Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
July 1. Wednesday, Mainwaring went early to Crew to the burying of MrsTurner; Houseman went to the tenants at Ashton but could get no money 2. Thursday, Houseman went to Bechin; past 10 a company of women (27 in all & a boy) came to Peele from Chester complaining of the coyne that they were ready to spurne; requiring me to change it &c. but at last I pacifyed them giving each of them 2 pecks of barley; Mainwaring came back from Crew about 11. Morgan came from Chester, stayd all night.
3. Friday, a woman from Chester came to get corne; I sent her to make hay; then gave her some, also a man that came from Chester; past 5 Chard came to see us from Chester, Jackson, his wife & Biggens came after diner; did eate cold meate in the buttry; in the evening Alderman Murray, his brother & Pemberton called at Peele in theire retorne from Vale Royall; all went before 8.
4. Satorday, more women from Chester came for corne; also a Welshman; Houseman sent them to make hay; Morgan went after diner (& Houseman with him) to Chester; Houseman came back about 10.
5. Sonday, daughter &c. went to church; no company &c. Moses was with me in the evening.
6. Monday, 20 people came from Chester to change theire money or for corne; they had 2 pecks each of them; Sir William Aston & his Lady dined with us; also Dick Minshall; he stayed all night; Nixon & 9 of the mayds went to Budworth Wakes (Houseman after them, came againe past 9 interl); Roger writ to me from Chester; that 2 of our Men of War & some of our Yachts were taken on the Welsh coasts & that the enemy had landed in Anglesey.
8. Wednesday, Johnson, 2 Sheriffs, Adams & an officer belonging to the mint dined with us; went to bowles after diner; Johnson & Adams retorned neare 6; the rest past 7.
9. Thursday, Morgan went to Chester, Mr Bruen came to see us about 5, went before 7. Houseman & Raph went to Ashton at 7 to receive money from the tenants but got none that I would take; Mrs Swift (& a Yong man with her) came at 2 about the suite between her & Streete. they went about 4.
10 Friday, I sent Nixon with 2 loads of hay to Chester & Houseman to Bechin; also Morgan & granson came in the morning; Morgan stayd all night; about 2 I & daughter went to the funerall of Bromley's wife. retorned about 5. Houseman about 9.
11. Satorday, Mainwaring, Roger & Morgan went to Chester about 9. also Brock with the cart with goods; about 4 we went after them; came there past 6. Alderman Edwards. Comberbach & James Mainwaring came to see me in the evening.
12. Sonday, daughter Whitley, Grandson, Roger, Morgan &c. dined with us; Nixon went to Peele after diner. no other company that night.
July 13. Monday, Yong was with me about the mint. Robinson came to thank me for recommending him for an imployment in it; I went to the Penthouse at 12 then to the Court in the Hall; retorned at 2. Recorder, Streete, Edwards, Lloyd, 2 Sheriffs, 2 Coroners, Comberbach, Adams, the Captaine of the Invalids dined with me, parted past 5. At 6 I went to the comitte at the Penthouse; retorned past 8; Hatchet & Allison came to me about widow Riley; Mainwaring went this morning (about 7) to Dedington. Houseman & Huson to Shotwick; came back at night.
14. Tuesday, I hyred Philip, promised him 5 li. a yeare wages. I sent the coachman to Peele to help in the hay; Houseman & Huson to Shotwick; Sheriffe Deane was with me about distributing the brasse money that came from London; Dr Angell, my sister, sister Lloyd; Booth, his wife, her sister & Key & Roger dined with us (Bingley & his daughter came to see us interl) I went at 6 to Roodee, then to Angell, then home.
15. Wednesday, the Taylors were with me with a complainte against one of theire company; they were to appeare at the Penthouse on Satorday; Wrench & his sonne Taylor came to me about buying the Officers place that is vacant; I asked 20 li.; they are to be with me tomorrow; Huson & Houseman came from Bechin, last night lay at Biggins. Adams was with me & Cratchley about meeting at the Penthouse this night. Evan Jones, Morgan & Granson dined with us; Payne to speake with daughter. after diner 4 Pipemakers came to complayne of Wright & to desire to be incorporated with the Bricklayers; I went to the Penthouse at 6. thence to the Ship with Deane, Bolland & Murray & home at 10.
16. Thursday, Wrench & Taylor came about the officers; I apointed them to come tomorow at 10; I sent Huson to speake with Roger about the contents of the letter he sent me yesterday, Johnson, Deane, Bolland, Comberbach, White & Houseman were with me about the windows & other timber worke in the new Hall; Johnson went about 1, the rest dined with me; also sister Angell & Lloyd, White dined with [me]. Houseman, Hall & Buckley came at 6 about the money they are to pay me; I went to Roodee at night; after supper James Mainwaring & Maudit of Leverpoole came to see me, stayd an houer.
17. Friday, past 11 I went to the Quarter Sessions in the Hall; retorned neare 3; Streete, Edwards, Lloyd, Sheriffs, Coroners, Cratchley, Comberbach, Adams dined with; I went in the evening to Roodee; soe home &c.
18. Satorday, John Mainwaring was with me; I desired him speake to Johnson about my kitchen fee; to pay himselfe & send me the rest in market money; I went to the Penthouse before 12. retorned at 2. Streete, Cumberbach, Adams, sister Angell, cosen Whitley, his son, my Granson &c. dined with me; Rolles came after dinner to complaine of Foster; Bradborne to enquire after money due from Davyes to a widow. Palin to discourse about a lease; Richard Hughes to speake wit Huson about Mold tithes &c. I went to the comitte at Penthouse past 6. retorned about 8. Mainwaring retorned from Quarter Sessions & Peover. In the evening my cart brought in hay from Peele & wheate, rye &c. back & Huson went home.
19. Sonday, was not at church; daughter Whitley, her son & daughter, Kate Whitley, Morgan &c. dined with us. I went to the Roodee in the evening &c. Houseman went to Tarvyn & out all night.
20. Monday, Frith & Comberbach were with me about the coyne; Bunbery & Maders about Egertons Statute; I went to the Quarter Sessions before 12. retorned about 2. Murray, Johnson, Borows, 2 Sheriffs, Comberbach, Parry, Roger & Granson dined with us; cosen Thomas Ravenscroft & Randle came to see us; stayd an houer; I went to Roodee at 6. then to the Hall; then to the Ship; there was Mainwaring, Johnson, 2 Sheriffs, Wright & Kinaston; we parted before 10. I saw Houseman about 10. he layd at Biggins.
21. Tuesday, Houseman went to see his mother; Mainwaring had a buck sent him from Rock= Savage, my cart brought hay from Peele; Lieutenant Jones came to me. stayd not; Parry dined with me; promised to manage my concened in Flintshire; Bunbery & Maders came about Frodesley Statutes; Penant called but stayd not; Crosse came about the almeswomen; Croughton about the vacant officers place Adams about the order about the corne that Belman's wife & sonne about her house. Mainwaring dined with the Sheriffe.
July 21. Crosse, Achet & Leftwich came about a poore widow & paying Leftwich's wages which I gave Mr Buckley order to pay him.
22. Wednesday, Croughton payed my daughter 5 li. for Taylor & gave me bonds for 15 li. more on his account; I went to the Penthouse at 12. swore Taylor one of the offices of the Mace; retorned home past 1. Mr Lloyd. Mainwaring, Roger, Lloyd, Edwards, Johnson, Sheriffs dined with us; went about 4. in the evening (about 6) we took coach for Peele; stayd awhile in Forest Streete; came to Peele past 8.
23. Thursday, no company or businesse; I got in all my hay ( but the wood which was not cut downe).
24. Friday, I sent Thomas early to Chester for letters & to see Roger; Tindall, his cosen & Jackson dined with us; went about 7.
25. Satorday, Brock went to Chester past 9, also the cart with hay & to bring malt &c. back Broster came hither from Mold.
26. Sonday I was not at church; Moses was with mw in the evening about Bechin wood.
27. Monday, Jordan was with me & Hughes; I agreed to him to repaire all the slating of the Hall & out houses & to keep it in repayre (for 5 years; he sayd but 3) for 5 li. & to finde all materials; onely having the slates & lime that was now in the work house; & I to carry his sand; but I am to be at no other charge; Broster went in the morning to Dissart; Granson came, dined, went back after diner; retorned at night; Huson came in the evening. Ned Lightfoote came about the money he owes me. desire to take Adam Kemps feild &, if I leased Ashton, that I would treate with John Holland &c. Bowker was with me.
28. Tuesday, a man came to Huson about leasing 'Akerly's' house; they went to see it; Finchet came to me. I discoursed him about Averages? & Richard Holland about the money he owes me; Alderman Johnson, 2 Sheriffs, Robinson, Pemberton, Davyes, White dined with us; bowled after diner, went past 6. Morgan came about 5. Roger about 9 (Key was here, stayd all night interl). I went to see Bromley in the evening, met Mainwaring at Kent's did not goe in.
29. Wednesday, Mainwaring went about 6 towards Namptwich; Granson to Chester about 10; Kenyon (the carpenter) came at 11 to discourse about building at Shotwick; about 7 came Eaton, Joynson & Row to discourse with me & Huson about averages at Molesworth; Broster retorned from Dissert; Mainwaring stayd at Namptwich that night.
30. Thursday, Morgan & Roger went to Chester past 9. daughter, I & Granson went at 11. lighted & dined at sister Whitley's; found Mainwaring there; Horton came to us, also cosen Whitley; after diner came 2 Sheriffs, Pemberton, Lloyd &c. Adams & Holmach with the prisoner (for counterfeite money) he desired to be bailed; I refused, no Justice of the Peace being with me; besides, I thought him not baylable. I referd him to the Justices that comitted him; another (one Lloyd, a butcher of Newcastle) was examined upon oath about the prisoner & was bound over to give evidence at the next Assises. I went past 4 to widow Bennets; there were 2 Sheriffs, cosen Whitley, Horton, Lloyd, Adams, Comberbach; Brock brought one D oe to me to be my brewer. I took coach (with daughter) about 6 & came to Peele about 8. Granson with us. Mainwaring came past 9.
31. Friday, Grantham & Moulton came to treate about a lease at Shotwick; they dined with us, went past 2. Kenion (the carpenter) came about building for me at Shotwick; Symson the clarke for the Parsons due Lady Winnington & Mrs Bruen to visit my daughter &c; a man came from.Raphs father to be hyred to look to the cattle, swine &c. I orderd him to meete me at Peover next week..