Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Jan 1st. Thursday, yong Fowler came about the coach; Coming & the 2 other men came about the copper oare; I dined at home; Lady Wood & daughter came in the evening; stayd not.
2. Friday, I dined with Mr Lawton, there was his lady, & 2 sisters, his unkle, Bellot, Mainwaring Minshall, my sonne, Lee, &c. I left them before 6, came home; there was Bidolph (retorned from Luton) Lady Wood & daughter, they supt.
3. Satorday, we dined at Woods (all our family) went about 5 to visit Minshall & Lady; Mainwaring, &c. I went to Mainwarings coffee house; then to Crosse Key club; there was Harris, Maxwell, Partridge, Gilmore, Craven, & 3 or 4 more; & Watson of Coventry; then I & Mainaring calld at Woods went home with daughter &c;Moant was at my house; he & I read over some part of my will; he went past 10.
4. Sonday, dined at home, Roger with us; brother Peter came after dinner; Mount came in the evening; stayd but awhile; Wood, his lady & daughter supt with us; went about 9.
5. Monday, Coming & the 2 other men came about copper, &c. dined at home; William Mainwaring came past 2, stayd not; Bidolph went to Combe; retorned at night; I stayd within all day.
6. Tuesday, Dod came to be payed for a beaver; Allen's sonne with papers about the Skinners businesse; I dined at home, &c. Whitworth came about Lord Maxfeild's money; I went to the club at night; there was Harris, Coling, Maxwell, Craven, severall others.
7. Wednesday, dined at home, Mainwaring, Bidolph, my sonne, Lee, Bradshaw, &c. with us; went in the evening to the Globe; there was Mainwaring, Bidolph, Gleg, Lee; I & my sonne, Morgan & Humfreys were in a roome with Mr Hall, stayd not long; all parted about 10.
8. Thursday, went to Cottons & Fairefaxe's, then home; Tuttle came about money Roger owes him;,&c. Minshall with his bill about Shepheards businesse; he went with me to the end of Chancery Lane; then I called on Deache; went thence to Pontacks; Wood, Mainwaring, Bidolph, Gleg, Lee, Bradshaw, Bellot dined; about 4 all but Wood went to the stilyard; parted past 6; Bidolph & I went to the club; there was Wood, Maxwell, Harris, Craven, Partridge; we parted at 10; brought Wood home; Roger lay at my lodgings.
9. Friday, Bidolph went to Luton; I dined at home, Mainwaring & Morgan with us; I went to Hamden past 2; there was Fortis & a minister with him; I went at night to the club (there was Wood, Maxwell, Craven, Gilmore, Shard, &c.) I cald on Mrs Tovey about 6..
10. Satorday, dined at home, Lee with us & Morgan; stayd within all day.
11. Sonday, was not at church, dined at home, Mainwaring & Kent with us; went past 6 to the club, Mainwaring & Wood with me; there was Maxwell, Cooper, Gilmore, Coling, Shard, Harris, Chase, &c. we parted at 10.
12. Monday, dined at home, Mrs Wood with us; cald at night at Woods; then at the 3 Tunns to take leave of Bellot; there was Bellot, Lee, Booth, Minshall & Bradshaw; I went thence past 6 to the Change; there I met Jones & Gardener; then to the Sunne, there was Mainwaring, my sonne & Morgan; then Mainwaring & I went to Wildman, then home about 10.
13. Tuesday, one Dennis (a merchant ) & another came to me about copper oare; I dined at home; went in the evening to the Sunne (my sonne with me) there was Jones; the master of the house came to us; we parted about 9.
14. Wednesday, I went to Keck, then home; Lord Pawlet, Trenchard, Rawley, Breakland , Barline dined with us; also Mainwaring & my 2 sons; they all went before 6; then Mainwaring & I went to the club; there was Wood, Gilmore, &c. (about 10 in all) we retorned about 10.
Jan: 15. Thursday, Mrs Tovey dined with my daughters; I & Mainwaring dined with Duke Bolton about 4 o'clock; stayd till past 7; there was his Grace, Lord Pawlet, Trenchard, Rauley, Sir John :Sidenham, Roger, &c. severall came in whilest we were at table; we went home before 8; there was Lady Wood & her daughters; supt, parted about 10.
16. Friday, cosen Francks came with gloves & Tuttle about Roger's money; the King went towards Holland past 11; I dined at home, Mrs Wood with us; I went past 5 to the 3 Tunns; there was Donnos, Stisted & Anderton about the copper oare; we supt, parted about 9; I went to another roome; there was 2 Mainwarings, 2 Glegs, Delves, Lee & Bradshaw; we parted at 10.
17. Satorday, I dined at home, 2 sons & Morgan with us; I & my sonne went about 5 to Mr Keck; then I went to Mosier, then to Foche (at Excise office) then to the Sunne, supt with Mr Middleton, wife, sister, Mr Lewes, Morgan & sonne behind the Bar; Jones was also with me awhile; there was Comen & 2 others about copper, in another roome; I went thence with Morgan past 9; called at Crosse Keys; there was Mainwaring,Coling, Harris, Gilmore, Cooper, Maxwell, &c. parted neare 11.
18. Sonday, copper man came in the morning; I dined at home, Lee, Minshall, Roger, brother Morgan with us; after noone Kent came about Rogers bills & another man; also Mount with his bill; then came Cotton & lady; then Lewes, sonne, daughter, &c. I went at 6 to take leave of Wood, stayd not; supt at home with Mainwaring, Lewes, sonne, daughter, Barbone, &c. Coling came after supper, stayd till past 10.
19. Monday, Lee, William Mainwaring, severall others came to take leave; also 2 Foulers, Gerard, & Tovey; I gave those 4 bills on Jones for money I owed them; I left London about 10 of ye Clock; cald at St Albans (at the Bull) but stayd not; met Sir John Napper & his sonne in the way neare Luton; parted presently; lay at the Crowne at Dunstable; met Bidolph there.
20. Tuesday, left Dunstable past 7; called at Newport,?(dined interl), met Lawton & Sir John Conwey there; parted about one; lay at the Crowne in Northampton, Dr Danvers came to us; stayd awhile; Crew sent his man to see us, &c. Evans, Bishop of St Asaph's secretary, supt with us.
21. Wednesday, cald at Creeke, dined, met Lord Maxfeild, Titus, Thomson, Mrs Littleton, her daughter, &c. there; parted about one; lay at the Star, Coventry; met Gill & the posthorses there; Mr Hopkin's lawyer came to see us after supper, stayd ½ houer.
22. Thursday, discharged the London coachmen; went neare 8; parted with Bidolph on Mereden heath; dined at Bacons Inne; called at the Harpe; lay at the Crosses.
23. Friday, dined at Red Lyon, Newport; cosen Collyer came to see us; borrowed 10s of me, we lay at Red Lyon Whitchurch.
24. Satorday, called at the Ash, did not light, Mrs Cockayne brought meate & drink to the coaches; soe did the vicar & Grantham at Tarvyn; came to Peele (praised be God) past 5.
25. Sonday, was not at church; Grantham & Traverse dined with us;,&c. Huson came to us.
26. Monday, G.Mainwaring Parry, Mercer, Burrows, Bradshaw, Farington, Johnson, a ship master, Griffith, &c. dined with us; after dinner came Hardwar (& his wife), the Deane, Travers & Croxon; they all went about 5; Mainwaring went that day to Dedington.
27. Tuesday, I sent Tomkinson to the Comissioners: for the assessment at Tarporly; Sir William Aston sent to see us; Dr Angell came past 11; went in the evening; Mainwaring retorned late.
28. Wednesday, Mainwaring my daughters & I went to Chester; dined at Angells, the barber trimmed me there; Streete, Edwards, &c. came to see us; Mainwaring & I went to the Bishop; the Governor came to us; then went to Jacksons; there was the Governor, Mainwaring, G.Mainwaring, Johnson, Mercer, Streete, Farington, &c. I went home with daughters about 5 [fo. 128r] Jan: 29. Thursday, Cadwallader brought venison from Frodesly; dined at home; Mainwaring went a coursing with Bruen; no company all day.
30. Friday, we dined at home; no company but Delves about his accounts, &c. the waggon & mayds came from London.
31. Satorday, Huson, Tomkinson & Delves went to Chester; Hardwar & Mort dined with us; about 2 Hardwar, I & Mainwaring went to Tarvyn (but too late) to the funerall of Edwards; we went to Granthams; there was he, the Vicar, 2 old Mr Bruens, Vicar of Barrow, &c. we went home past 4; found Bromhall of Namptwich there; he stayd all night.