Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Jan: 1st: Wednesday (new yeares day) I took phisick; Tovey came (past 10) to see me; I dined at home with Biddolph, Thomas &c; Lady Wood supt with us.
2. Thursday, went to Parliment, sate till past 7; supt with 2 Mainwarings, Hales & Harris at Nags Head; then went to another roome where was Wood, Titus, Gilmore, Coling, Maxwell, Cooper & Russell, parted past 10.
3. Friday, went to Parliment; dined with G.Mainwaring & Kirby at the Bell; went with G.Mainwaring to his wine coopers in Roode Lane; had some sherry & other wine; then called on Mr Meade; stayd awhile; went then to the Sunne in Milk Streete; there was 2 Mainwarings, Baskervile, Baroby, Herle, Minshall & another Manchester man; parted past 9.
4. Satorday, went to Parliment; dined at Pryors with 2 Mainwarings, Dousdale & Burrage; Bromley came to us before & after dinner; I left them together, went to Committe; called at the Rummer (neare Lockets) at my retorne for Roger, he went home with me; stayd neare an houer &c; I stayd at home all night.
5. Sonday, was not at church; dined at home with Mainwaring, his brother, my brother & Minshall; in the evening my sonne & his wife came to see us; past 6, I went to Woods; went with him to Nags Head; there was also Mainwaring & Cooper; we parted before 9; came home.
6. Monday, I dined at home with brother & daughters; in the evening Beversham came to see me; went in my coach to the end of Suffolk Streete; I went to Lord Macclesfeild; Thomson was with him; did not speake to me; went away; then Atwood came but stayd not; I stayd neare ½ houer; then went to Edisbury's lodging; his cosen, Sir John Wynne & another with him; I went then to Mr Halles of Lincolnes Inne; gave him my papers & 2 guineys; then went to the Nags Head; there was Wood, Coling, Harris, Hales & 2 or 3 more & Mainwaring; parted past 9.
7. Tuesday, went to Parliment; dined at Pryors with Mainwaring, Borage & Blake; came home about 6; Mr Thomas came & supt; parted neare 8.
8. Wednesday, went to Parliment dined at Pryors with 2 Mainwarings, Andrews, Hussey &c; went to the Committe; called on Roger at the Rummer, parted past 9.
9. Thursday, went to Parliment dined at Pryors with 2 Mainwarings, Andrews, Guyse, sollicitor &c; went to Committe, then (with 2 Mainwarings) to the Castle in Fleet Streete; there was Dashwood, Lewes, Thomas & my sonne; afterwards came Edisbury; we parted past 10.
10. Friday, went to Parliment, sate till 9 at night; went with 2 Mainwarings & Smith to Nags Head; supt there; Wood came to us, then we went to another roome where was Maxwell, Rogers, Gilmore, Coling & Partridge; parted about 12.
11. Satorday, went to Parliment; dined at home with my sonne, daughters & Thomas; about 4 went to the Sunne in Westminster (with my sonne), there we met Humfreys at the doore, we went up to Lownds & another with him (I know not his name); I left them past 6; went to Halles at Lincolns Inne; then home (past 8); there was Lady Wood & daughters; they went before 9.
12. Sonday, was not at church; Mainwaring & his brother & mine dined with us; in the evening came Mrs Fenwick also another man about money Roger owes them, Wood, his Lady, daughter, G.Mainwaring & Thomas supt with us; parted about 9.
13. Monday, went to Parliment; dined at Pryors with G;Mainwaring, Foly, 2 Harleys, Blake, Montague & 3 other Members (I know not theire names) went to the Commite & to the Cellar (to Roger) past 7; stayd till neare 9; then went home.
14. Tuesday, went to Parliment dined at home with brother, Roger, Thomas &c; went to Committe; then home with Sir John Guise, Smith; Dutton walked with Mainwaring; Sir Scroope How came to us; then G.Mainwaring wee parted past 11.
15. Wednesday, went to Parliment; dined at home; went to Committe, then to Fenick (at the Mewes) with Mainwaring; found Roger there; G.Mainwaring came to us; parted about 10.
16. Thursday, went to Parliment dined at Pryors with 2 Mainwarings & Stratford; went to Committe (till past 9) then to the Cellar with 2 Mainwarings; parted neare 11.
17. Friday, went to Parliment; dined at Pryors with 2 Mainwarings went to Committe; then to the Globe in Chancery Lane; there was Halles & 2 Mainwarings parted past 10.
18.Satorday, went to Parliment; dined at home with sonne, Thomas, Morgan & daughters; Roger & Mainwaring came after dinner; I went to Committe past 4; retorned home past 7: 19. Sonday, I took phisick; 2 Mainwarings brother Peter, Morgan, Roger, Baroby & his frind (a minister) dined with us; in the evening came Wood, his Lady, daughters & G.Mainwaring supt, parted past 9.
20. Monday, 2 men came to me about copper oare & one Nicolls about money Roger owes his son in law (a corne chandler); went to Parliment, sate till neare 6; went home with Mainwaring supt, stayd within all night.
21. Tuesday, went to Parliment sate till 5; supt with G.Mainwaring at Nags Head; there was also Mainwaring, Wood, Titus, Gilmore, Coling, Rogers, Maxwell, Craven, Harris & 2 more, parted past 9.
22. Wednesday, went to Parliment dined (past 3) at Lockets with 2 Mainwarings Lawton, Conwey, & 2 other Gentlemen (strangers to me) after dinner came Coll: Darcy & another officer; I left them neare 6; came home.
23. Thursday, went to Parliment; dined (or supt) past 5, at the Castle in Holborne with 2 Mainwarings then came Minshall, my sonne, Dashwood, Thomas, Lewes, Monteage &c; parted past 9.
24. Friday, went to Parliment; dined at home with daughters & Thomas; went to Committe's; they did not sit; then went to Goslin's about my tooth, then to Nags Head; there was Wood, Maxwell, Harris, Partridge & another; then came Mainwaring then G.Mainwaring parted past 9; Roger came to the next roome but stayd not.; parted paast 9.
25. Satorday, went to Goslin's; had my tooth filed; then went to Parliment & home (neare 5) to dinner; with Mainwaring stayd at home all night.
26. Sonday, was not at church, dined at home with 2 Mainwarings, Roger & brother William Mainwaring came but did not dine; in the evening I went to Nags Head; there was Wood, Maxwell, 2 Mainwarings parted about 9.
27. Monday, went to Parliment; were Prorogued about 12; dined at home with Colt, Wynne, & 2 Mainwarings; went about 7 to Nags Head; there was Harris, Maxwell, Rogers, Coling, Craven &c; parted past 9.
28. Tuesday, went to Lord Delamer (with G.Mainwaring) then to the Treasurer of Chambers office; spoke with Hall about my warrants; he hath them all together (being 5 & the summe 336:6:6) I went to Lord Shrewsbury's office, spoke with Vernon about the Mayor of Chester's having Pooles Armes; went with G.Mainwaring & Elwyn to London; then to Mosier; then to [fo. 114r] Jan: the Sunne with the spectacle maker; there were 2 Radfords; gave them a bottle of wine; I dined at Pontacks with Mainwaring my sonne & 2 Edisbury's; went (with 2 Mainwarings) to the Post office. there was Wildman & his sonne; then to the Sunne Taverne; there were 2 Edisbury's, my sonne, Dashwood, 2 Mainwarings, Baskervile, Monteage & another (the 2 last went first) Mainwaring & I left them neare 8, went to Nags Head; there was Wood, Titus, Harris, Craven, Maxwell, Partridge &c; parted past 9; found Biddolph at home.
29. Wednesday, Mainwaring went to meete Crew at Dunstable; I dined at home with Biddolph, Roger, & Thomas; went in the evening to Woods, saw Lady & daughters; called on Biddolph in Holborne; went to Bishop of Chester; Kidder was with him; stayd awhile; called on Baroby, went to the printer; there was Biddolph, Baroby, Dashwood, G.Mainwaring Gerard & Wade; parted past 9, came home.
30. Thursday, Jarrat came about money for Rogers watch; I dined at home; Biddolph & I went to Nags Head about 7; there was Wood, Biddolph, G.Mainwaring Maxfeild, Coling.
31. Friday, I dined at Ship in Gratious Streete with Biddolph, 2 Mainwarings, 2 sons, daughters, Morgan, Minshall &c; went about 6 to a Quakers Taverne in Cornehill; there was Dashwood, Lewes, Thomas, Smith, Morgan, Mainwaring my sonne &c; parted past 9.