Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
2. Thursday, 2 cosen Mainwarings came to goe out with my daughter; went to the House; dined at home with Mr Delves, Bellot, 2 Mainwarings, Biddolph &c; after dinner came Lee; then one Harison &c; they stayd not long; about 6 I went to the Park; walked awhile with Warburton; visited the Bishop of Chester's wife; there was she, her daughter, Waite & the chaplaine; met Mr Thomson as I went home.
3. Friday, went to the House; dined at home with Lee, 2 Mainwarings, Biddolph & brother; went about 6 to Towers; there was Sir Thomas Mainwaring, Sir William Aston, Bellot, 3 Mainwarings Lee, Nat:Booth &c; then came Lord Delamer; I left them at 8; called on Baroby below; with him was Roger, Kent & one Mr Lee; I stayd not ?Roger & I came home together, about 9.
6. Monday, Sir John Ardernes sonne came to speake with Mainwaring; went to the House, dined at home with 2 Mainwarings, Biddolph, Roger, Warburton, Nat:Lee, Mrs Wood &c; Sir Thomas Mainwarings daughters were there but would not sit downe having dined at home; I went to Westminster about 6; walked awhile in the Hall with other Members; went home.
8. Wednesday, went to the House, dined at the Swan with Biddolph, Basset, Thorney, 3 Mainwarings Gerard, Thomson, Bradshaw &c; Minshall came after dinner; we went to the Neate House (Teages) there was Sir Thomas Mainwaring, his daughters, Bradshaw, 3 Mainwarings &c; on account of Mr Mainwarings birthday; We had a collation, went home past 8.
10. Friday, took leave of Lord Delamer; there was Aston & many more; went to the House, dined at home with Biddolph & Tovey; went to the Committe (with Biddolph;) then to the Grapes; there was Wood, Cooling, Maxfeild & 2 or 3 more; parted at 9.
11. Satorday, went to the House, dined at home with Biddolph, Roger Mainwaring &c; went in the evening with Biddolph & Wood (who we met at the Coffe house) to Sir Thomas Mainwarings I called at Trenchards, he was abroad; we went to Towers; then I went with G.Mainwaring to William Williams in Grays Inne; retorned to Towers; there was 2 Mainwarings, Wood, Biddolph Gleg &c; parted past 9; went home.
May: 13. Monday, went to Westminster, dined at home with 2 Mainwarings & Gleg; went to the Committe's; retorned with Mainwaring about 8; Dyatt, his wife; Rawlins & his 2 sisters supt with us; also Biddolph Mrs Wood..
14. Tuesday, went to the House; dined at Pryors with Biddolph & Mainwaring Gleg came to me also a Lawyer with him; parted at 5; I went to the Committe; then to the Park; met Lady Aston; waited on her home; then went home, past 9.
20. Monday, went to the House, dined at home with Mainwaring & Biddolph about 4 went to the French House by St James; there was 2 Mainwarings Biddolph & Bradshaw; about 5 went to the Committe; in the evening went to Lady Woods; there was Lord Maxfeild; brought him to his doore; went home.
22. Wednesday, went to Parliment dined at the Swan with 2 Mainwarings Biddolph Bradshaw & Thomson; whilest at dinner there came Colonel ---------(unknowne to me); we went to the Committe; then to the Divell Taverne; there was Mainwaring, Stephens, (Biddolph came with me) then came Warburton & his brother, then G.Mainwaring & Fleming, we parted neare 11.
23. Thursday, went to P: dined at home with Sir Th: Mainwaring & his daughters; G.Mainwaring his wife & neece, Lee &c; past 6, Biddolph Mainwaring & I went to the Committe's; but they were up; we went then to the Bunch of Grapes; there was Maxwell, Coling, Gilmore & 2 more; we parted about 10.
25. Satorday, went to Parliment; dined at home with 2 Mainwarings & Biddolph went to the Committe; then to Lockets with Biddolph, G.Mainwaring & Pickering; Mainwaring came to us; parted before 9, came home.
27. Monday, went to Parliment; dined at Pryors with Biddolph, 2 Mainwarings, Sir Ralph Dutton &c; went to the next roome to Sir William Ashurst, Sir Robert Duckenfeild & Blake; past 5 went to the Committe, then to Sir Thomas Mainwaring then to Sir William Williams at Grays Inne; then to the Nags Head (with G.Mainwaring) there was Stephens, How, Howard, York, Hooks, Bardet & 3 or 4 more (strangers to me) I parted about 10, went home.
29. Wednesday, Kent came with Rogers bill; then I went to Parliment; dined at Pryors with Mainwaring & Norris; then I went to the Speakers Chamber; read the Militia Acts (there was no Committe) then to visit cosen Morgan at the Cock; then through the Park home.
30. Thursday, Kent came about Roger; went to Parliament; dined at home with Biddolph, Roger & Mainwaring, brother Lady Wood & daughters came about 5, also Mrs Tovey; I went to Committe; walked from Westminster (with Sir William Aston) through the Park; went home past 8, daughter Biddolph went to a new lodging at Kinsenton; stayd all night with her children.
31. Friday, Beversham came to me; I went to Parliment; dined at home (alone); Roger came about 4; went to Westminster, then to Sir Thomas Mainwaring with him & his sonne to Trenchard; I went also to Humfreys.