Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
2. Satorday, Huson went to Chester about 7; Minshall & I went after him about 10. we dined at Wrights; Holland trimmed me; severall tenants came about theire rents &c; a man came from Mr John Grosvenor to desire my votes to make him Member of Parlement for Flintshire; I told him I thought it not convenient to engage in any such matter till his Majesty had issued out his Proclamacon to Summon a Parlement; till then I should say nothing &c; I went to Dr Angells, saw my sisters; came to Jacksons past 4; there was Streete, Taylor, Minshall, Richard Wright, Harleston, Bret, Owen Hughes &c; Alban Gray & Darrow came about businesse & others; I left them before 7, came home.
3. Sonday, went to church with my daughters; received the Sacrament; dined at home; Jackson & Gray dined with us; after dinner they brought 3 men that had stolen my fish; I forgave them & writ to Alderman Wilcocks to remit & discharge them; they all went past 3; no company afterwards.
5. Tuesday, I sent Houseman to Sir Thomas Mainwaring to Dodington; Mr Mainwaring retorned with him in the evening; Traverse dined & supt with us; stayd till past 10; I sent Huson to Shotwick about wood &c; Nixon went with him to Chester with money for Mrs Done on Jones bill; Grantham came to see me in the evening, stayd not above 1/2 houer.
6. Wednesday, G. Cookson came about his rent; one Fox of Chester & a man from Rutland about a small tenement there; Venables of Tarvyn to know when I & Mainwaring would meete some neighbors at his house to drinck some ale; he dined with the servants; in the evening (about 8) came Minshall & Jackson.
7. Thursday, Mainwaring Minshall & Jackson went to Chester; Thomas Jones brought his sonne to be an under gardner; they went agen past 11; Mainwaring & Minshall retorned late at night after I was gone to my chamber; but Mainwaring came to me.
June 8. Friday, my carts began to carry the coales; Hochnell, Minshall & Mainwaring dined with us; past 3 we went to Venables house at Tarvyn; there came to us, Grantham, Bunnell, Philips, Lorison, 3 Bruens, James the Quaker &c; we left them about 7; came home (Minshall with us) supt &c; Robert Hughes came from Dysart, stayd all night; about 10 came Cartwright (Sir Thomas Bellots man) I went to my chamber before 11.
12. Tuesday, one Acker (his brother is Grantham) came to give me bond, for 60 li. & to bring a bill from Cockaine for my sonne; Mainwaring & Minshall went towards Stableford a duck hunting (I took phisick, stayd at home all day); they came late home.
13. Wednesday, after dinner Mainwaring, my daughter & 3 children went towards Peover; about 5 Minshall went to Chester; at the same tyme Crachley and his sister came about money Roger owes; they went about 7; Charlotte & I supt in the Compas; whilest at supper came Mr Leek (Mr Brent's agent) about copper oare; he supt, stayd all night; I left him in his chamber, past 10.
17. Sonday, I went to church with my daughters (in the afternoone) the Deane preached; Mainwaring dined with him at the Vicar's; retorned with us in the coach; about 6, Johnson of the Cooter and Brereton the coffeman came to speake with me about letting of Shotwick; they stayd till past 7.
18. Monday, after noone, about 4, came the coale carters; I made them drinck in the hall; at the same tyme came Holland & Cawley from Kelsall, about the way betwixt Ashton & Kelsall; they stayd till 6; 2 Mrs Hardwares came & went whilest they were here; then came Davenport & one Warmingham from Chester; dranck a glasse of wine, I left them; Traverse came back with Mainwaring from Trafford; after supper came Minshall; after him Bedisford; I left them about 11.
19. Tuesday, Mainwaring & Minshall & Bedisford went a duck hunting; Houseman to Chester to look after my goods that came by sea; Huson went to Tatenhall; Harpur & Ned with the coach horses to Stone; Mrs Done came at dinner; my 2 sisters in the afternoone; the Deane came about 6, supt; Mainwaring, Minshall & Bedisford after supper; all stayd all night.
20. Wednesday, Huson went to Shotwick; Hunt, 2 Hardwares, the Deane, 2 Kelsalls, Mrs Kelsall, Bedisford, Minshall, Mrs Hardware. Done, sisters &c. dined with us; Mainwaring & Bedisford went to Derington, past 3; Hunt & Hardwares went past 4; the Deane & Kelsall stayd till 7; Tomkinson came about 6; he & Minshall stayd all night.
22. Friday, Minshall, Thomkinson, Mrs Done & sisters dined; in the evening came Gerard, Grantham & Bonnell; had a bottle of wine in the hall; as they went (about 6) came Dr Angell, then Biddolph, daughter, Mrs Wood &c. we supt, I left them past 10; then came Mainwaring & Bramhall.
25. Monday, Tomkinson went home; Huson Griffith, Nixon &c. to Chester; Mainwaring, Biddolph Lee dined with us; also Wood, Done, sisters &c; about 4 there came one Smith to fetch his sister (the laundry mayde) away; but agreed that she should stay a moneth longer; I gave him a glasse of wine, he went away; then came Angell, then Traverse his cosen, to speake with him.
26. Tuesday, Mainwaring went to Peover; Huson to Chester, Houseman to Aston & Frodsham; Angell, Lee & Biddolph dined; Angell went to Chester; Hoole & his wife came to see theire daughter, dined in the buttry, went to Chester &c; Biddolph & Lee went to meete Crew at Kelsall; I went after them, found them at the Deanes; stayd till past 8; came home past 9; a man came to the Deane to me for money Roger owed.
27. Wednesday, we went all to Chester (Biddolph Mainwaring daughters, sisters, Wood, Done &c.) the women dined at Angells; the men at Minshalls with 2 Bruens, 2 Lees, Angell, Baskervile, Baroby, Mitton, Streete, G.Mainwaring, 2 or 3 more, strangers to me &c; about 5 Streete & I went to Jacksons; many of the rest came to us; also Balsh, Johnson &c; I & Biddolph left them neare 8; went home with the women; Lee of Booth came to us as we were going away.
28. Thursday, Mainwaring went abroad about 11; Biddolph & Lee of Darnehall dined with us; they went to Utkinton about 4; about 10 came Minshall & Farrington; I left them past 11; Mainwaring & Biddolph retorned from Utkinton neare 12; I saw them not that night.
29. Friday, Huson went early to Shorley; Gray, Jordan & Wrench came about making the vault; the coales carters brought theire last coales; I made them drink in the servants hall; Crew, Sherwood, the Deane, Nat; Lee, G.Mainwaring, Jackson, Farrington, Minshall, Lee of Booth &c; dined with us; after dinner they bowled; went away about 7 & 8; Minshall stayd all night.