Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
July 1st Friday, Page dressed me; Biddolph came from Comb;dined with my sonne, Morgan D.Minshall & cosen Philips; after dinner Wood call but stayd not; Baron Powells man came about his in 1 yr debenter; William Minshall about Rogers businesse; Mr Skottons to see me &. daughter Whitley supt with us; my sonne & Morgan came late; stayd not.
3. Sonday, Page dressed me, 2 Minshalls dined with us; in the afternoone came Jones; about 5 came Morgan; my daughter & I went to Hogsden; there was Mrs Saladine, her Aunt & their daughters; I supt there with daughter Biddolph, Mr Martyn & his wife, Mason, my sons, daughter & Wrigly; retorned past 8; 2 Minshalls & Morgan were with Biddolph; all parted.
4. Monday Page dressed me about 9; after dinner D.Minshall came; then Mitton; had a bottle of wine; he went before 5; Woods man John called to see us; my sonne & Morgan were also there (awhile) Mrs Tovey came to Biddolhp; then Mrs Martyn; her husband came for her past 8; she & Tovey supt; D.Minshall came & took a pipe; my sonne called past 9; stayd not.
5. Tuesday, Page dressed me about 9; Sir Robert Cotton came to see me; stayd an houer; D.Minshall came; stayd but awhile; a yong cook came to be hyred; Morgan, my sonne & brother Peter came & dined with us; also D.Minshall; about 4 came the Bishop of Chester, his wife & daughter to see us.
July 5th. Sir Edward Woods man came to see us from his master to invite us to see the Pope's Nontio's Reception at Somerset house in the evening; my son's wife supt with us; he & Morgan & D.Minshall retorned about 9; went home; William Minshall called about 7; stayd not.
6. Wednesday, Page dressed me about 9; Sir Thomas Price's man came about rent for the Cellar; my sonne & D.Minshall dined with us; Morgan & Mrs Tovey came after dinner to the child; Bird came about 4, stayd till 5; in the morning Mrs Ogleby & her daughter came to see Biddolph; in the evening my sonne & Morgan went to the Temple &c. Morgan & Minshall came againe at night; stayd not, &c. Littleton & Sym; Biddolph called in the evening; went presently.
7. Thursday, Page dressed me; Sir G. G. came to see me then Bird; then Minshall & Morgan dined with us; my sonne came after dinner; about 5 came Scotto; stayd till 6; Mrs Tovey came then Lady Wood & her daughter Clare; supt &c. my sonne, Morgan & Minshall called but stayd not.
8. Friday, Page dressed me; Sir G. G. came past 11; stayd past 12; Mainwaing's Frenchman called; stayd not; Aldermambury barber trimmd me; Points called about a quilt; D.Minshall came &c. Sir G. G. came past 11; went past 12; Morgan called but stayd not; Minshall dined with us; past 4 came Sym; Biddolph Littleton & Vanham; then Lord Brandon, Sir G. G. & his sonne; then Captaine Ashton; then Sir Edward Wood; Brandon, Sir G & his sonne supt; my sonne, Morgan & Minshall was also there.
9. Satorday, Page dressed me; brother Peter, Morgan & Minshall dined with us; Mr Maxwell came as we were at dinner; would not dine but stayd till neare 6; Tovey came in the morning (about 12) to see Biddolph; Morgan & Minshall called at night.
10. Sonday, Page dressed me about 8; we had no company, onely Mr Hill at dinner till Jones came past 4; my daughter went to Aldermanbery church in the afternoone; she retorned about 5; she, her husband & I went to take the ayre towards Chester; we called on Lady Wood past 7; supt there with her & her daughter Clare; came home about 9.
11. Monday, Page dressed me past 8; Hilman came with patternes; Bird called to see me; then Minshall, Biddolph & my daughter went to Comb past 11; Minshall dined with me; Mount came to me; I went (about 5) to the African house; then called upon Keck (at the gate) then to Baskerviles; there were 3 strange gentlewomen & Minshall; then I went to Myttons, saw him & his wife (Minshall & Baskevile with me) then Minshall came home with me; Biddolph & his wife retorned; my sonne, Morgan & Minshall came late; stayd not.
12 Tuesday, Page dressed me about 9; Kent came about the copper oare from Disart; Tovey called to see Biddolph; Fowler came about harnesse; he & Minshall dined with us; a cook came; I hyred him; then came 2 Mrs Baskerviles then my sonne, Morgan & Lloyd; then Mr; Baversham, my sonne, Morgan & Minshall came at night stayd not.
13. Wednesday, Page dressed me before 9; a man brought a letter from Ben; Coling about the Sergeant of Ludlows debenter; after dinner Biddolph, my daughter & I went to Cottons, to Woods & Bishop of Chester but all were abroad; retorned neare 8.
14 Thursday, Page dressed me; Brady came about Rogers debt; then Sir Robert Cotton; then brother Peter, he dined with us; after dinner came Mrs Fenwick about Rogers money; then my sonne & his wife; then Mr Cartwright; Biddolph went to Combe past 4; my sonne, his wife & Morgan went home past 9.
15 Friday, Page dressed me at 9; past 10 Lord Danby's gentleman came to see me & my sonne seale a bond for Lord Danby's rents; my sonne & his wife came to us; they dined with us; also 2 Minshalls, Maxwell & Morgan; Baroby came after dinner; about 4 we parted, I went to the East Indys house; there was Mr Sterne, Holland & some other clarks; I retorned home before 6; in the morning (past 11) Wood, his Lady & Mrs Clare called to see us; stayd but awhile &c. my sonne came at night, his wife & D;Minshall.
16. Satorday, Page dressed me; Baroby',s man brought a bill, my daughter Whitley came to us; daughter Biddolph fell ill as she was going to Combe; D.Minshall came to us & dined with us; Mrs Tovey [fo. 78r] 16.came to my daughter Biddolph dined with us soe did D.Minshall, daughter, William & Morgan; Mount came to me past 5 with writings; my sonne called in the evening, stayd not; his wife & Morgan went soone after him; D.Minshall called; stayd awhile with Biddolph 17. Sonday, Page dressed me about 9; Biddolph his wife & I dined; about 4 came Jones also my daughter, William, Robert Gleg & Morgan came to the doore; Biddolph & I went to the Bishop of Chester about 5; his sonne & 2 more were with him; we stayd about 1 2 houer; retorned at 6; Sir E; Wood & Mr Stephens came to us; had a bottle together; Lady Wood & her daughter Clare came to see my daughter; went away with Sir Edward at 7; Mrs Baskervile & her daughter came to daughter Biddolph & Mrs Tovey, she sup't with us.
18. Monday, Page dressed me at 9; the Taylors man came to try my clothes; Mount called past 10; also Mr Bird; stayd but awhile; a french man came to offer his service; Mrs Tovey came to my daughter; my sonne came about 11; went to Childs & to the Temple; Minshall & Biddolph dined with us & Morgan Lloyd came in the afternoone; stayd awhile with Morgan then came Baskervile to see me then Lady Wood, her husband called for her about 7; D.Minshall supt with us & Tovey.
19. Tuesday, Page dressed me about 9; the Taylors man came to mend my clothes; Mount came about the writings; D.Minshall came & witnessed them; dined with us &c. in the evening Biddolph. Minshall & I went to the still yard; Dresser waited on us; we had a bottle of wine & took one home with us; about 4 Jones of the Cellar came to see me; stayd 1 2 houer.
20. Wednesday, Page came not; Tovey came to see Biddolph then his mother, then Mrs Wood & ? Miles; then William Minshall, brother Peter & at dinner came Lady Wood & her daughter Clare; after dinner they all went & left me alone; past 5 Morgan then my sonne came to me but stayd not long; came againe about 9, stayd not.
21. Thursday, Page dressed me at 9; Fowler came past 10 about a coach to Tunbridge; Captaine Journeau past 11, had 5 li. on Rogers account; a trunkmaker came with truncks, Pointe his man with a quilt; Morgan came after dinner; also D.Minshall &c. about 5 came Sir Edward Wood & his Lady & daughters; also my sonne & his wife; stayd not long; at night came Bedisford, 2 Minshalls, Morgan sonne, his wife, &c; supt.
22 Friday, Biddolph, D.Minshall & Houseman went to Tunbridge; Nortons man came for money for cloth; past 10 Morgan came; he dined with us; soe did my sonne; past 9 Gerard of the George came for money for my horses; about 12 Fowler came about Biddolph's coach; past 4 Mrs Booth''s daughter came to see my daughter also Mrs Humfreys, Mrs Wood, my son's wife &c. Morgan brought our goods to the ?Castle & ? fan com 23. Satorday, Page dressed me at 6;; Morgan came to us; also Fowler & Tovy; before 8 we took coach for Tunbridge; my daughter Biddolph & Mrs Tovey with me; we dranck & did eate bread & butter at Bromley; dined at the Bull in the Bush; there one of the Colts spoke to us; we came about 8 to the Wells; lodged at Mr Skinners (Sir Michael & Minshall with us); Sir Bucknall & severall others lodge in the same house.
25 Monday, went to the wells in the morning; dranck the waters; met Sir Jos Williamson, Mr Griffin, Sir Walter Yong , Dukes & many aquaintance there; dined at home went to the walks past 5; met Biddolph & Minshall at a Surgeons shop; had a melon & a bottle of wine, the man, his wife & Skinner with us; retorned past 6; met with one Whitley, a master of a ship, who lodged at Skinners; made aquaintance with him for namesake.
26 Tuesday, went to the wells & to prayers; met many acqaintance; walked there till past 12; dined at home; visited Mrs Chomeleys; went in the evening to the walke, then to the Castle; Bidolph & Minshall had one bottle.
27 Wednesday, Biddolph went to London I went to the wells with Minshall; stayd till past 12, tasted Wrons wine at his doore; dined at home; after dinner Sir Walter Yong made me a visit then I went to Rusthall Greene; then to Mount Ephraim; walked awhile with Sir Charles Meredith; left them dancing.
29. Friday, went to the wells with Minshall, walked till neare one, dined at home; went in the evening to Rusthall; walked awhile with Mr Dukes & his Lady; D. Minshall went with me; about 6 Biddolph retorned from London; William Minshall with him; we went (with my daughter & Tovey) to the King's Head to eate oysters; retorned past 7.
30. Satorday, went to the wells; dined at home; Biddolph & 2 Minshalls with us; went in the evening to Rusthall; thence with Biddolph, 2 Minshalls & Brewer to the Castle; Dr Charleton came in to us; stayd but awhile; we all parted about 9.