Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
March 2. I was not at the House; Gibson came with accounts at 11, stayd past 12. after diner Mainwaring & Morgan came & dined; past 5 Mainwaring sent me 6 bottles of wine, I went to the club past 7 retorned past 9.
6. Friday, was not abRood this day, took some manna. Gamball came with hats about 11. Herrington to see my legs before 12. no company at diner &c. past 6 came Ord & Stodart, I was not with them; my daughter was with them, they went about 8.
7. Satorday, I was not out; Huson came to me (he was in towne last night) Morgan was with me. he & Mainwaring dined with us; there came an attorney to me from Norbery about his clyents money in Mr Davyes hands; I went not to the club.
9. Monday, was not out; Herington came about 11, applyed something to my ear; Sir Gerald Corbets steward was with me to discourse about the sale of Frodesley; I desired his master to informe himselfe of particulars & to treate per lump &c. about 7 came Mainwaring & Bidolph; parted at 10.
10. Tuesday, was not out; Mount came to me about a codycill for Ashton &c. & after him Gibson about other concernes; Mrs Wood dined with us; after diner came Minshall; dicoursed of Roger's debts, the Statute &c, Huson came at 6 about the Ipsum ? of 93 & the 500 for Chester.
12. Thursday, was not out; Tovey came about 11, lookt into my eare &c. at 12 came Mount; had instructions about a codicil to my will for Ashton. Whitley & cosen Whitley's debt; dined with us (soe did cosen Prise:) went past 3. then came Morgan; I left him & Mainwaring together about 4. Ord came at 7, I excused my not seeing him by my daughter who went to him.
14. Satorday, Gamull brought me a hat; a coachman came to be hyred; I apointed him to come agen on Monday; Morgan dined with us. Minshall cald to see us but stayd not; Bidolph came about 8; stayd past 9.
16. Monday, was not out; this morning (past 8) Mr Lewes dyed; Morgan came with account of it; Herington came about 11. stayd not.; Robinson's coachman was with me; I offered him 7 li., he stayd upon 8. Fowler was with me about harnesse; he insists on 14 li.for them & braces; Morgan came agen after diner; Salmon dined with us; Morgan came at night; stayd till past 10.
17. Tuesday, Gibson came but stayd not; also Banard from Bunbery about the Statute; Mainwaring dined at home; Houseman went to Lord Wharton at Alesbury about getting my sonne to be chose burgesse at Wickam; about 7 came Mr Ord & Stodart; stayd till 8.
18. Wednesday, Herrington came about 11, seringed my eare &c. Ord. Stodart, brother Peter dined with us; Morgan came after diner, then Roger Madocks; I made him drink; I sent him & the rest of the Chester men (by Brock) in Crowne to drink; Mr Progers came to see me at 6.stayd till 7. Kate Morgan sent us a a fat turkey.
March 19. Thursday, Gibson came past 10; went at 11. Huson told me that the King had signed the Chester order last night; I sent Houseman to Horton about the 300 li. & to Crawford about the invalids at Chester; Huson came to me past 1. I hyred Richard (Robinson's coachman) gave him 1/2 crowne earnest; he is to have 7 li. wages (washing & all) no perquisites; onely Coate, Breeches & wascoate. I sent Nixon with him to the taylors to make his clothes; Morgan came at supper, stayd till 10.
20. Friday, Herrington came at 11 stayd not. Maxwell, Mrs Wood & Prise dined with us . Morgan went this morning to Wickam about the new election, I & daughter went to take the ayre, past 3, retorned at 5. this evening I received an Addresse & Association from the Citty at Chester to be presented to his Majesty.
23. Monday, Herrington came at 11, seringed me eare &c. Morgan & landlady dined with us. landlord came after diner to give me account of Sir John Frinds tryall today; about 6 came Ord & Stodart; went about 8.
24. Tuesday, Ord & 2 Stodards dined with us; soe did Mount & Mrs Wood; after diner I signed another codicill to my William; Huson discoursed the businesse of Frodesley with Ord & Stodart; they all went before 5. Morgan came past 7. stayd past 9.
25. Wednesday, Mainwaring presented Chester Association to the King this morning; Morgan went today with Mr Lewes body to be buryed at Stamford; Houseman went to visit Kate Morgan in the contrey, retorned at night; Pris: dined with us; Ord & Stodart came at 6, my daughter &c. was with them, I desired to be excused; they told my daughter they had met Huson (as was apointed) & well satisfyed with the discourse betwixt them.
26. Thursday, Gibson came past 10. then came Herington, lookt inside my eare &c. after diner came Minshall; we discoursed at large about Roger's businesse; he promised to see Stephen, Dade &c. tomorrow & give me account on Sonday.
27. Friday, I had a fit of the vapours in the morning which held me till neare 11. Bidolph & Salmon & his wife dined with us; Ord & Stodart came past 5. my daughter was with them, excused me by reason of my cold, Wood came to see me, stayd neare an houer, dranck a glasse of sack, went past 7.