Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
4. Tuesday, Sherwood came to me when we were at diner; had dined before; went past 2. Cadwalader brought a poore deere found famishing 5, Wednesday, Houseman went to the funerall of my tenant Crosse's wife; Huson went past 11 to Chester. a man came from Mostyn with a letter to daughter Mainwaring from Roger. Gerard & his wife came about 2. went past 4.
6. Thursday, Houseman went about 7 to meet Sherwood at Tatenhall; Charles Davyes & Fletcher came about masons work; went past 2. daughter & sister went to visit Mrs Bruen; Crew & Hough came before 3. went past 4.
10, Monday. Huson came past 10. Fletcher about masons work at the new Common Hall; they dined in the buttry; then came Charles Danyes, he & Fletcher went past 2, a man came from Mr Lee to offer himselfe for a husbandman, he was too young; daughter & sister went to Tarvyn to the funerall of Mr Bruen's child & to visit Mrs Gerard; Key came to the evening; stayd al night.
14. Friday, Sherwood & Smethurst came past 10 then Mrs Fryer; she about lease dined, went past 3. G.Mainwaring, his sons, Mr Parry came when we were at diner; went past 4. Mosse & his son came past 3. payd 1/2 in part of the bond [fo. 181v] December 15. Satorday, William Row & Caringtonn came & had the lease sealed; Huson was home at night.
16. Sonday, Mr Gerard came to Peele (past 11) administered Sacrament to me & Roger, daughters, sisters, servants &c, dined, retorned about 7; Roger, daughter &c. went to church after diner; Richard Hughes & his cosen continued here; Burges, Gill, Bowker were with me in the evening; were to goe to theire work agen on Monday.
19. Wednesday, Coker came (another with him) about 11. dined received money, & gave a bill for 25 li. on Tues at London; went about 3. Houseman came (past 12 to Tarperly. Flint about rent to widow Cookson; Roger & Bromley rid out in the afternoone, these went home at 7. Cadwalader brought a dove?.
24. Monday, Row, Carington & his wife came past 10. settled accounts with Houseman, paid him (in part of Carrintons arrears of rent li. 12:17; 6 which he gave to my daughter). Neate came to cure a carthorse; Done brought 10 li. (in payment of his fine) given daughter; he dined with Huson in the buttry. went past 2. Crosse & Widdens came past 5 but did not see them; Profit came from Disferth; brought rabits from Mrs Hughes.
26. Wednesday, Griffith & 2 carts went for coales; Buttler went to Chester about 8. retorned at 5. Bryan Bolland came in the morning, stayd not long. Jordan came dined; Bromleys brother came dined, stayd all night. Huson went home in the evening.
28. Friday, Charlotte, Sidney &c. went to Chester; Sherrard & Smithers came at 11 about lease of Tatenhall; then came Croughton, yong Murray, Edwards, Cothill, a stranger with them; all dined, then came Sparks, dined in the buttry; then 2 men to sing carrols; they did eate there also; all parted before 4.
29. Satorday, Huson went about 9 Bromley retorned from Namptwich, Huson paid Rogers servants theire wages last night & told them they were discharged. I & Roger & daughters left Peele came to Chester past 4. That night G.Mainwaring, Deane, Lawson, Jack Johnson were with me.
31. Monday, Adams, Brereton & (Cratchley were interl) were with me; Lowe & Mrs Brereton came to me about Dr Pennington. Sam: Jones writ to me from the Northgate by his sister about Captaine Becks suite; I sent him to the Captaine. he promised to come to me next day (cosen Whitley &..? interl) I went to the [ Penthouse] past 4. 2 freemen were made & other businesse done about the lottery &c; then to the Ship. there was Streete, G.Mainwaring, Edwrds, Cratchley, 2 Sheriffs, we parted at 9, Houseman went to Tatenhall this morning.