Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Ocr:1st. Wednesday, I, sonne, daughters & Bidolph went to Chester; I & sonne dined with the Judges, (severall lawyers & Newport, &c.interl) then I went (past 2) with the tenant of Aston, Bonnell, Grantham, &c. to Bretland, to speake about the tenant (Yong's) businesse; then I met Taylor at Huson's house; walked thence to Jackson's; met Hurst, Deane, Anderton, G.Mainwaring & severall others in the Rowes; at Jackson's were L: Lloyd, Wright, Newport, G.Mainwaring, Vicars, Bellot, Lee of Booth, Nat. Lee, Jones, &c. I left them about 6, went home with daughter & Bidolph the keeper came that night with a doe from Frodesly; my 2 sisters came that night to Peele.
2. Thursday, one Powell & another came about money due from Roger to Boudler; they & the keeper retorned past 12; 2 men came from Yates about Boothe's money; had it & went away; Sefton came from Barrow about recommending a servant & another man thence about his sonne to be my cowman; Salmon & his sonne came about work & a man from Shotwick with venison; Bellot, T. Whitley, & L: Lloyd dined with us; Bellot went about 7; the rest stayd all night; also Ned Morgan & Morgan W: 3. Friday, Bidolph, Ned Morgan ,T: Whitley, Morgan, L: Lloyd dined with us; Grise & another came about sealing a lease, dined in the Hall; a yong man from Barrow (his father with him) came to be hyred, &c. Hardwar & his wife came to see us after noone.
4. Satorday, my sonne, T: Whitley, Lloyd, Ned Morgan & Morgan went to Chester before 10; Huson & Tomkinson before them; Mrs Astrey & the husbandman went to Staffordshire early; John Browne (the cook) came from London about money Roger owes him; dined with us; went away about 2; Swetnam came past 5; stayd all night; my sonne retorned about 9 from Chester.
5. Sonday, I went to church in the morning; soe did Bidolph, Sydney & Swetnam; Tomkinson went about 9 towards Dysert & to the Audit; Morgan & Huson came in the afternoone to prepare for the Audit; Mosse, Ward & Barber were with me, at night, discoursing of work.
7. Tuesday, we had an earthquake (a great one, but of short continuance) about half houer past 7; Angell went (past 10) towards Oulton; Bidolph & Swetnam a larking; past 10, I was served with a summons (by Mrs Lettice Whitley's boy) from Fawlkes, Kenyon, & Acton; to attend theire Reference on the 23rd inst: after dinner my sonne & I went to the funerall of Mrs Radley at Tarvyn, before sermon we went with Sherard & another to the Vicars; Mr Grantham invited us to his house; we dranck a glasse of sack; there was Traverse, the Vicar, Bruen, &c. we stayd ½ houer, came home; Mrs Astrey & John retorned from Staffordshire.
10. Friday, Streete sent his man with a letter to persuade me to goe to Chester about election of a Mayor; I did not goe; my sonne went thither about 11; Hardwar came to aske for him & Bidolph they were abroad; he stayd not; my sonne retorned late from Chester (past 10) Nat. Lee with him; I saw them not that night.
13. Monday, about 11 Donald came from Chester to (trimme crossed out) trim me; Ben: Cratchley came about Glasier's businesse; they dined & went before 3; my sonne & Lee went at the same time (as they said) a coursing; came back about 7. Tomkinson came back late from the Audit.
14. Tuesday, Huson came from the Audit & Tomkinson went to the Audit at Middlewich; my sonne & I went to Chester (met Morgan at Tarvyn going to Middlewich) I, sonne, G.Mainwaring Baroby & Crosse dined at Jackson's; we went to the almeshouses; drank some ale at the Widdows with Mr Wright, Streete & some others; went then to Andersons, then to the new Mayor (there were the 2 Leavelookers) we dranck in both places; I went then to G.Mainwaring saw his wife & daughter & Mall: Ravenscroft in the Row; went thence (with G.Mainwaring) to Jacksons; there was my sonne, Streete, Wright, Baroby, 2 Kinastons, Mercer, Mainwaring of Wrexam, &c. we parted past 5; Taylor was with me at Jacksons before dinner; stayd not; I called on Bennet in the Forest streete; there was Ely with him; they came to the coach, had a tankerd, went home.
15. Wednesday, sent John Nixon with letters to Chester; Morgan retorned from Middlewich, about 2; Huson & Tomkinson, past 8; yong Fowler came about 12; dined with the servants; came to me after dinner, dranck a glasse of wine; went about 4.
17. Friday, 2 men came about taking land (I know not theire names), they dined with Huson in the buttry, went past one; Tomkinson went to Brombrow about 11; after dinner (about 3) Jackson came from Chester; stayd all night.
20. Monday, Danold came to trimme me; he, Angell & Hough dined with us; went away about 3, &c. Richard Hughes came from Northop about his accounts [fo. 125r] Ocr: 21. Tuesday, G.Mainwaring, Streete, Farington, Mercer, Fernhagh, Kinaston, Griffith, Pemberton, Parry, Morgan, my sonne, &c. dined with us; the Chester men retorned past 4.
23. Thursday, Sir Thomas Peirceall went about 9; Mr Newcomen, Bird, Bolton and Wright came from Tatenhall; Angell & a surgeon from Chester; dined, & retorned about 4; soone after came the keeper, & Cadwallader from Frodesly & after them came Frogsall, stayd all night; Hughes retorned about 3.
28. Tuesday, my sonne & I went to Chester; sister Angell with us; lighted at Jacksons; there came Taylor to me; dined at Angells with sonne & Morgan & cosen Collyer; cosen Cooper, & (2 interl cosen came in whilest at dinner; Alderman Anderson came after dinner; then I went to the almeshouses; retorned (with Crosse) to Jacksons; thither came the Governor, Streete, Mainwaring Johnson, Deane, Fernhagh, Murray, Kinaston, Parry, Sparks, Goodhand, Morgan, Mercer, &c. we went homewards about 5; came home past 7, Tomkinson with us.