Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
May. 1st. . Thursday, Mr Salisbury brought me a periwig, dined, & went before 3; Morgan went about 8 towards Wales; Huson about 10, to Shotwick; about 3, Mr Jones his man brought a letter from his Master & Streete about the lands to be sold at Northop: 2. Friday, Dr Angell dined with us; went about 5.
3. Satorday, I went to Chester, visited Scranmore & Anderson & Angell; dined with G.Mainwaring there was Crew, Sir William Russell, Palmer, 2 other Captaines Morgan, Bedisford & Minshall, &c. after dinner came Scranmore, then Angell; I left them past 4; visited Booth; went to Jacksons, discoursed Hunt awhile in the streete; Hall Bingley, Salisbury, came after me to Jacksons, dranck a glasse of wine, left us; then came Minshall, Richard Wright, Farington, Lloyd, Hardware, &c. I left them before 7, Morgan went home with me. I found Sir Michael Bidolph at Peele.
4. Sonday, was not at church; William Minshall came about one, stayd till neare 6.
5. Monday, Grice came about the lease in Shorley, retorned past 11. Lightfoote (& Lawrison) came about a lease at Lach; dined, & went about 2; Dick Minshall came about 5; Judge Burton's man with his Master's debenter; & Jackson about 7; they all stayd all night.
6. Tuesday, Huson went to Chester with Burton's man; Bidolph, Morgan, Minshall, Jackson, his wife, &c. dined with us; about 4 came Crew, & Sherrard, then Angell; Crew & Sherrard went before 7; the rest stayd all night.
7. Wednesday, Huson came back from Chester, &c. Hardware came in the afternoone to see Bidolph.
8. Thursday, Jackson & his wife went home; I went with Bidolph & Minshall about 3 to Tarvyn; there was Crew, Lee, Gleg, Aldersey, &c. about the militia; we parted about 5: 9. Friday, Scranmore & G.Mainwaring came to dine with us (daughter Mainwaring went to Utkinton, & Charlotte & sisters to Mrs Williams funerall at Chester) Jackson, yong Henthorne, G.Mainwarings cosen,&c. dined with us; Salisbury came with a periwig to Bidolph they all went about 6; Henthorne about 4; Minshall & Morgan stayd all night.
10. Satorday, dined at home; with Bidolph, Minshall & Morgan went to Chester about 2; visited the Bishop; went to Quire service; Fog & another Gentleman came to the Bishop whilest we were with him; we left him about 5; went to Jacksons; there was Taylor, Wright, his sonne, Bell. Shales, Murray, Parry, G.Mainwaring,&c. Bidolph & I left them past 7; came home.
11. Sonday, went to church in the afternoone with Bidolph daughters, &c. Morgan came at night.
12. Monday, Bidolph took phisick; Hardwar came to visit him in the evening, Morgan went to Chester, past 6.
13. Tuesday, Huson went to Wales to the Receipte; Bidolph & Hardwar to Mr Lee's; Edisbury's man brought me a letter about Roger's debt; one Britaine of Chester & his daughter dined with us.
May 14. Wednesday, Bidolph I, daughters, &c. dined at home; no company, nor businesse.
15. Thursday, Peter Bostock came about work; Kat: Calvert came to see us; Bidolph & I went towards Chester, about 10 Hoole & his daughter came to see us; we alighted at Wrights, went to G.Mainwaring's: dined there with Scranmore, Streete, 2 Lees, Minshall, Frith, Shales, &c. Crew came past 3, left us past 4; I left them past 5, visited Hunt, there was Sherrard; I went thence to the Sunne; there was Deane, Murray, 2 Anderson's, G.Mainwaring, Lee, Minshall, Johnson, Bidolph,&c. Bidolph & I went thence past 7; called at the Golden Lyon on Sir William Aston; he was at supper with Hunt, Brook, & 3 or 4 more; we left them presently. went home.
16. Friday, Bidolph & I dined at home; after dinner came Kelsall the minister, another Kelsall & Whitley; they stayd above an houer; Bidolph went to meete Minshall at Trafford, brought him with him at night; Sefton came about carrying coales; stayd an houer.
17. Satorday, Bidolph & Minshall dined with us & Jackson; they went to fish in the afternoone; Jackson went back at 7.
18. Sonday, I was not at church; Bidolph & Minshall dined with us; Hardwar & his wife came with daughters & Bidolph from church; went away before supper.
19. Monday, Jackson sent word that Scranmore woud dine with us; which he did & brought Shales, Newport & Jackson with him; Mr Gleg also came from Dodington; also Angell dined with us; they all went away in the evening; & Minshall also.
20. Tuesday, I sent my coach to Chester to bring Mrs Mainwaring to dinner; G.Mainwaring his wife & daughter; Deane, Murray, Pemberton, Edwards, Fernaught, with 3 Londoners, Crew, Mackworth, Hardwar, his wife, &c. dined with us; parted about 6 or 7, &c. my carts, &c. brought 16 loade of coales.
21. Wednesday, the fast day, I was at home all day; Huson retorned at night from the Receipte in Wales: 22. Thursday, Bidolph went to the forest to fish about 11; with Houseman , & Bills; Randle Foster came to work in the little house by the well; about 5 the carts retorned with coales; severall of the men that I hyred (as 2 Seftons, Mouldsdale, &c.) came up to me in the Hall; I gave them some ale & a bottle of wine.
23. Friday, Huson went to the Receipte at Tarvyn; Houseman to Chester; Vernon to Staffordshire;,&c. Foster came to work, &c. Jordan also came in the evening about work; Nat. Booth's man came with a letter about 4; Mr Lee came to see us from Lady Warrington; he supt with us, stayd all night; Morgan came about 10.
24. Satorday, Lee went about 9; Morgan & Huson went to Tarvyn, & Chester, &c. Fletcher came in the evening.
25. Sonday, I was not at church: Morgan & Huson came to Peele at night; I discoursed Harry Syddall about Clares removing to Moldsworth & his going in the morning with Huson to buy a fat oxe at Aston.
26. Monday, Bostock & his men & Foster came to work; Mr Traverse came to see us & Savage to daughter Mainwaring; they dined with us, Bidolph Angell & Morgan daughters & sister Anne went (about 3) to Utkington; retorned about 7; Angell about 5; Traverse supt with us;.
27. Tuesday, Traverse, Morgan & one Lenox (a Chester Barber) dined with us; he went about 4; Bidolph, Morgan & Traverse went a shooting; Scranmore sent his man to invite me & Bidolph to dine with him tomorrow; about 7 Bowyer of Sandwich called to see Charlotte's mayde, but would not alight; Traverse came back with Bidolph & Morgan; did stay till past 10; I left them.
28. Wednesday, Morgan & Huson went to Chester past 8; Bidolph & I went after them past 9; went to visit G.Mainwaring & Angell; dined with Scranmore; there was Shomberg, Newport, Cuffe, Warburton; the Bishop, Fog, Streete, Bidolph Mainwaring & Compton,&c. parted past 3, went to the Quire, then to the Bishop: then to Jacksons; the Keeper spoke with me about the paling; at Jacksons was Cuffe, Streete, Wright, Mnshull, Scranmore, Farington, &c. I left them past 7; called at Ephrahim Bennets; dranck at the doore (in the coach). Fox drank with me; we stayd not, went home [fo. 118v] May: 29. Thursday, my daughters & sister Anne went to dine with Lady Aston; I & Sidney dined at home; past 4 came the Parson of Barrow with severall of his parishoners having bin theire Perambulation to the Bounds of the Parish, they had a bottle of wine, beere, &c. & went past 5; Morgan came from Chester about 10; Huson & Thomas Hughes about 11.
30. Friday, Partridge (a Chester gardiner) Thomas Hughes, Morgan & Bidolph dined with us; the first went away past 2; Morgan past 6; the cooper of Frodsam came about buying wood; a man with wine from Badely; Fletcher came to work.
31. Satorday, Huson & Hughes went to Chester; no company all day.