Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
October 1. Monday. Mainwaring went early to Knotsford; Huson,& S: Hussey came about 9. Huson went to Northop faire & Mold assises; Hussey desires to take a lease; Palin & Moldsworth dined with me. he would take lands at Bechin; Hoknell & Bidolph dined with us; in the evening I went to Angells to visit his nephews; Bidolph was there with them; I went about 7 to the Ship; there was G.Mainwaring, Johnson. Deane, Edwards, Wright, Burrows; we all parted little past 9. I & Taylor were together awhile before the others came; he stayd but awhile with me; I took pills this night.
2. Tuesday, Anderson & his brother came to pay me the Mayor's rent. Johnson & Pemberton came with a man that desires to be made free; Grantham came about a frind that would lease Tatenhall; I drank Epsom water this morning; Mainwaring sent venison from Peover; Bidolph went a setting towards Peele; Swetnam dined with us; Attorney Minshall came at diner tyme; Walton soone after; then Jackson (the scrivener) & a Warrington man; then the man of Barnet Well, all went (severally) before 4. Bidolph retorned in the evening.
3. Wednesday, I went to the Penthouse past 11. retorned past 1. Streete, Williamson, Bidolph dined with us; about 2 my teame & servants brought the first columne from Manley to towne; G.Mainwaring came about 4. stayd not; Bostock, Davyes &c. came about the mason's work; Griffith & the Brewer complained of Mr Neston opposing them & striking the brewer &c at Chrissleton &c. made him bleed &c. at 6 I went to widow Bennets, there was Fletcher, Colgrave, Kirk, 2 Bathos, Robinson, Madocks, G.Mainwaring, Baroby, Monson &c; we parted past 8. G.Mainwaring, Baroby, & I called at Jackson's; Baskervile came to us; we parted before 11. Houseman went to Shotwick with Winstanley, retorned in the evening.
4. Thursday, Bidolph went abRood a shooting about 7, Johnson came about the tyth fish of Saughall; Houseman went with him to Norbery; Morgan & Key dined with us G. Mold & another came to see me also Thomas Ravenscroft, Hylord & another, they dranck, stayd not long. G.Mainwaring & Cratchley & Deane were also with me.
5. Friday, I went to the Penthouse upon complainte of Kingston, Lowndes &c. against some foreigners for not shutting up theire shops, the faire being ended; I dined (with my daughters & family, Mainwaring, Bidolph &c.) at Angells; went past 4 to the Coffe House; then home; & about 7 to the Feathers; there was Lloyd, Williamson, Daniels, Streete, Holland, Kinaston, Bidolph; we parted past 9.
6. Satorday, went to the Penthouse past 11. made 9 freemen; retorned past 1. Streete. Lloyd, Williamson, 2 Mainwarings, Minshall, Bidolph &c. dined with us; in the evening came Johnson, Deane, Kinaston, Cratchley & 2 Mainwarings &c. parted about 9.
7. Sonday, was not at church; cosen Whitley &c. dined with us; about 5 Sir R. Cotton, his lady, daughters, Lady Catherly came to visit us; then I went to visit Lady Salisbury & the Bishop; then home & supt.
8. Monday, I & G.Mainwaring went to visit Sir William Williams; then to the Court about 1; retorned home; Sir William & his son dined with us; also Streete. Lloyd, Edwards, Ince, G.Mainwaring, Williamson, Minshall, Cumberbach, Sam: Jones &c. past 2 I went to the Penthouse, to the bullbaite (Lawton with me) past 4 he & I went to waite on the Judges; then I went to the Bull, there was Jack Johnson & his father in law (Pack interl) Minshall, Baroby, Mercer & a Captaine from Ireland; the Captaine, Minshall & Boroby went with me to the Ship; there was 2 Mainwarings, Streete, Lawton, Nat. Llee, Bellot &c. I left them past 9. came home, there was Crew, & Delves; then came Mainwaring; then G.Mainwaring; stayd till past 12.
9. Tuesday, Moris came to get 3 li. advanced on account of glasing at Bechin; Frith to shew me a letter from Commissioners of Excise about Excise officers &c. Griffith about the tryall about the way to Wrexam &c. I sent Houseman with him to Maders & Councell &c. Lawton & Attorney Minshall dined with us; after diner Yates came; then G.Mainwaring; all went past 3. I bought a paire of gloves from Billings; before diner came Johnson & 2 others about making a freeman. I went to the Penthouse at 4 to waite on the Judges (with the Aldermen, Sheriffs &c.) at 5. retorned about 6. Lee came & stayd with me awhile; we went to the christening at G.Mainwarings; there was much company, I left them past 10.
10. Wednesday, Basnet came about Shotwick; then Crosse & Maydens 2 men about making a freeman; then Trugarne & 3 more of the company against making Thomas Bateman free. Mr Yates sent his servant to receive 40 li. for Mr Bootell; Bellot & Lawton came to speake with Mainwaring; also Johnson & Holland; Danalds wife came to me for money Roger owes her; Shales came about the sheep at Bechin ; after diner came Parson Gerard about his sister Fernehall's businesse with Mr Coker; about 6 I went to visit Sir Robert Cotton & Nat. Lee; saw them, Lady Caterley, Lady Cotton &c. then went to wayte on Sir W. Aston & Delves; they were abRood; then went to Serjeant Warmingham's; there was Streete, G.Mainwaring, Edwards, Lloyd, Parry, Jackson, Smith, Deane,(Pennington interl), Bolland &c. I left them past 8. then went to Bell's there the Sheriffe, Penington, Warren, Bradshaw, Lee of Booth, Davenport &c. I left them past 9. came home.
11. Thursday, 3 men came to see Mr Richard Warburton's writings. Danald trimmd me; Hachet came about paying the widows 1/2 crowns; Anderton came with a bill from Roger which I refused; the Judges, some Justices of Peace, Gentlemen, Lawyers & Aldermen dined with me; they parted past 4. about 5 I went to the Penthouse to meete the Recorder & Justices about naming the succeeding Mayor. Sir Hugh Owens son came with the Recorder; we had wine &c. Edy went first; then I, 2 Mainwarings, Streete, Sheriffs, Lloyd &c. went to the Ship; the Sheriffe of the ?, Warren & another came to us; also Baskervile; we parted about 10.
12. Friday, (the election day of Mayor, Sheriffs &c.) I went to the Penthouse about 12. then to the Hall; the election was over & the Court up. about 2 they brought me home, dined with me and parted neare 5. Sir Richard Aston, Chetwind came to see us; after them Bellot, Gleg, 2 Lees, Warburton, Delves, William Mainwaring &c. all parted about 7. Broster came today from the audit of Denbeigh 13. Satorday, I sent to take leave of some of the Judges about 11; then to the Penthouse; then to walk the parket. then agen to the Penthouse; then home (about 2). Sir William Williams, his sonne, Lee of Darnhall, Streete, Mainwarings, Lloyd, Williamson, Cratchley,, Cumberbach, Hand, Johnson, William Murray dined with meingroy? and the al: Book came in after diner; all parted past 4. Crosse came, sealed Aricles for the Shotwick bringing Murray with him. Bellot came about Bechin then Attorney Minshall then Charles Griffith.
October 14. Sonday, went to church in the morning; the Aldermen, Sheriffs, Leavelookers with me; Sir William Williams, his son, the Aldermen (& 2 of theire wifes) with us; past 6 I went to visit Mrs Mainwaring; came back past 7, supt; Mainwaring with us; after supper came G.Mainwaring & Johnson, parted before 10. Broster went to Dyssert.
15. Monday, went to an Assembly in the Penthouse before 12; retorned about 3; Sir William Williams, 2 Mainwarings, Williamson, Richard Minshall, Deane, Robinson, Comberbaach, William Mainwaring with us; before 5 I, Sir William Williams & Minshall went to the funerall of Mrs Batho, in our retorne Mainwaring & I alighted at Bostock; there came Dr Pennington & Harper, & 3 masons were with us; we left them before 8. I & Minshall went to the Ship; then came Parry, 2 Mainwarings & Bellot. I left them past 10. came home; Attorney Minshall was with me in the morning about 11.
16. Tuesday, Mainwaring went to Manchester; Houseman to Peele; old Jackson & Crosse was with me about Boswell's lease & the wheate money for Crosse's wife; the clarke & churchwarden for the Parson's quarterages &c. Frith & one of Excise officer about their concernes &c. Key dined with us; Wayne came with a Beanrne? from the Leavelookers & a porter with wine from London; past 4 Bridge came to get a woman the wheate money.
17. Wednesday, Mr Sherwood came (past 10) about taking a lease at Tatenhall. Alderman Hand & Cratchley dined with me; went before 3. Griffith came with 2 carts to goe to Shotwick & for coales. about 8 came Johnson, Adams & Deane; stayd till neare 10 18. Thursday, Houseman went to meete Grantham at Holt faire about selling my cattle; there came one Mrs Web (& another gentlewoman) about some differences betwixt her & Morgan Whitley; Key dined with us; Minshall & Johnson found us at diner; about 2 came Mr Gamell; they went past 3. Robert Done brought me a bill for 30 li. Burgesse brought 20 li. frrom Shotwick; Griffith brought coales; past 6 I went to the Feathers, there was Lloyd & Edwards; Deane came in with me; Basnet & Pugh & Minshall came to us; I left them past 8. I & Minshall walked to the Ship; there we found Taylor & Parry; Deane came to us. we had oysters; parted past 10.
19. Friday, Salisbury came to see me about the hallkeepers place; Crosse about the hospitall businesse, Mrs Web & the other gentlewoman came agen about Morgan Whitley; he & Huson came today from the Audit; Jerome came about the brawne; Pennington about the Court on Monday, Streete to shew me a letter from London; Griffith with coales 20 Satorday, a man came to me about the tithes of Brimstage; Griffith came before 10 with more coles; I went to the Penthouse about 12, retorned neare 2; Streete, Lloyd, Williamson, Bolland, Comberbach, Adans, & Key dined we parted about 4. Morgan Whitley & Huson came, stayd not long; Profit came from Dyssert; Burges from Shotwick Griffith & the butchers rawled up the brawne; Sheriffe Bolland came with a Proclamatcion & brought it back to the clarke of the Penthouse; Mr Johnson came for a woman to have wheatemoney. the new stewards of the Bakers, Jehico & Selsby came to me; had a bottle of wine &c. Huson went home.
22 Monday, Wright came with acccounts of proceedings at Manchester; Houseman want to Bromborer; I went to the Penthouse past 11; dicoursed with the Justices & Treasurers about providing lodgings for the Judges in the Castle; went to the Court in Common Hall; despatched; about 2 went home; Hunt, 3 Angells & sister, Lloyd, Edwards. Williamson, Hand, 2 Sheriffs, 2 Treasures, Hunt, Kirk dined with me; in the evening Mainwaring retorned from Manchester & Peover; his 4 sons 2 with him; past 6 I went to G.Mainwarings; there was Wiliam Mainwaring with him; Mainwaring came to us; about 7 we went to Ned Borones; there was Edwards, Lloyd, Streete, 2 Treasures, Bolland, Bosenet, Deane & 2 strangers; we parted past 9; called at the Ship; there was 3 Mainwarings, Streete, 2 Treasures, Antwistesle &c; we parted neare 11; Dr Angell, his cosens. Lady Bellot &c supt with daughters.
23 Tuesday, Colstone trimmed me (Cookson came to me about his greyhound interl); Treasurer Critchley came to me about one & Brereton; Minshall dined with me; about 4 I went to the Penthouse to advise & prepare the Judges; they came in about 8; we sent our present of wine before; J.Alecomen & Sheriffe wayted on them before 9; then I went home.
24 Wednesday, The 4 Judges, Justice Powys, Sheriffe, Sir William Aston, Gleg, Chatwood, Abersey................Hunt, Booth, G.Mainwaring.......& many more; I stayd not; went (with Mainwaring) to Jacksons; did...Ardren Smith........was with him &c then J & G.Mainwaring; went to take leave......;then to Jacksons agen; ther was M ainwaring, Lawton, Gleg, Lee, Streeet & some more; Baroby &c; parted; I went home before 10(180r October 1694[ October 25. Thursday, the Judges left the towne before 7. Mainwaring & his sister went about 10 towards Dedington. Sam Hussey came about a lease, also Smith & Huxley; Smith left 60 li. of his fine, sealed up with me Lightfoote came about leasing at Lach; John Mosse about his son's leasee, Cratchley Murray, Higgison & Leadbeater & Adams about Sir Thomas Stanley's lease debt money; Key dined with us. Charlotte was let blood after diner & agen at night. came Hand to take my bond for Rogers debt to Edisbery. 2 Angells to take leave of me, also Thomas Lea & cosen Whitley to see us. I went at 7 to take leave of Angels cosens, they were abRood; after supper Johnson & Gill & G.Mainwaring came, went past 9.
26. Friday, Treasurer Cratchley came about Sir Thomas Stanley's businesse; & G.Mainwaring to get releife for 5 poore seamen, Johnson & Bret came about old Mr Bret's place &c. sister Whitley & Lloyd dined with us. about 2 came the Captaine & Lieutenant of the Invalids; stayd an hower; then Slater & a widow with a complainte against Porter; about 4 Higgison came to me about Sir Thomas Stanley's businesse; I went with him to the Coffee House; there was Johnson, Kinaston, Pemberton, Minshall, Murray, Deane, Pugh, Wright &c. the 5 last & I went to the Ship for an houer; then I went to Angells took leave of his cosens; retorned home by 7 &c, Houseman went in the morning to Wrexam &c. came back at night.
27. Satorday, I went to the Penthouse past 11. retorned before 2. Streete, Lloyd, Edwards, G.Mainwaring, Williamson, Adams, Key, Sidney dined with us; all went about 4. onely Streete & G.Mainwaring stayd with us; then came Johnson & Mrs Bret (about hallkeepers place) she went presently, the rest soone after; Flint retorned from Dedington. Jordan was with me but stayd not.
28. Sonday, I was not at church. Bret dined with me, after supper came Johnson & G.Mainwaring, parted about 10, Houseman went to Tarvyn, retorned at night 29. Monday, Gray was with me, I spoke to him of his (& citty's interl) concernes & about going with Houseman to Shotwick; Norbery came to speake with Mainwaring; Adams about Penthouse business; I sent Houseman to Johnson with 30 li. to defray the charge of the late election; past 3 I & Mainwaring went to view the cisterne in Northgate Streete about making it the flesh market. G.Mainwaring, Williamson & Johnson came to us; then we went to the Ship; past 5 to the Penthouse to a comitte about the new Hall; about 7 I went to the ship 2 Mainwarings, 2 Sheriffs, Hand, Allen, Dutton &c. I went home about 9.
30. Tuesday, Houseman went about 7 to Shotwick, Gray &c. with him; Bromley trimmd me. Adams was with me. then Swordbearer; Morgan & G.Mainwaring dined with me; pat 2 came Norbery, all went past 3. Broster came from Dyssert about 6. about 7 came Kinaston, Deane; then 2 Mainwarings; they supt & parted past 10.
31. Wednesday, Mainwaring, his son's &c. went towards Peover about 9. Crosse & Woods were with me about the hospitall businesse; I sent the Macebearer to aquainte Alderman Ince that I intended to send tomorrow to survey the lands he holds which belong to the Mayor; about 5 the Collector of the Customs came stayd not long (2 musitians were with me about the last payment interl); then I went to visit Lady Bellot; then sister Whitley, retorned home before 8. in the afternoone I agreed with Richard Holland for a lease at Lach; John Holland & 2 Lightfoots were with him.