Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
2. Tuesday, Biddolph & Minshall went (past 8) a shooting &c; retorned about 12; Littleton dined with us, yong Mrs Banns & another sate by; about 3 came Mr Whitby; Littleton went past 4; Whitby neare 6.
3. Wednesday, Biddolph went to dine with Mr Dyatt at Lichfeild; after dinner Minshall & I went to Mrs Rawbones (about 5) drancke a pinte of wine; then went to Dyatts; there was Biddolph, Hamond, Cope & 4 or 5 more with him (all strangers to me) we left him past 7; came home, supt, parted about 10.
4. Thursday, dined at Elmehurst, drancke a glesse of ale (in the coach at Sand, there was in the House the Sheriffe, Whitgrave, Symonds & Lord Aston had newly left them); lay at Stone; Biddolph brought us thither; Tomkinson came after us, supt with us; also a cosen of Biddolph's: (a stranger to me; I know not his name) he went past 8; I left them at 10.
5. Friday, I parted; there with Biddolph came to Namptwich about 1; stayd an houer at the Lamb to eate some colde meate; afterwards called at a smithy, at the end of Watfield pavemt to see a horse; found one Mr Huxley there; did not stay, came to Peele past 7; found Mr Mainwaring there, supt, parted at 10.
6. Satorday, after dinner Harcourt called on me: Hughson came with him (from the Audit) brought Thomas Hughes & another with him; also Hoole of Bunbery came to Mainwaring they parted past 3; then Minshall; l went away, to Chester.
Ocr: 9. Tuesday, Hardwar, his wife & daughter-in-law dined with us; also Laurence Baskerville; then came Angell; then Maj or Minshall whilest we were at dinner; they all went about 4 &c; Morgan Whitley came that night late, from London: 10. Wednesday, Morgan Whitley went (in the morning) towards Flint Assises.
12. Friday, Minshall & Houseman went a setting in the morning; one from Sir Willoughby Aston came to visit us; about 12 I sent my coach & groome to meete daughter Mainwaring &c; from Peover; they came back about 7 at night.
14. Sonday, I went to church (with daughters) in the afternoone; after sermon, went to the Grey Hound where the Deane was, (another with him) Hardwar came with me, 2 or 3 Bruens & Traverse came after us; the Deane read his newes; I dranck a glasse of ale; left him, went to my daughters (who stayd in the coach for me) went home &c; Huson retorned late that night from Frodesly.
15. Monday, I went to Chester to waite on the Sheriffe then went to both the Judges; called on Dr Angell, Hunt & Taylor; met Michael Johnson, Murrey, then G.Mainwaring &c; in the streets; they all desired me to be at the Pentehouse after dinner to hear new Charter read: I dined with the Sheriffe, Sir Thomas Stanley & many others at Jacksons; Mrs Hurlestone came to another roome to speake about the money her husband is bound for Roger; I went (with others) about 4 to the Penthouse; there was Shakerly, Stanley, Leeming & severall others (Aldermen, common councell &c;) the Charter was read; none of the company seemed to approve of it, they discoursed of petitioning, for theire old charter; I left them; went with Minshall & Farington to the Sunne; found there Anderson, Edwards, Huett & Basnet; then came 2 Mainwarings, Roger Mainwaring, Streete, Pickering, Wright, Johnson, Bret, Kinaston, severall others; Edwards &c; went first, then Anderson; I left them past 9; lodged at Dr Angells.
16. Tuesday, I went to G.Mainswaring's then to the Quire to prayers & sermon; then to the Shirehall; retorned with G.Mainwaring to Jacksons; there was Lee of Booth &c; I dined with the Sheriffe, Sir Robert Cotton, Dukenfeild & many others; saw Jack Egerton (with Mainwaring in the kitchen) went with G.Mainwaring & Minshall to his House; Wright came to us, had a bottle of wine; left them past 4; went home; met Bellott going towards Chester, neare Stanford Bridge.
17. Wednesday, Huson & Houseman went to Chester; stayd at home all day; Hardwar called to see us in the evening but stayd not; after supper, Tarvyn schoolemaster came to me to desire me to be the next day at the assises about the schoole money that was sued? for; Cadwallader brought venison from Frodesley.
19. Friday, I went to Chester; alighted at Wrights; had a tankerd of ale with the Aldermen, then came Lee of Darnehall, Roger Mainwaring, G.Mainwaring, Minshall, Gleg, Owen Hughes &c; dined at Jacksons with the Sheriffe; Cotton, Duckenfeild &c; went past 3, with Nat: Lee, Minshall & Stephens to the Sunne (the last stayd but awhile) then came G.Mainwaring, Johnson, Kynaston, Deane, Streete &c; I left them at 5; came home about 7.
22. Monday, Mainwaring went to Utkinton; retorned after supper; Huxley and yong Gardiner & brother dined with us; they went past 3; also 2 men came with Runcorne rents; dranck a glasse of wine; went about 4.
23. Tuesday, Crew, Sherwood, Stephens, the Deane, Nat: Lee, Arden (a London Scrivener) G.Mainwaring, Jack Wright, Minshall, Jackson, Travers dined with us; Lee & Minshall stayd all night; the rest went, some past 4, some past 6.
24, Wednesday, Hughson went to Shotwick, Brombrow &c; Mainwaring & Minshall to Chester; Lee went home; Sir Willoughby Aston's man came with a letter to Mainwaring; also Bolton & 2 others from Tatenhall came to him about a reference &c; in the afternoone, Low (Lord Brandon's servt:) came about his rent; stayd not; Mainwaring retorned about 8.
25. Thursday, Mr Hand came in the morning about money due to Mr Harry Gleg; then came Robert Lloyd & his sonne about my sonne suing them &c; they dined with us; at the end of dinner came Minshall; he & Mainwaring went (past 2) towards Peover; the rest went to Chester past 3; Morgan Whitley stayd all night.
28. Sonday, I went to church in the afternoone with my daughters; after sermon, I went with the Deane, Mainwaring, Minshall, Morgan, Traverse & Grantham to the Vicars; about 5, I left them; Mainwaring, Morgan, Traverse went with me in the coach, supt &c; Minshall went to Chester.
29. Monday, Mainwaring & I went to Chester; alighted & dined at Wrights, G.Mainwaring, Streete, Nat: Lee & Minshall with us; after dinner Taylor came to speake with me, stayd ½ houer, left us; the rest of us went to Jackson's; Alderman Wright went with us; Jack Wright & Cockaine came for us past 5; Mainwaring, Nat Lee & I left them, came home past 7.
Ocr: 30. Tuesday, Mainwaring went away about 7 towards Dedington, Nat: Lee went at the same tyme; Mr Newcome dined with us, went away about ½ past 2; Boswell came about paving; Morgan & Jackson came about 7, supt; I left them before 10; Mainwaring retorned when I was in bed.
31. Wednesday, Huson went about 9 towards Chester; Jackson went about 10; after dinner came in Mr Hardware, stayd but awhile; Mainwaring, I & Morgan went to see the Deane we met Minshall man neare Ashton; we went to the Deanes about 4; Traverse came after us; we stayd with him till 8; retorned tp Peele before 9; found Jackson, his wife & Bradshaw there; we supt; I left them about 11.