwaring; stayd awhile; about 7 I went to little Gerards; there was 2 Mainwarings, Streete & Jackson; we sent for Wilcox; he came & stayd an houer; we went thence about 9 to Jackson's; Warburton came to us; we stayd there till past 10.
28. Wednesday, Lady Salisbury, Calverly, Warburton & wife, Booth, wife & daughter dined with us; went in the evening; I stayd at home all night; no company but Croxon for awhile.
29. Thursday, Huson brought a man (his name .........) to be hyred, &c. I dined at Angells with daughters, 2 Mainwarings, Streete & Cratchley; went home at 5; about 7 went (with daughters) to the Bars; stayd ½ houer; then went to Jackson's; there was 2 Mainwarings, Streete, Warburton, Cratchley, Massey, Sparks, Walton &c. I left them past 9; went home.
30. Friday, I dined at home; Batho & his wife, Anderson & his wife, Edwards & wife, Pemberton & wife, Lloyd, Daintiffe, Parker, Sparks, &c.. dined with me; after diner came Angell & Collis, G.Mainwaring, Warburton &c ; they all went about 4, 5, &c; about 7 I went (with daughters & children) to Alderman Mainwaring's; supt there; there was Mainwaring, Streete, Cratchley, Lee, Warburton, Jackson, Angell, sisters, &c. we pasted past 10.
31. Satorday, the Macebearer was with me 2 or 3 times about businesse; Parry dined with us; G.Mainwaring &c. here at night.