Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
2. Monday, cart went to Chester for malt; Jack with letters; after diner Yong came to talk of selling me barley, pease &c. one Leftwich to see Akerleys house in order to lease, Williamson came from Norhop about leasing theere; Key came past 4, Roger past 6.
November 5. Thursday, Jackson of Kelsall brought me a horse for a waife; Crosse of Shotwick dined with me. Jordan came about his accounts. 4 men came from Dyssart with 21 measures of wheate in 6 lods; Mrs Alport came from Peover & Mr Lloyd (& his wife) from Chester past 5. Smith was abRood all day; came at night.
6. Satorday, Lachford was with me about his lease; Palin, Harison, Row & Moses came from Bechin (brought 3 loads of wood) Millington with Williamson & Bethell came from Northop; all dined & Abraham the Quaker.
7. Satorday, Houwseman went past 9 to Chester; Huson retorned about 11 from Frodesley. Grice came from Runcorne about the rents due there; brought no money; promised to clear all (being 2 years) this day fortnight; Lloyd & his wife retorned to Chester past 2 of the clock; Huson went past 4. Smithers came to see us from Sir John Crew; Roger went away this evening, his when or whither we know not.
14. Satorday, Houseman & the husbandman went to Chester to buy corne. Ben. the gardner came from the Ladys at Rock Savage to visit us; I spoke with Pickering about his, his wife & son's working in my garden; Houseman was out all night.
15. Sonday, the yong women &c went to church; I had a fit this morning; Bowker & Gill were with me after diner; Profit & his sonne (in the evening) about ridding & kidding; Roger & cosen Whitley came about 6.
17. Tuesday, I sent Brock (and the cart) to Chester with 6 dozen bottles of mumme to Sheriffe Mainwaring & to bring bottles & iron back &c. Biggins went early to Chester; the man came about taking of Frodesley (Huson with him interl), Williamson & Bethell about Lleece & Venghlog; Millington came with them & dined, supt & stayd all night; Morgan came also in the afternoone; Crew came past 2. I went past 4.
18. Wednesday, the men that came yesterday about taking the lands went away this morning; about 3 cosen L: Lloyd came to us; Huson went past 4. but before he went, he, Morgan & I discoursed about the Receriver place; widow Akerley came after diner about leaving her house.
19. Thursday, Friday, cosen Whitley & L. Lloyd dined, went about 2. Bromley & Yong came to seale leases & bonds; Davyes of Tarperley brought a letter from Crew & to discourse about getting him a bag of his owne as Postmaster of Tarperley.
21. Satorday, Bowker was with me past 10. we discoursed about leasing some of the Common ground in Ashton; about businesse at Bechin, his work at the mill &c. he & Houseman went to view the trees in Popes=Buty Threusdale &c. Houseman went to Chester at one, retorned past 11.
November 24, Tuesday, the 2 Lunts came about to 2 seale a lease at Ashton. Gough went back to Frodesley without agreeing for the demeane there: the keepers son brought a leane doe. Broster went to Chester to get the Captains? bill to Lord Ranelagh for the 40 li. I lent them,25. Wednesday. Roger went early to Utkinton; Morgan & I discoursed about the Receivers Place; he fell off from his former proposals; soe we are both free as to that businesse &c. I declared it before Huson, 26. Thursday, Hixon went to Tarperley with a rowle of brawne, for wood; past 11 Witshard the Attorney came about Roger's debt to Griffith &c. also another man & Hales of Namptwich. while we were at diner came Adams, Davyes, White, Grey, Reeves his sonne; some dined with us; some in the buttry: also Partington & Batho; they all went in the evening, & Morgan with them; Dounton came about Frodesley, stayd all night; & Roger dined with us but went agen to Utkinton.
27. Friday, about 11 Amy went to be marryed at Tarvyn (other 3 mayds with her)) in my coach; also Huson, Houseman & some other servants; Joseph came to trim me about 12. Amy, with her husband, his mother, sister & 2 men, came with them & dined with us: soe did Dounton, the mother & sonne, stayd all night, about 4 James Mainwaring sent Thomas with a letter to acqainte me that Alderman Streete was dead & to desire me to write for his place in the Mint for him; Alderman Lloyd writ about 8 to the same effect; I & Dounton sealed Frodesly articles that night.
28. Satorday, Huson & Dounton went to Chester past 9. Houseman, Madamoiselle, Nixon &c. past 10 Thomas went to Tarperly with a letter to Mainwaring; past 1 Charles Lewes & Robinson (officers of the Mint) came & dined with us; went about 4. Moses came from Frodesley, Madamoiselle about 7. Houseman past 10.
30. Monday, Houseman went about 8 to Chester to goe with Huson into Worrall; Dick Minshall came before 10. dined & went about 3 towards Chester; daughter & children wen about 4 to eate a goose at Margett Kents, retorned about 6.