Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
2. Satorday, went to the House then home for an houer; past 1, went to London, dined at Mr Nevets (G:Mainwarings cosen) in Funshaw Streete; there was Biddolph 2 Mainwarings & a doctor; after dinner came Lawton; we went thence past 5 to the Bull in Wood Streete; there was Ward of Newcastle; & 2 or 3 more; Saladine came but stayd not long; I left them neare 7, came home.
5. Tuesday, went to the House; dined at Pryors, 2 Mainwarings Biddolph &c; with us; went to the Committe; about 6 went to Pryors; there was 2 Mainwarings Biddolph Sir R: Dutton, Parkhurst, 2 more with us; parted about 8; went home; there was Lord Maxfeild, brotherandon & Williamiams; they stayd till 10; my sonne Thomas came & stayd all night.
7. Thursday, went to the House; dined at Pryors with 2 Dones, 2 Mainwarings & Hawtry; after dinner came Lee, Minshall & Fenny, then Leek; he stayd not; I left them past 4; went to the Committe; afterwards walked in the Hall with Row above a quarter of an houer; went home at 8; Roger came & stayd all night.
8. Friday, I went to Wood; he came with me to Whitehall; Lord Maxfeild brought me to kisse the Kings hand in his bed chamber; he received me gratiously; I went then to the House; dined at home, Roger with us: past 4 I went to the Committe.
10, Sonday, I was not at church; dined at home; cosen Fairefax & her 2 sons with us; Jones, Saladine & Spence came in the afternoone; stayd not long; I went to Sir William Aston's; they were abroad; came home &c; 11. Monday, went to the House; dined at home, Biddolph, G.Mainwaring with us; went to the Committe.
13. Wednesday, went to the House; dined at Pryors; with Biddolph, Norris, Birch, Lowther, Gregory, Harlow & Nudigate; went to the Committe; then with Biddolph to Lockets; there was Mainwaring Minshall, Lee & Hughes were with me in the morning.
March 14. Thursday, I went to Lord Maxfeild, saw him & Brandon; then to Hall & Humfreys, then to the House; spoke with Leek in the lobby; then with 2 Welsh gentlemen from Mr Price; dined at home with Biddolph, brother Peter, Mainwaring & Roger; went to the Committe.
16. Satorday, went to the House, dined at the Swan with Biddolph, Hanmer, G.Mainwaring, Montague, Wigg & Pickring; then to the Committe; then to the Rummer by Charing Crosse; there was Hanmer, 2 Mainwarings & Biddolph went home about 10.
17. Sonday, was not at church; dined at home, brother Peter, Roger & Rawlins with us; past 4 came Kinaston &c; & a frind with him; then G.Mainwaring went to Towers; there was Wood, Maxfeild, Towers; parted about 10.
18. Monday, went to the House, dined at home with Biddolph, Mainwaring &c; went to the Committe; then to Towers, there was Biddolph, Mainwaring, Lee, Kelsall, Roger &c; I stayd not; went to Lutwich; there was he & Jarrat; Mainwaring & Biddolph came to us; we parted about 11; went home.
19. Tuesday, went to the House; dined at Heaven with 2 Mainwarings Biddolph Gray, Chetwin & 2 or 3 more; went to the Committe; about 7 to the Bull Head by Charing Crosse; there was Biddolph G.Mainwaring, Parry, Leek, Clark & another; we parted about 9. came home.
20. Wednesday, went to the House; dined at Pryors with Lord Maxfeild, Dutton, Mainwaring, my sonne & Lord Maxfeild's chaplaine; then went to the Swan; where was Biddolph. G.Mainwaring 2 Pelhams; 2 Montagues, Norris, Worsley &c; we parted presently; Biddolph, Mainwaring & I went to Sir Edward Wood; supt & stayd there till past 10.
22. Friday, went to the House; dined at home with Biddolph, 2 sons & daughters; went to Westminster; Committe's were ajourned; met Sir William Williams: in the Hall, talked a little, went home; Wood & Colliton came to me ; stayd about 2 houers.
24. Sonday, was not at church; dined at home; Lady Wood, her daughter & brother Peter with us; in the afternoone came Saladine, Jones, Mainwaring (the Coffe man) also Morgan; they stayd about an houer; Lady Wood & daughter went past 5; Roger & Houseman went this morning to Hampton Court; retorned at night.
25. Monday, I, Biddolph & 2 Mainwarings called at Foulers & thence went to my sonne at Theobalds; there dined with us Abraham Dashwood, Kiffyn, Morgan &c; after dinner came Justice Michell; I went to see the Vineards; left them at 6; came home past 9.
26. Tuesday, Beversham came, stayd awhile; I went to the House; dined at home with Lee, Ravenscroft, 2 Mainwarings Biddolph, Roger; Minshall came whilest at dinner; we parted past 4; went to the Committes; retorned before 6.
31. Sonday, (Easter day) went with 2 daughters & Mainwaring to the Sacrament at Aldermanbury; dined at home with Grantham, Moore & Lightfoote; in the evening came G.Mainwaring & Baroby; I went (after them) to the Grapes; there was Wood, 2 Mainwarings, Kelsall &c; parted at 10.