Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
3. Monday, Hughson came at 9; I went to Chester at 10; lighted & dined at Angell's, another man with us; Donald trimmed me; Streete came after dinner, & Morgan who went with me to meete the Judges at Haugh hill; I went with them to the Hall; took my leave on the Bench; (met the 2 Recorders in the Court; interl.) went to Jacksons; there was Parry, Bolland, Gerard, 2 Mainwarings, Streete &c I went home past 5; came home at 7.
4. Tuesday, S. Hughson & Davyes went (about 7) to the Audits at Ruthyn; Cartright to Chester past 10; 2 Chester men about money owing for laths, went past 11; Lightfoote, his brother & Grantham came at 12 about lands at Lach, went presently; whilest at dinner came Auditor Huet & his man; dined, went past 4; Cartright retorned at night.
5. Wednesday, I went to Chester past 10; alighted at Jackson's; found my son Thomas there, we dined at the Sheriff's with the Judges, Bishop & severall others; went thence about 4 to Jackson's (met Colonel Danyell in the streete) Alderman Streete went with me, we found there yong Baskervile & 2 others; they went presently; there was Law: Baskervile, Baroby, Dr Jackson, Aldersey, Nat: Booth, Colonel Danyell, 2 Mainwarings, Minshall, Auditor, my son &c I left them past 5; cald at the Bars; was at home about 7; my son, & Auditor, (& Walforne interl.) came soone after; S. Hussey brought me Hatherton rent.
6. Thursday, the Auditor went past 9; Hussey past 10; Cadwalader brought 2 does from Frodesley; my sons went a setting & to Bromley's in the afternoone; Smith (Mr Froysall's cosen) came about 6; supt, stayd all night.
7. Friday, Smith went away early; Cadwallader past 11; then came Yates for Mr Booth's money; went at 12; Roger Barnes came then & dined, went before 2; my son Thomas went to Chester past 11; Roger & Walforne went a coursing about 3; retorned about 6; Crewes man came to see us at 4.
10. Monday, Mainwaring went past 10 to Chester; my son Thomas with him; widow Cookson came & payd 30li in part of rent; I went to Chester, lighted & dined at Jackson's with Bellot, my sonne, Lee, Mainwaring, Kinaston, Arderne, Gleg &c after dinner came Colonel Danyell, Minshall, Streete; I went with Streete to the Penthouse before 4; there was Lord Warington, Deputy Recorder, G.Mainwaring, Ince, Wilcox, Wilson,&c. saw the Bull bayte; drank some wine after it in the Penthouse; went to Jackson's, took coach past 5; went home; Lord Warington, Bellot & Lee came with Mainwaring & sonne; supt, stayd all night.
11. Tuesday, Lord Warington, Bellot, Lee & Mainwaring went about 7; about 9 came Vernon to seale a lease, pay his fine &c Ormes, Booth shoemaker, & Charles Maltman, also Penny from Hatherton dined with the servants; had a bottle in the buttry after dinner; went past 2; my sons & Houseman & Walforne went a setting, & retorned about 6.
14. Friday, Shipton came about 8 from Mainwaring (at Chester); my son & I went thither about 9; lighted at Jackson's went to Lord Warington, to Booth's, then to the Penthouse & Common Hall to choose a Mayor; the Poll calld till past 3; G.Mainwaring & I were housed; I was chose; after sheriffs & other officers were named; we went to sup at the coach & Horses; there was Warington, Grosvenor, Shakerley, severall Aldermen & others; about 8, Warington & I went to the Ship; thither came 2 Mainwarings, Streete, Booth, Warburton, Angell & severall others; we parted at 10; I went to Angell's; lay there, [fo. 150v] 15. Satorday, fidlers, drummers, ringers & severall people were with me in the morning; I went about 11 to the Penthouse; then (with some Aldermen & Sheriffs) to visit the markets; then to the Penthouse agen, where I made G.Mainwaring's son, Sheriff Burrow's son & Sam Gerards son freemen; then went to diner at Gerard's with 2 Mainwarings, Streete, Grosvenor, Ince, Wilcox, Edwards, Lloyd, Booth, Vicars, my son, Parry &c. past 2; I went with Grosvenor, Streete, Lloyd & Sheriffs &c. to the Cornmarket; retorned to Gerard's; then to G.Mainwaring's & to see the next house; then back to Gerard's, then to Angell's; took coach; called at Lady Bellot's & sister Whitley's; then home (my son with me) about 7; Mainwaring came past 8.
17. Monday, Houseman went about 11 to Caergurly faire; I sent a cart with goods to Chester; Huson came about 11; G.Mainwaring, Streete, Deane, Kinaston, Parry, Angell, my sister, (cosen Priscilla Interl.) &c. dined with us; went about 4 & 5; Lightfoote & his brother came about 2 to discourse of land at Lach; stayd but awhile, &c. Mosse & Profit went to Bechin to bring cattle to Holt faire.
21. Friday, I went to Chester with daughters, sisters, Mainwaring, sonne, &c. about 11; sent the cart with goods &c. lighted & dined at Angell's; went to new house &c. lay at Angells; (Mainwaring & I interl.) visited the Bishop at 5; the Deane & Antwisle were with him; went then to the Ship; there were Mainwarings, 22. Satorday, went to the Penthouse; dined at Jackson's with 2 Mainwarings, Streete, Whitby &c. went in the evening to the house & G.Mainwaring's; Bellot came to us; I left them before 9.
23. Sonday, I went to St Peter's church; Mr Tomson preached; dined at the new house with the Aldermen, Sheriffs, theire wifes, &c. stayd there till 9; 2 Mainwarings, daughters, Mrs Mainwaring, Johnson, Bellot &c. with us.
24. Monday, went to the Penthouse & court; stayd there till 2; dined at new house with Aldermen, (Sheriffs interl.) Treasurer, Coroners, Crew, Bellot, Daniell, Captaine Wright, &c. calld at the Ship; there was Sacheverell & Cranfeild (the Quaker) 2 Mainwarings, Streete, Kinaston, &c. I left them before 9, went to Angell's, &c. Streete brought Touchet to me.
25. Tuesday, I dined at Angells; (Mrs Harleston & Lee came to me about Roger's debt interl.) went to the new house & to Gerard's; there were 2 Mainwarings, Cratchley, &c. we went in the evening to Mr Bell's; there were 2 Mainwarings, Streete, Kinaston, Deane, Cockaine, &c. I left them past 8.
26. Wednesday, I went to the Penthouse at 11; made 2 freemen &c. dined at Angell's; went to Jackson's, after noone there were 2 Mainwarings; Captaine Davyes, &c. I left them before 6; G.Mainwaring & I went Salisbury's;then came Mainwarig, Streete, Johnson, Bell, Cockaine, Kinaston, &c. parted at 9; wemt to Angell's &c. there was Roger to take his leave; intending for going towards Ireland 27. Thursday, the Bishop came to see me; also the Deane; &c. G.Mainwaring, Streete, &c. we took coach past 12; cald at the Bars; there was Roger, he resolved to goe that afternoone towards Ireland; we parted there; came to Peele at 2; Mainwaring came in the afternoone; my son Thomas about 7; I found Huson & Dager at Peele; also Wright of Hatherton, they stayd all night.
28. Huson went about 8 to Brombrow; Dager & Wright went homewards; Mainwaring, 2 daughters & sister went to Utkinton; came back about 5; one Lee came from Chester about selling of ale, not being free.
29. Satorday, Lee was with me agen this morning; Angell came about 11; Crew, Huxley & Cockayne at 12; Streete, G.Mainwaring, Hadley, 2 Bakers, &c. before 1; we dined; then came Jackson, his wife, Gray, Morgan, Conen, (Bradshaw interl.) &c. all went at night, but Morgan, Conen, Bradshaw, Jackson & his wife; Mrs Crofts & Lee came about 3 to speake with my sonn about money, went past 4; Crew &c. stayd till 7.