A Survey of London. Reprinted From the Text of 1603. Originally published by Clarendon, Oxford, 1908.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Faringdon Ward. Infra or within
On the south side of Aldersgate warde lyeth Faringdon ward, called infra or within, for a difference from an other ward of that name, which lyeth without the wals of the citie, and is therfore called Farindon extra. These two wardes of old time were but one, and had also but one Alderman, til the 17. of Richard the 2, at which time the said ward for the greatnes therof, was diuided into twain, & by Parliament ordered to haue 2. Aldermen, & so it continueth til this day. The whole great ward of Farindon, both infra and extra, tooke name of W. Farendon, Goldsmith, Alderman of that ward, and one of the shiriffes of London: in the yeare 1281. the 9. of Ed. the first, he purchased the Aldermanry of this ward, as by the abstract of deedes which I haue read thereof may appeare.
Sir Raph Arderne knight, Alderman of that ward now called Farindon, in the raign of H. the third. Anketinus de Auerne, Alderman. Ralph le Feure, Alderman.; Iohn le Feure, Alderman. W. Faringdon, Alderman and one of the shiriffes of London.; Nicholas Farendon, Alderman & mayor.; Nicholas Farendon liued 53 years after he had been once Mayor.
Thomas de Arde<r>ne, sonne and heyre to Sir Ralph Arderne knight, granted to Ralph le Feure Cittizen of London, one of the shiriffes in the yeare 1277. all the Aldermanry with the appurtenances within the Cittie of London, and the suburbs of the same between Ludgate and Newgate, and also without the same gates: which Aldermanry, Anketinus de Auerne held during his life, by the graunt of the said Thomas de Arderna, to haue and to hold to the said Ralph and to his heyres, freely without all chalenge, yeelding therefore yearly to the said Thomas and his heyres, one cloue or slip of Gilliflowers, at the feast of Easter, for all secular seruice and customes, with warranty vnto the said Ralph le Feure, and his heyres, against all people Christians and Jewes, in consideration of twenty marks, which the said Ralph le Feure did giue before hand, in name of a Gersum or fine, to the said Thomas, &c. dated the fift of Edward the first, witnes G. de Rokesley maior, R. Arras one of the shiriffes, H. Wales, P. le Taylor, T. de Basing, I. Horne, N. Blackthorn, Aldermen of London. After this Iohn le Feure, son and heire to the saide Raph le Feure, granted to William Farendon, Cittizen and Goldsmith of London, & to his heires the said Aldermanry, with the appurtenances for the seruice thervnto belonging, in the seuenth of Edward the first, in the yeare of Christ, 1279. This Aldermanry descended to Nicholas Farendon son to the said William and to his heyres, which Nicholas Farendon, also a Goldsmith, was soure times Mayor, & liued many yeares after: for I haue read diuers deedes wherevnto he was a witnes dated the yeare 1360. He made his Testament, 1361. which was 53. yeares after his first being Mayor, and was buried in S. Peters church in Cheape. So this ward continued vnder the gouernment of William Faringdon the father, and Nicholas his son, by the space of 82. yeares, and retaineth their name vntil this present day.
This ward of Faringdon within the walles, is bounded thus: Beginning in the East, at the great Crosse in west Cheape, from whence it runneth West. On the north side from the parish church of S. Peter, which is at the Southwest corner of Wood street, vnto Guthuruns lane, and down that lane, to Hugon lane on the East side, and to Kery lane on the west.
Then again into Cheape, and to Foster lane, and down that Lane on the east side, to the north side of saint Fausters church, and on the West, till ouer against the Southwest corner of the saide Church, from whence downe Fauster lane, and Noble street, is all of Aldersgate streete ward, till yee come to the stone wall, in the West side of Noble streete, as is afore shewed. Which sayde Wall downe to Neuils Inne, or Windsor house, and downe Monkes well streete, on that west side, then by London wall to Criplegate, and the west side of that same gate, is all of Faringdon Ward.
Then backe againe into Cheape, and from Fauster Lane end, to S. Martins lane end, and from thence through saint Nicholas shambles, by Penticost Lane, and Butchers alley, and by stinking lane through Newgate market to Newgate. All which is the North side of Faringdon warde.
On the south from against the saide great Crosse in Cheape West to Fridayes streete, and downe that streete on the East side, till ouer against the North East corner of saint Mathewes Church: and on the west side, till the south corner of the saide Church.
Then againe along Cheape to the old Exchange, and downe that lane (on the East side) to the parrish church of Saint Augustine, which church and one house next adioyning in Watheling streete bee of this warde, and on the west side of this lane, to the east arch or gate by saint Augustines church, which entereth the south churchyeard of saint Paules, which arch or gate was builded by Nicholas Faringdon about the yere 1361. & within that gate on the said north side, to the gate that entereth the North churchyeard, and all the North Churchyearde, is of this Faringdon Warde.
Then againe into Cheape, and from the North end of the olde Exchaunge, West by the North gate of Powles churchyearde, vp Pater Noster Row, by the two lanes out of Powles church, and to a signe of the Goldyng Lyon, which is some twelue houses short of Aue Mary lane: the west side of which Lane is of this Warde.
Now betwixt the south ende of Aue Mary Lane, and the north end of Creede lane, is the comming out of Paules churchyard on the East, and the high streete called Bowier row to Ludgate, on the west, which way to Ludgate is of this ward. On the North side whereof is saint Martins Church. And on the South side a turning into the Blacke Friers.
Now to turne vp againe to the North ende of Aue Mary lane, there is a short lane which runneth West some small distaunce, and is there closed vp with a gate into a great house: and this is called Amen lane.
Then on the north side of Pater noster Row, beginning at the Conduit ouer against the olde Exchaunge Lane ende, and going west by saint Michaels Church. At the west end of which Church is a small passage through towardes the North. And beyond this Church some small distance, is another passage, which is called Paniar Alley, and commeth out against Saint Martins lane ende.
Then further west in Pater Noster Row, is Iuie lane, which runneth North to the West end of Saint Nicholas Shambles. And then west Pater noster Rowe, till ouer against the golden Lion, where the ward endeth for that streete.
Then about some dozen houses (which is of Bainards Castell Warde) to Warwicke lane end: which Warwicke Lane stretcheth north to the high street of Newgate Market. And the west side of Warwicke lane is of this Faringdon ward. For the East side of Warwicke lane, of Aue Marie lane, and of Creede lane, with the West end of Pater Noster Row, are all of Baynardes Castell warde.
Yet to begin againe at the saide Conduit by the old Exchange, on the North side thereof is a large street that runneth vp to Newgate, as is aforesaid. The first part or south side whereof, from the Conduit to the Shambles, is called Bladder street. Then on the backeside of the shambles be diuers slaughter houses and such like, pertaining to the shambles, & this is called Mount Godard street. Then is the Shambles it selfe. And then Newgate Market. And so the whole street on both sides vp to Newgate, is of this warde, and thus it is wholly bounded.
Monuments in this warde be these. First the great Crosse in West Cheape streete, but in the warde of Faringdon, the which Crosse was first erected in that place by Edward the first, as before is shewed in west Cheape streate.
At the Southwest corner of Woodstreet, is the parish church of S. Peter the Apostle, by the said Crosse, a proper Church lately new builded. Iohn Sha, Goldsmith, Maior, deceased 1503. appointed by his Testament, the said church and steeple to be newly builded of his goods, with a flat roofe. Notwithstanding Tho. Wood, Goldsmith, one of the Shiriffes, 1491. is accounted principall benefactor: because the roofe of the midle Ile is supported by Images of Woodmen. I find to haue beene buried in this Church, Nicholas Farendon, Maior, Richard Hadley, Grocer, 1592. Iohn Palmer, fishmonger, 1500. William Rus, Goldsmith, Shiriffe 1429. T. Atkins, Esquire, 1400. Iohn Butler, Shiriffe, 1420. Henrie Warley, Alderman, 1524. Sir Iohn Monday, Goldsmith, Maior, deceased 1537. Augustine Hinde Clothworker, one of the Shiriffes in the yeare 1550 (whose monument doth yet remaine, the others be gone) sir Alexander Auenon, Maior, 1570.
The long shoppe or shed incroching on the high street before this Church wall, was licenced to be made in the yeare 1401, yeelding to the Chamber of London 30. shillings foure pence yearely for the time, but since 13 shillings foure pence. Also the same shop was letten by the Parish for three pound at the most many yeres since.
Then is Guthuruns lane, so called of Guthurun somtime owner thereof: the inhabitants of this lane of old time were Goldbeaters, as doth appeare by records in the Exchequer. For the Easterling money was appoynted to be made of fine siluer, such as men made into foyle, and was commonly called siluer, of Guthuruns lane, &c. The Imbroderers hall is in this lane. Iohn Throwstone Embroderer, then Goldsmith, shiriffe, deceased 1519. gaue 40. pound towards the purchase of this hall. Hugon lane on the East side, and Kery lane (called of one Kery) on the West.
Then in the high streete on the same north side is the Sadlers hall. And then Fauster lane (so called of Saint Fausters, a fayre Church, lately new builded). Henrie Coote, Goldsmith, one of the Shiriffes, deceased 1509. builded saint Dunstons chappell there, Iohn Throwstone one of the shiriffes, gaue to the building thereof one hundred pound by his Testament. Iohn Browne Sergeant Painter, Alderman, deceased 1532. was a great benefactor, and was there buried. William Trist, Selerar to the king, 1425. Iohn Standelfe Goldsmiths, lie buried there. Richard Galder, 1544. Agnes wife to William Milborne Chamberlane of London, 1500. &c.
Then downe Fauster lane, and Noble streete both of Ealdersgate street ward, till ye come to the stone wall which incloseth a Garden plot before the wal of the City, on the west side of Noble streete, and is of this Faringdon ward. This Garden plot contayning 95. Elles in length, 9. Elles and a halfe in bredth, was by Adam de Burie, Maior, the Aldermen, and Citizens of London letten to Iohn de Neuell, Lord of Raby, Radulph and Thomas his sonnes for 60. yeares, paying 6. s. 8. d. the yeare: Dated the 48. of Edward the third, hauing in a seale pendant, on the one side, the figure of a walled Cittie, and of S. Paul, a sword in his right hand, and in the left a banner, 3. Leopards, about that Seale, on the same side written, Sigillum Baronum Londoniarum. On the other side the like figure of a Citie, a Bishop sitting on an Arch, the inscription, Me: que: te: peperi: ne: Cesses: Thoma: tueri: Thus much for the Barons of London, their common seale at that time. At the north end of this garden plot, is one great house builded of stone and timber, now called the Lord Windsors house, of old time belonging to the Neuels, as in the 19. of Richard the 2. it was found by inquisition of a Iurie, that Elizabeth Neuel died, seased of a great Messuage in the Parish of saint Olaue in Monks well street in London, holden of the king in free burgage, which she held of the gift of Iohn Neuell of Raby, her husband, and that Iohn Latimer was next sonne and heyre to the said Elizabeth. In this west side is the Barbars Chirurgions hall. This companie was incorporated by meanes of Thomas Morestede Esquire, one of the shiriffes of London, 1436. Chirurgion to the Kinges of England, Henrie the 4. 5. and 6. He deceased 1450. Then Iaques Fries Phisition to Edward the 4. and William Hobbs Phisition and Chirurgion for the same kings bodie, continuing the sute the full time of 20 yeares. Ed. the 4. in the 2. of his raigne, and Richard duke of Glocester became founders of the same corporation in the name (fn. 1) of S. Cosme and Damiane. The first Assemb <ly> of that craft, was Roger Strippe, W. Hobbs, T. Goddard, & Richard Kent, since the which time they builded their hall in that street, &c.
At the north corner of this streete, on the same side, was some time an Hermitage, or Chappell of saint Iames, called in the wal, neare Crepplegate: it belonged to the Abbey and Couent of Garadon, as appeareth by a Recorde, the 27. of Edward the first: And also the 16. of Edward the third, William de Lions was Hermet there, and the Abbot and Couen<t> of Geredon found two Chaplaines, Cestercian Monks of their house: in this Hermitage one of them, for Aymor de Valence Earle of Pembrooke, and Mary de Saint Paule, his Countesse.
Of these Monkes, and of a Well pertaining to them, the street tooke that name, and is called Monks-well streete. This Hermitage with the appurtenances, was in the raign of Edward the sixt purchased from the said king, by William Lambe one of the Gentlemen of the kinges Chappell, Citizen and clothworker of London: he deceased in the yeare 1577. and then gaue it to the Cloathworkers of London, with other tenements, to the value of fiftie pound the yeare, to the intent they shall hire a Minister to say diuine seruice there, &c.
Againe to the high streete of Cheape, from Fauster lane ende to S. Martins, and by that lane to the shambles of flesh market, on the North side whereof is Penticost lane, containing diuerse slaughter houses for the Butchers.
Then was there of old time a proper parish church of saint Nicholas, wherof the said flesh market tooke the name, & was called S. Nicholas shambles. This Church with the tenements and ornaments, was by Henrie the eight giuen to the Maior and communaltie of the Citie, towards the maintenance of the new parish Church, then to be erected in the late dissolued church of the Gray Friers: so was this church dissolued and pulled downe. In place wherof, & of the churchyard, many fayre houses are now builded in a Court with a Wel, in the middest whereof the church stoode.
The first of this order of Friers in England, nine in number, arriued at Douer: fiue of them remained at Canterburie, the other 4. came to London, were lodged at the preaching Friers in Oldborne, for the space of 15 dayes, and then they hyred an house in Cornhill of Iohn Trauars, one of the shiriffes of London. They builded there litle cels wherein they inhabited, but shortly after the deuotion of citizens towardes them, and the number of the Fryers so increased, that they were by the Citizens remoued to a place in S. Nicholas shambles: which Iohn Ewin Mercer appropriated vnto the Comminaltie, to the vse of the said Friers, and himselfe became a lay brother amongst them: about the yeare 1225. William Ioyner builded their Quire, Henry Walles the body of the church, Walter Potter Alderman the Chapter house, Gregorie Rokesley their Dorter, Bartholomew of the Castle made the refectorie, Peter de Heliland made the infirmitorie, Beuis Bond king of Heraulds made the studie, &c.
Margaret Queene, second wife to Edward the first, began the quire of their new church, in the yere 1306. to the building whereof, in her life time she gaue 2,000. markes, and 100. marks by her testament. Iohn Britaine, Earle of Richmond, builded the bodie of the church to the charges of three hundred pound, and gaue many rich Iewels and Ornaments to be vsed in the same. Marie Countesse of Pembroke, seuentie pound. Gilbert de Clare, Earle of Glocester, bestowed 20. great beams out of his forrest of Tunbridge, and 20. pound starlings, Lady Helianor le Spencer, Lady Elizabeth de Burgh, sister to Gilbert de Clare, gaue sums of money, and so did diuers Citizens, as Arnald de Tolinea, 100. pounde, Robert Baron Lisle, who became a fryer there, 300. pound, Bartholomew de Almaine fiftie pound. Also Philippe Queene, wife to Edward the third, gave 62. pound. Isabell Queene, mother to Edwarde the thirde, gaue threescore and ten pound. And so the worke was done within the space of 21. yeares, 1337. This Church thus furnished with windowes made at the charges of diuerse persons, the Ladie Margaret Segraue, Countesse of Norffolke bare the charges of making the stalles in the Quire, to the value of three hundred and fiftie markes, about the yeare 1380. Richard Whittington in the yeare 1429. founded the Librarie, which was in length, one hundred twentie nine foote, and in breadth thirtie one: all seeled with Wainscot, hauing twentie eight desks, and eight double setles of Wainscot. Which in the next yeare following was altogither finished in building, and within three yeares after, furnished with Bookes, to the charges of fiue hundred fiftie sixe pound, ten shillings, whereof Richard Whittington bare foure hundred pound, the rest was borne by Doctor Thomas Winchelsey, a Frier there: and for the writing out of D. Nicholas de Lira his works in two volumes, to be chained there, one hundred markes, &c. The seeling of the Quire at diuers mens charges, two hundred marks, and the painting at fiftie markes: their Conduit head and water course giuen them by William Tailer, Tayler to Henrie the third, &c.
This whole church containeth in length three hundred foote, of the feete of S. Paule: in breadth, eightie nine foot, and in height from the ground to the roofe, 64. foote, and two inches, &c. It was consecrated 1325. and at the generall suppression, was valued at thirtie two pound, ninteene shillings, surrendred the twelfth of Nouember, 1538. the 30. of Henrie the eight, the ornaments and goods being taken to the kings vse: the church was shut vp for a time, and vsed as a Store house of goods, taken prises from the French: but in the yeare 1546. on the third of Januarie, was againe set open. On the which day preached at Pauls crosse the Bishop of Rochester, where he declared the kings gift thereof to the citie, for the releeuing of the poore.
Which gift was by Pattents (fn. 2) <of> S. Bartholomewes Spittle in Smithfield, lately valued at three hundred fiue pound sixe shillings seuen pence, and surrendred to the king: of the sayd church of the Gray Friers, and of two parish churches, the one of Saint Nicholas in the Shambles, and the other of S.Ewines in Newgate market, which were to be made one Parrish church in the sayd Fryers church, & in lands he gaue for maintenance for the said church, with diuine seruice, reparations, &c. 500. markes by yere for euer.
The thirteenth of January, the 38. of Henry the eight, an agreement was made betwixt the King and the Mayor and communalty of London: dated the 27. of December: by which the said gift of the gray Fryers church, with al the Edifices & ground, the Fratrie, the Library, the Dortar, & Chapter-house, the great Cloystry and the lesser: tenements, gardens, and vacant grounds, Lead, Stone, Iron, &c., the Hospitall of S. Bartholomew in west smithfield, the church of the same, the lead, belles, & ornaments of the same Hospital, with al the Messuages, tenements, & appurtenances, the parishes of S. Nicholas, and of S. Ewin, and so much of S. Pulchers parish as is within Newgate, were made one Parish church in the Gray Fryers church, and called Christes church founded by Henry the 8.
The Vickar of Christs church was to haue 26. pound, 13. s. 4. d. the yeare. The Vicar of S. Bartholomew 13. pound 6. s. 8. d. The Visiter of Newgate (being a Priest) ten pound. And other 5. Priests in Christs church, all to be helping in diuine seruice, ministring the Sacraments, and Sacramentals, the 5. Priests to haue 8 pound the peece. Two Clarkes, 6. pound each. A Sexton 4. pound. Moreouer, he gaue them the Hospitall of Bethelem: with the lauer of Brasse in the cloyster, by esteemation 18. foote in length, and two foote and a halfe in depth, and the water course of lead to the sayd Fryer house belonging, contayning by esteemation in length 18. Acres.
In the yeare 1552. began the reparing of the Gray Fryers house, for the poore fatherlesse children. And in the month of Nouember, the children were taken into the same to the number of almost foure hundreth. On Christmas day in the afternoone, while the Lord Mayor and Aldermen rode to Powles, and children of Christs Hospitall stood, from saint Lawrence lane end in Cheape, towards Powles, all in one liuery of russet cotten, 340. in number. And at Easter next, they were in blew at the spittle, and so haue continued euer since.
The defaced Monuments in this church were these. First in the Quire, of the Lady Margaret, daughter to Phillip King of France, and wife to Edward the first, foundresse of this new church, 1317. Of Isabel Queene, wife to Edward the second, daughter to Phillip King of France, 1358. Iohan of the Tower, Queene of Scots, wife to Dauid Bruse, daughter to Edward the second, dyed in Hartford Castle, and was buried by Isabel her mother, 1362. William Fitzwaren, Baron, and Isabelhis wife, sometime queene of Man. Isabel daughter to Edward the third, wedded to the Lord Coucy (fn. 3) of France, after created Earle of Bedford. Elianor wife to John Duke of Britaine. Beatrix Dutchesse of Britaine, daughter to Henry the third. Sir Robert Lisle Baron, the Lady Lisle, and Margaret de Riuers, Countesse of Deuon, all vnder one stone. Roger Mortimer Earle of March, beheaded 1329. Patar Bishop of Carbon in Hungary, 1331. Gregory Rocksley Mayor, 1282. Sir Iohn Deuerux knight. 1385. Iohn Hastings, Earle of Pembrooke, 1389. Margaret daughter to Thomas Brotharton, Earle Marshall, she was Dutchesse of Norfolke, and Countesse Marshall and Lady Segraue, 1389. Richard Hauering knight, 1388. Robert Trisilian knight, <Chief> Iustice, 1388. Geffrey Lucy, sonne to Geffrey Lucy. Iohn Aubry, sonne to Iohn Mayor of Norwich, 1368. Iohn Philpot knight, Mayor of London, and the Lady Iane Samford his wife, 1384. Iohn Duke of Burbon and Angue, Earle of Claremond, Mounpouncier, and Baron Beaugeu, who was taken prisoner at Agencourt, kept prisoner 18 yeares, & deceased 1433. Robert Chalons knight, 1439. Iohn Chalons. Margaret daughter to sir Iohn Philpot, first maried to T. Santlor Esquire, and after to Iohn Neyband Esquier. Sir Nicholas Brembar Mayor of London, buried 1386. Elizabeth Neuel wife to Iohn, sonne and heyre to Raph Earle of Westmerland, and mother to Raph Earle of Westmerland, and daughter to Thomas Holland Earle of Kent, 1423. Edward Burnell sonne to the Lord Burnel. In Alhallowes chappell. Iames Fines Lord Say. 1450. and Helenor his wife 1452. Iohn Smith Bishop of Landafe, 1478. Iohn Baron Hilton: Iohn Baron Clinton. Richard Hastings knight, Lord of Willowby and Welles, Thomas Burdet Esquier beheaded, 1477. Robert Lile sonne and heyre to the Lord Lisle. In our Lady chappel, Iohn Gisors of London knight. Humfrey Stafford Esquier, of Worstershire 1486. Robert Bartram Baron of Bothell. Raph Barons, knight. William Apleton knight. Reynold de Cambrey knight. Thomas Bewmond, sonne and heyre to Henry Lord Bewmond. Iohn Butler knight. Adam de Howton knight, 1417. Bartholomew Caster knight, of London. Reinfride Arundele knight, 1460. Thomas Couil Esquier, 1422. In the Postles chappell, Walter Blunt knight of the Garter, and Lord Mountioy, Treasurer of Normandy, 1474. E. Blunt Lord Mountioy, 1475. Alice Blunt, <Lady>Mountioy, sometime wife to Wil. Brown Mayor of London and daughter to H. Kebel Maior 1521. Anne Blunt daughter to I. Blunt knight, L. Mountioy, 1480. Sir Allen Cheinie knight, and sir T. Greene knight. William Blunt Esquier, sonne and heyre to Walter Blunt Captayne of Gwynes 1492. Elizabeth Blunt wife to Robert Curson knight, 1494. Bartholomew Burwashe, and Iohn Burwashe his sonne. Iohn Blunt Lord Mountioy, Captayne of Gwins and Hams 1485. Iohn Dinham Baron, sometime Treasurer of England, knight of the Garter 1501. Elianor Dutchesse of Buckingham 1530. Iohn Blunt knight 1531. Rowl. Blunt Esquier, 1509. Robert Bradbury 1489. Nicholas Clifton knight. Francis Chape. Two sonnes of Allayne Lord Cheiney, and Iohn sonne and heyre to the same. Lord Allaine Cheiney knight. Iohn Robsart knight of the Garter 1450. Alleyne Cheinie knight. Thomas Malory knight, 1470. Thomas Yong a Iustice of the Bench, 1476. Iohn Baldwin fellowe of Grayes Inne, and common Sergeant of London, 1469. Walter Wrotsley knight, of Warwickshire, 1473. Steuen Ienins Mayor 1523. Thomas a Par, and Iohn Wiltwater, slaine at Barnet, 1471. Nicholas Poynes Esquier, 1512. Robert Elkentou knight, 1460. Iohn Water (alias yorke) Herault 1520. Iohn More (alias Nory) King of Armes 1491. George Hopton knight, 1489. Between the quire and the Altar, Raph Spiganel knight, Iohn Moyle Gent. of Grayes Inne, 1495. William Huddy knight, 1501. Io. Cobham a Baron of Kent,Io. Mortain, Knight, Io. Deyncort knight, Io. Norbery Esquier, high Treasurer of England, Hen. Norbery his sonne Esquier, Io. Southlee Knight, Tho. Sakuile, Tho. Lucy knight, 1525. Robert de la Riuar, sonne to Mauricius de la Riuar Lord of Tormerton, 1457. Io. Malmaynas Esquier, and Tho. Malmaynas knight, Hugh ActonTaylor, 1530. Nicholas Malmains, Hugh Parsal knight 1490. Alexander Kirketon knight,&c. In the body of the church, William Paulet Esquier of Summersetshire 1482. Iohn Moyle Gent. 1530. Peter Champion Esquier 1511. Io. Hart gentleman, 1449. Alice La. Hungerford, hanged at Tiborne for murdering her husband, 1523. Edward Hall gent. of Grayes Inne, 1470. Ri. Churchyard gent. fellow of Grayes Inne, 1498. Iohn Bramre gent. of Grayes Inne 1498. Io. Mortimar knight, beheaded 1423. Henry Frowike Alderman. Renauld Frowike, Philip Pats, 1518. Wil. Porter Sergeant at armes 1515. Tho. Grantham Gentleman, 1511. Edmond Rotheley gentleman, 1470. Henry Roston gentleman, of Grayes Inne, 1485. Nicholas Mongomery gentleman, sonne to Io. Mongomery of Northhamptonshire, 1485. Sir Bartho. Emfield knight, sir Barnard S. Peter knight, sir Raph Sandwich knight, Custos of London: sir Andrew Sakeuile knight, Iohn Treszawall gentleman and Taylor of London, 1520. All these and fiue times so many more haue bin buried there, whose Monuments are wholly defaced: for there were 9. Tombes of Alablaster and Marble, inuironed with strikes of Iron in the Quire, and one Tombe in the body of the Church, also coped with iron, all pulled downe, besides seuen-score graue stones of Marble, all sold for 50. pounds, or thereaboutes, by sir Martin Bowes, Goldsmith and Alderman of London. Of late time buried there, Walter Hadden, Doctor, &c. From this Church West to Newgate, is of this Warde.
Now for the South side of this warde, beginning againe at the crosse in Cheape, from thence to Fryday streete, and downe that streete, on the West side, till ouer against the Northwest corner of saint Matthewes Church. And on the West side, to the South corner of the sayd Church, which is wholly in the Warde of Faringdon. This church hath these few Monuments. Thomas Pole Goldsmith, 1395. Robert Iohnson Goldsmith, Alderman. Iohn Twiselton Goldsmith, Alderman, 1525. Raph Allen Grocer, one of the Shiriffes, deceased 1546. Anthony Gamage Ironmonger, one of the Shiriffes, deceased 1579. Anthony Cage.Iohn Mabbe Chamberlaine of London, &c. Allen at Condit and Thomas Warlingworth founded a chauntrie there. Sir Nicholas Twiford Goldsmith, Mayor, gaue to that church an house with the appurtenances, called the Griffon on the hope, in the same streete.
From this Fryday street, west to the old Exchange, a streete so called of the Kings Exchange there kept, which was for the receit of Bullion, to be coyned. ForHenry the 3. in the 6. yeare of his raigne, wrote to the Scabines and men of Ipre, that he and his counsell had giuen prohibition, that none, Englishmen or other, should make chaunge of plate or other masse of siluer, but onely in his exchaunge at London, or at Canterbury. Andrew Bukerell then had to Farme the Exchaunge of England, and was Mayor of London in the raigne of Henry the third. Iohn Somercote had the keeping of the Kings Exchaunge ouer all England. In the eight of Edward the first, Gregory Rockesly was keeper of the sayd Exchaunge for the King. In the first of Ed. the second William Hausted was keeper thereof. And in the 18. Roger de Frowicke, &c.
This street beginneth by west Cheape in the North, and runneth downe South to Knight-Riderstreet, that part thereof which is called Old Fishstreet: but the very housing and Office of the Exchaunge and Coynage, was about the midst thereof, South from the East gate that entreth Powles churchyard, and on the west side in Baynards Castle Warde.
On the East side of this lane, betwixt West cheape, and the church of S. Augustine, Henry Walles, Mayor (by license of Ed. the first) builded one row of houses, the profits rising of them to bee imployed on London Bridge.
The parish church of S. Augustine, and one house next adioyning in Watheling street, is of this Warde called Faringdon. This is a fayre church, and lately well repaired, wherein be monuments remaining of H. Reade Armorer, one of ye Sheriffes, 1450, Robert Bellesdon haberdasher, Mayor, 1491. Sir —Townley, William Dere one of the Shiriffes, 1450. Robert Rauen haberdasher 1500. Thomas Apleyard Gentle man, 1515. William Moncaster Merchant Taylor, 1524. William Holte Merchant Taylor, 1544 &c.
Aedelbertus Rex, Deo inspirante, pro animce sumæce remedio, dedit episcopo melito terram quae appellatur Tillingeham ad monasterii sui solatium scilicet (fn. 4), S. Pauli: et ego Rex Aethelbertus ita firmiter concedo tibi presuli melito potestatem eius habendi & possidendi vt in perpetuum in monasterii vtilitate permaneat, &c. Athelstan, Edgare, Ed. the Confessor, and others also gaue lands therevnto. Wil. Conqueror gaue to the church of S. Paule and to Mauricius then Bishop, and his successors, the Castle of Stortford, with the appurtenances, &c. He also confirmed the gifts of his predecessors, in these words: Rex. Angl. Clamo quietas in perpetuum, 24.Hidas quas Rex Aethelbert dedit S. Paulo iuxta murum London. &c. The Charter of King. Wil. the Conqueror, exemplified in the Tower, englished thus.
William by the grace of God, King of Englishmen, to all his welbeloued French and English people, greeting. Know ye, that I do giue vnto God & the church of S. Paule of London, & to the rectors & seruitors of the same, in all their lands which the church hath, or shall haue, within borough & without, sack and sock, Thole & The <m>, Infangthefe & Grithbriche, & all freeships by sea, & by land, on tide, and off tide, and all the rights that into them christendome byrad & more speake, & on buright hamed, & on buright worke, afore all the Bishopricks in mine land: and on each other mans land. For I will that the church in all things be as free as I would my soule to be in the day of indgement: witnesses Osmound our Chancellor, Lanfrank the Archbishop of Canterbury, & T. Archbishop of York, Roger Earle of Shrewesbury, Alane the county, Geffrey de Magna villa, and Raph Peuerel.
In the yeare 1087. this church of S. Paule was brent with fire, & therewith the most part of the citie: which fire began at the entry of the west gate, and consumed the east gate. Mauricius then Bishop, began there fore the foundation of a new church of saintPaule, a work that men of that time iudged, would neuer haue bin finished, it was to them so wonderfull for length & breadth, & also the same was builded vpon arches (or vaults) of stone, for defence of fier, which was a maner of worke before that time vnknowne to the people of this nation, and then brought in by the French: & the stone was fetcht from Cane in Normandy.
This Mauricius deceased in the yeare 1107.Richard Beamor (fn. 5) succeeded him in the Bishopricke, who did wonderfully increase the said church, purchasing of his owne cost the large streetes and lanes about it, wherin were wont to dwel many lay people, which ground he began to compasse about, with a strong wall of stone, & gates. King H. the first gaue to the said Richard, so much of the Mote (or wall) of the castle, on the Thames side to the South, as should be needfull to make the said wall of the church, & so much as should suffise to make a wal without the way on the north side, &c.
It should seeme that this Richard inclosed but two sides of the said church or Cemitory of S.Paule, to wit, the South and North side: for KingEdward the second, in the tenth of his raigne, granted that the said churchyard should be inclosed with a wall where it wanted, for the murthers and robberies that were there committed. But the cittizens then claimed the East part of the church yarde to be the place of assembly to their folkemotes, and that the great steeple there scituate was to that vse, their common bell, which being there rung, al the inhabitants of the citie might heare and come together. They also claimed the west side, that they might there assemble themselues together, with the Lord of Baynards Castle, for view of their armour in defence of the cittie. This matter was in the Tower of London referred to Haruius de Stanton, and his fellow Iustices Itenerantes, but I finde not the decision or judgement of that controuersie.
True it is, that Edward the third, in the seuenteene of his raigne, gaue commandement for the finishing of that wall, which was then performed, and to this day it continueth; although now on both the sides (to wit, within and without) it be hidden with dwelling houses. Richard Beamer deceased in the yeare 1127. and his successors in processe of time performed the worke begun.
The steeple of this church was builded and finished in the yeare 1222: the Crosse on the said steeple fell downe, and a new was set vp in the yeare 1314. The new worke of Powls (so called) at the East end aboue the Quire, was begun in the yeare 1251.
Henry Lacy Earle of Lincolne, Constable of Chester, and Custos of England, in his time was a great benefactor to this work and was there buried, in the yeare 1310. Also Raph Baldocke Bishop of London, in his life time gaue 200. markes to the building of the sayd new worke: and left much by his Testament towards the finishing thereof, he deceased in the yeare 1313. and was buried in the Lady Chappell. Also the new worke of Powls, to wit, the crosse Iles, were begun to be new builded in the yeare 1256.
The first of February, in the yere 1444. about two of the clock in the afternoone, the steeple of Powles was fiered by lightning, in the midst of the shaft or spire, both on the West side, and on the South, but by labour of many well disposed people the same to appearance quenched with Vinegar, so that all men withdrew themselues to their houses praysing God: but betweene eight and nine of the clocke in the same night, the fire burst out againe, more feruently then before, and did much hurt to the Lead and Timber, till by the great labour of the Mayor and people that came thither, it was throughly quenched.
This steeple was repayred in the yeare 1462. and the Weather-Cocke agayne erected: Robert Godwin winding it vp, the rope brake, and hee was destroyed on the Pinacles, and the Cocke was sore brused. But Burchwood (the Kinges Plomer) set it vp againe: since the which time, needing reparation, it was both taken downe and set vp, in the yeare 1553. At which time it was found to be of copper, gilt ouer, & the length from the bill to the tail being 4. foot, & the breadth ouer the wings 3. foot and a halfe, it weighed 40. li. the crosse from the bole, to the Eagle (or cock) was fifteene foot, & 6. inches of asise: the length thereof ouerthwart, was 5. foote & 10. inches: and the compasse of the bole was 9. foot and 1. inch.
The inner bodie of this Crosse was Oake, the next couer was Lead, and the vttermost was of Copper, red vernished. The boale and Eagle or Cocke, were of Copper and gilt also. The height of the steeple was 520. foot, whereof the stoneworke is 260. foot, & the spire was likewise 260. foote: the length of the whole church is 240. taylers yardes, which make 720. foote: the breadth thereof, is 130. foote; and the height of the bodie of that Church, is 150. foote. This Church hath a Bishop, a Deane, a Precentor, Chancellor, Treasurer, and fiue Archdeacons: to wit, of London, Midlesex, Essex, Colchester, and S. Albons: it hath Prebendaries thirtie, Canons twelue, Vickars Corall six, &c.
The Colledge of Pettie Canons there was founded by king Richard the second, in honor of Queene Anne his wife, and of her progenitors, in the 17. of his raign. Their hall and lands was then giuen vnto them, as appeareth by the Pattent, maister Robert Dokesworth then being maister thereof. In the yeare 1408, the petty Canons then building their Colledge, the Maior and Comminaltie graunted them their water courses, and other easements.
There was also one great Cloyster on the north side of this church inuironing a plot of ground, of old time called Pardon church yard, wherof Thomas More, deane of Pauls, was either the first builder, or a most especiall benefactor, and was buried there. About this Cloyster, was artificially and richly painted the dance of Machabray, or dance of death, commonly called the dance of Pauls: the like whereof was painted about S. Innocents cloyster at Paris in France: the meters or poesie of this dance were translated out of French into English by Iohn Lidgate, Monke of Bury, the picture of death leading all estates, at the dispence of Ienken Carpenter, in the raigne of Henry the sixt. In this Cloyster were buryed many persons, some of worship, and others of honour: The Monuments of whome, in number and curious workemanship, passed all other that were in that Church.
Ouer the East Quadrant of this Cloyster, was a fayre Librarie, builded at the costes and charges of Waltar Sherington, Chancellor of the Duchie of Lancaster, in the raigne of Henrie the 6. which hath beene well furnished with faire written bookes in Vellem: but few of them now do remaine there. In the midst of this pardon churchyard, was also a faire Chappell, first founded by Gilbert Becket, Portgraue and principall magistrate of this Citie, in the raigne of king Stephen, who was there buried.
In the yeare 1549. on the tenth of April, the sayd Chappell, by commaundement of the Duke of Sommerset, was begun to bee pulled downe, with the whole Cloystrie, the daunce of Death, the Tombes and Monuments: so that nothing thereof was left but the bare plot of ground, which is since conuerted into a Garden, for the pettie Canons. There was also a Chappell at the North doore of Paules, founded by the same Waltar Sherrington, by licence of Henrie the sixt, for two, three, or foure chaplaines, indowed with fortie pound by the yeare. This Chappell also was pulled downe in the raigne of Edward the sixt, and in place thereof a fayre house builded.
There was furthermore, a fayre Chapple of the holy Ghost in Pauls church, on the north side: founded in the yeare 1400. by Roger Holmes, Chancellor and Prebendary of Paules, for Adam Berie Alderman, Maior of London 1364, Iohn Wingham and others, for seuen Chaplains, and called Holmes colledge. Their common hall was in Pauls churchyard on the south side, neare vnto a Carpenters yard. This colledge was with others suppressed in the raigne of Ed. the sixt. Then vnder the Quire of Paules is a large chappel, first dedicated to the name of Iesu, founded, or rather confirmed the 37. of H. the 6. as appeareth by his patent thereof, dated at Crodowne to this effect. Many liege men, and Christian people having begun a fraternitie, and guild, to the honour of the most glorious name of Iesu Christ our sauiour, in a place called the Crowdes of the cathedrall church of Pauls in London, which hath continued long time peaceably till now of late: wherevpon they haue made request, and we haue taken vpon vs the name & charge of the foundation, to the laud of Almightie God, the Father, the Sonne and the holy Ghost, and especially to the honour of Iesu, in whose honour the fraternitie was begun, &c.
The king ordained William Say, then Deane of Paules, to be the Rector, and Richard Ford (a remembrancer in the Exchequer) and Henrie Bennis (clearke of his priuie Seale) the Gardians of these brothers and sisters: they and their successors to haue a common seale: licence to purchase lands or tenements to the value of fortie pound by the yeare, & c.
This foundation was confirmed by Henrie the seuenth, the two and twentie of his reigne, to Doctor Collet, then Deane of Powles, Rector there, &c. And by Henrie the eight, the seuen and twentieth of his raigne, to Richard Pace, then Deane of Paules, &c.
At the West ende of this Iesus Chappell, vnder the Quire of Paules, also was a parrish Church of Saint Faith, commonly called S. Faith vnder Pauls, which serued for the Stacioners and other dwelling in Paules Churchyard, Pater noster row', and the places neare adioyning. The said Chappell of Iesus being suppressed in the raigne of Edward the sixt: the Parishioners of saint Faiths church were remooued into the same, as to a place more sufficient for largenesse and lightsomnesse, in the yeare 1551. and so it remaineth.
Then was there on the north side of this churchyard, a large charnell house for the bones of the dead, and ouer it a chappell of an olde foundation, such as followeth. In the yeare 1282. the tenth of Edward the first, it was agreed, that Henrie Walles Maior, and the Citizens, for the cause of shops by them builded, without the wall of the churchyard, should assigne to God, and to the church of Saint Paule, ten markes of rent by the yeare for euer, towardes the new building of a chappell of the blessed virgin Mary, and also to assigne fiue marks of yearly rent to a chaplaine to celebrate there.
Moreouer in the yeare 1430. the eight of Henrie the sixt, licence was granted to Ianken Carpenter (executor to Richard Whittington) to establish vpon the said charnell, a chaplaine, to haue eight marks by the yeare: Then was also in this chappell two brotherhoods. Robert Barton, Henrie Barton Maior, and Thomas Mirfin Maior, all Skinners, were intombed with their Images of Alablaster ouer them, grated or coped about with Iron before the said Chappell, all which was pulled downe, in the yeare 1549. The bones of the dead couched vp in a Charnill vnder the chappell, were conueyed from thence into Finsbery field (by report of him who paid for the carriage) amounting to more then one thousand cart loades, and there laid on a Morish ground in short space after raised, by soylage of the citie vpon them, to beare three milles. The Chappell and charnill were conuerted into dwelling houses, ware houses and sheades before them for Stacioners, in place of the Tombes.
In the east pate of this Churchyeard, standeth Powles schoole, lately new builded and endowed in the yeare 1512. by Iohn Collet Doctor of Diuinity, and Deane of Powles, for 153. poore mens children to bee taught free in the same schoole, for which hee appointed a Maister, a Surmaister, or Vsher, and a Chaplain with large stipends for euer, committing the ouersight thereof to the Maisters, Wardens and Assistantes of the Mercers in London, because hee was sonne to Henry Collet Mercer, sometime Maior. Hee lefte to these Mercers, landes to the yearely value of one hundred and twenty pound or better.
Neare vnto this schoole, on the north side therof, was of old time a great and high Clochier, or bell house, foure square, builded of stone, and in the same a most strong frame of timber, with foure Belles, the greatest that I haue heard, these were called Iesus Belles, and belonged to Iesus Chappell, but I know not by whose gift: the same had a great spire of Timber couered with lead, with the Image of saint Paule on the toppe, but was pulled downe by Sir Miles Partridge knight, in the raigne ofHenry the eight. The common speech then was, that hee did set an hundred pound vpon a cast at dice against it, and so wonne the said Clochiard and belles of the king: and then causing the bels to bee broken as they hung, the rest was pulled downe. This man was afterward executed on the Tower hill, for matters concerning the Duke of Sommerset, the fift of Edward the sixt.
About the middest of this Churchyeard is a Pulpit Crosse of timber, mounted vpon steppes of stone, and couered with leade, in which are sermons preached by learned Diuines euery Sundaye in the forenoone. The very antiquity of which Crosse is to mee vnknowne: I reade, that in the yeare 1259. King Henry the third commaunded a generall assembly to bee made at this crosse, where hee in proper person commaunded the Mayor, that on the next day following, hee should cause to bee sworne before the Alderman, euery stripling of twelue yeares of age, or vpwarde, to bee true to the king and his heyres, kinges of England. Also in the yeare 1262. the same king caused to bee read at Pauls Crosse, a Bull obtayned from Pope Vrban the fourth, as an absolution for him, and for all that were sworne to maintaine the Articles made in Parliament at Oxford. Also in the yere 1299. the Deane of Powles accursed at Powles Crosse all those which had searched in the Church of Saint Martin in the fielde, for an hoorde of gold, &c. This Pulpit crosse was by tempest of lightning and thunder defaced. Thomas Kempe Bishop of London new builded it, in forme as it now standeth.
In the yeare 1561. the fourth of Iune, betwixt the houre of three and foure of the clocke in the afternoone, the greate spire of the steeple of Saint Paules church was fiered by lightning, which brake foorth (as it seemed) two or three yeardes beneath the foote of the Crosse, and from thence it brent downeward the spire to the battlements, stone worke and Belles, so furiously, that within the space of foure houres, the same steeple with all the roofes of the church were consumed, to the great sorrow and perpetuall remembrance of the beholders. After this mischaunce, the Queenes Maiestie directed her letters to the Mayor, willing him to take order for speedy repayring of the same. And shee of her Gratious disposition, for the furtherance thereof, did presently giue and deliuer in golde 1000. markes, with a warrant for a thousand loades of Timber, to bee taken out of her woods, or elsewhere.
The Cittizens also gaue first a great beneuolence, and after that three fifteenes to be speedily paid. The Cleargie of Englande likewise within the Prouince of Canterburie graunted the fortieth part of the value of their benefices, charged with first fruites, the thirtieth part of such as were not so charged, but the Cleargie of London Dioces graunted the thirtieth parte of all that paide first fruites, and the twentieth parte of such as had paide theyr fruites.
Sixe Cittizens of London, and two Petie Canons of Powls church, had charge to further and ouersee the worke, wherein such expedition was vsed, that within one Moneth next following the burning thereof, the church was couered with boords & lead, in manner of a false roofe against the weather, and before the ende of the said yeare, all the saide Iles of the church were framed out of new timber, couered with lead, and fully finished. The same yeare also the great roofes of the west and east endes were framed out of great timber in Yorkshire, brought thence to London by sea, and set vp, and couered with lead, the north and south endes were framed of timber, and couered with leade before Aprill, 1566. Concerning the steeple, diuers models were deuised and made, but little else was done, through whose default God knoweth: it was said that the money, appointed for new building of the steeple, was collected.
Monumentes in this church be these, First as I reade, of Erkenwalde Bishoppe of London buried in the olde Church, aboute the yeare of Christ, seuen hundred, whose body was translated into the new worke, in the yeare 1140. being richly shrined aboue the Quire behind the high Alter.
Sebba or Seba king of the East Saxons, first buried in the olde Church, since remoued into the new, and laide in a coffin of stone (fn. 6), on the north side without the Quire, Etheldred king of the West Saxons was likewise buried and remoued. William Norman, Bishop of London in the raignes of Edward the Confessor and of William the conqueror, deceased 1070. and is new buried in the body of the church with an Epitaph, as in my summary I haue shewed, Eustachius de Faucon bridge Bishoppe of London, 1228. buried in the south Ile aboue the Quire. Martin Pateshull Deane of Powles, 1239. W. Hauarhul Canon, the kings Treasurer, Hugh Pateshull 1240. Roger Nigar Bishoppe of London, 1241. buried in the North side the quier. Fulco Basset Bishop of London, 1259. and his Brother Philip Basset knight 1261. Henry Wingham Bishop of London buried in the south Ile aboue the Quire, 1262. Geffrey de Acra Chaplen, in the Chapple of saint Iames vnder the roode at North dore, 1264. Alexander de Swarford 1273. Iohn Grantham, 1273. Iohn Braynford, & Richard Vmframuile, 1275. Roger de Lale Archdeacon of Essex, 1280. Ralph Donion Canon 1382. Godfrey S. Donstan, 1274. Fulke Louell, 1298. William Harworth, Clearke, 1302. Reginald Brandon in the new Lady Chappell, 1305. Richard Newporte Archdeacon of Middlesex, 1309. Henry Lacie, Earle of Lincolne, in the new worke of Powles, betwixt the Lady Chappell and Saint Dunstons chappell, where a fayre monument was raysed for him, with his picture in armour, crosse legged, as one professed for defence of the holy land against the Infidels, 1310. his monument is fowly defaced. Ralph Baldoke Bishoppe of London, 1313. in the saide Lady Chappell, whereof he was founder.
Some haue noted that in digging the foundation of this new worke, namely of a chappell on the south side of Powles church, there were found more then an hundred scalpes of Oxen or Kine, in the yeare one thousand three hundred and sixeteene, which thing (say they) confirmed greatly the opinion of those which haue reported that of olde time there had beene a Temple of Iupiter, and that there was dayly sacrifice of beastes.
Othersome both wise and learned haue thought the Buckes head, borne before the procession of Paules of Saint Pauls day, to signifie the like. But true it is I haue read an ancient deede to this effect.
Sir William Baud knight, the third of Edward the first, in the yeare 1274, on Candlemas day granted to Haruy de Borham, Deane of Powles, and to the chapter there, that in consideration of twentie two Acres of ground or land, by them granted within their Mannor of Westley in Essex, to bee inclosed into his parke of Curingham, he would for euer vppon the Feast daye of the conuersion of S. Paule in winter, giue vnto them a good Doe, seasonable and sweete, and vppon the Feast of the commemoration of S. Paule in summer, a good Bucke, and offer the same at the high Altar, the same to bee spent amongst the Canons residentes: the Doe to bee brought by one man at the houre of Procession, and through the Procession to the High Alter: and the bringer to haue nothing: the Bucke to bee brought by all his meyney in like manner, and they to haue paid vnto them by the chamberlaine of the church xii. pence onely, and no more to be required. This grant he made, and for performance, bound the landes of him and his heyres to bee distrained on: and if the landes should bee euicted, that yet hee and his Heyres shoulde accomplish the gifte. Witnesses Richard Tilberie, William de Wockendon, Richarde de Harlowe knights, Peter of Stanforde, Thomas of Waldon, and some others.
Sir Walter Baude, sonne to William, confirmed this gift, in the thirtieth of the said king, and the witnesses therevnto were Nicholas de Wokendon, Richard de Rokeley, Thomas de Mandeuile, Iohn de Rochford knights, Richard de Broniford, William de Markes, William de Fulham, and other.
Now what I haue heard by report, and haue partly seene, it followeth. On the feast day of the commemoration of saint Paule the bucke being brought vp to the steps of the high Altar in Powls church, at the houre of procession, the Deane and chapter being apparrelled in coapes and vestmentes, with garlands of Roses on their heades, they sent the body of the Bucke to baking, and had the head fixed on a powle, borne before the Crosse in their procession, vntill they issued out of the West dore, where the keeper that brought it blowed the death of the Bucke, and then the horners that were about the cittie, presently aunswered him in like manner: for the which paines they had each one of the Deane and chapter, foure pence in money, and their dinner, and the keeper that brought it was allowed during his abode there, for that seruice, meate, drinke and lodging, at the deane and chapters charges, and fiue shillinges in money at his going away, together with a loafe of bread, hauing the picture of saint Paule vppon it, &c.
There was belonging to the church of Saint Paule for
both the dayes, two speciall sutes of vestmentes, the one
embrodered with Buckes, the other with Does, both giuen
by the sayd Bauds (as I haue heard.) Thus much for the
matter. Now to the residue of the monuments, sir Raph
Hingham, chiefe, Iustice of both Benches successiuely, buried
in the side of the north walke agaynst the Quire, 1308. Henry
Guildford Clarke, at the Altar of the Apostles, 1313. Richard
Newport Bishop of London, 1318. William Chateleshunte
Canon in the new worke, 1321. had a chantrie there, sir
Nicholas Wokenden knight, at the Altar of Saint Thomas in
the new worke, 1323. Iohn Cheshull Bishop of London, 1279.
Roger Waltham Canon, 1325. Hamo Chikewell sixe times
Maior of London, 1328. Robert Monden, and Iohn Monden
his brother, Canons, in the new worke, 1332. Woltar Thorpe
Canon, in the new worke, 1333. Iohn Fable, 1334.Iames
Frisil, Chaplen, 1341. William Melford Archdeacon of
Colchester <d. 1336>, Richard de Placeto, Archdeacon of Colchester <in> 1342. before Saint Thomas chappell. Geffrey
Eton, Canon, 1345. Nicholas Husband canon, 1347. sir Iohn
Poultney Maior, 1348. in a faire chappell by him builded on
the north side of Paules, wherein he founded three Chaplains.
William Euersden canon, in the Crowds, 1349. Alan Hotham
Canon, in the new Crowdes, 1351. Henrie Etesworth, vnder
the Roode at north doore, 1353, Iohn Beachampe Constable of Douer, warden of the Portes, knight of the
Garter, sonne to Gwy Beauchampe Earle of the Warwike, and
Brother to Thomas Earle of Warwicke, in the bodie of the
church on the South side, 1358. where a proper chapple, and
fayre monument remaineth of him: he is by ignorant people
misnamed, to be Humfrey Duke of Glocester, who lieth
honourably buried at Saint Albons, twentie myles from
London, and therefore such as merrily, or simply professe
themselues to serue Duke Humfrey in Paules, are to be
punished here, and sent to Saint Albons, there againe to bee
punished for their absence from their Lord and maister, as
they call him. Michael Norborow Bishop of London, 1361.
Waltar Nele Blader, and Auis his wife, 1361. Gilbert
Brewer Deane of Paules, 13<53>. Richard Wendouer, 1366.
Iohn Hiltofit Goldsmith, and Alice his wife, in the new worke,
S. Dunstons chapple, 1368. Adam de Bery, Maior of
London, and Roger Holmes for seuen Priestes in a Chappell
of the holy Ghost behinde the Rode at the North doore of
Pauls, 1390. Iohn of Gaunt Duke of Lancaster, 1399. buried
on the north side the Quire, beside Blanch his first wife, who
deceased 1368. sir Richard Burley knight of the Garter,
vnder a fayre monument in the side of the north walke
against the Quire, a chantrie was there founded for him, 1409.
Beatrix his wife, after his death married to Thomas Lord
Rouse, was buried in the chappell of Saint Iohn Baptist (or
Poultneys Chappell) neare the north doore of Paules, 1409.
Thomas Euers Deane of Paules, in Saint Thomas chappell
the new worke, 1411. (fn. 7) Thomas More Deane of Pouls, in the
chapple of Saint Anne and Saint Thomas by him new builded
in Pardon churchyard, 1419. Thomas Stow Deane of Paules,
by the Tombe of Iohn Beauchampe, 1423. (fn. 8) The Dutchesse
of Bedford, sister to Philip Duke of Burgoyne, 1433. Robert
Fitzhugh Bishop of London in the quire, 1435. Walter
Sherington, in a chappell without the North doore by him
builded, 1457. Iohn Drayton Goldsmith, in Alhallowes
chappell, 1456. William Say Deane of Paules, in the Crowds,
or Iesus chappel, 1468. Margaret countesse of Shrewsburie,
in the Crowdes, or Iesus chappell, as appeareth by an Inscription on a pillar there. 'Here before the Image of Iesu, lieth
the worshipfull and right noble ladie Margaret Countesse of
Shrewsburie, late wife of the true and victorious knight and
redoubtable warriour, Iohn Talbot (fn. 9) Earle of Shrewsburie,
which worship (fn. 10) died in Guien for the right of this land. The
first daughter, and one of the heyres of the right famous
and renowned knight Richard Beauchampe late Earle of
Warwicke, which died in Roane, and of Dame Elizabeth his
wife, the which Elizabeth was daughter and heyre to Thomas
late Lord Berkeley on his side, and of her mothers side Ladie
Lisle, and Tyes, which countesse passed from this world the
xiiii. day of Iune, in the yeare of our Lord 1468. on whose
<soule> Iesu haue mercie, Amen.' Iohn Wenlocke by his last
will, dated 1477. appoynted there should bee dispended vpon
a Monument ouer the Lady of Shrewesburie where she is
buried afore Iesus, one hundred pounds. He left Sir Humfrey
Talbot (fn. 11) his Superuisor. This sir Humfrey Talbot knight,
Lord Marshall of the towne of Calles, made his will the yeare
1492. He was yonger son of Iohn Earle of Shrewsburie, and
Margaret his wife: hee appoynted a stone to be put in a
pillar before the graue of his Ladie mother in Pauls, of his
portrature, and armes, according to the will of Iohn Wenlocke,
but for want of roome and lightsomnesse in that place, it
was concluded, the Image of Iesus to bee curiously painted
on the wall in Paules Church, ouer the doore that entreth
into the said Chappell of Iesus, and the portrature also of
the said Ladie Margaret countesse of Shrewesburie, kneeling
in her mantle of Armes, with other of her progenie, all which
was so performed, and remaineth till this day. In the
Chapple of Iesus, Thomas Docwrey, William Lambe, 1578
and many other haue been enterred, Iohnof London vnder
the North rode, 1266. Iohn Louell Clarke, Iohn Romane, Iohn
of Saint Olaue, Waltar Bloxley, Sir Alen Boxhull knight of
the Garter, Constable of the Tower, Custos of the Forrest
and parke of Clarendon, the Forrest of Brokholt, Grouell and
Melchet, buried beside Saint Erkenwalds shrine; and of later
time Thomas Kempe Bishop of London, in a proper Chappell
of the Trinitie by him founded in the bodie of the Church on
the North syde, 1489. Thomas Linicar, (fn. 12) Doctor of Phisicke,
Iohn Collett Deane of Paules, on the South side without the
Quier, 1519. Iohn Dowman Canon of Paules, 1525. Richard
Fitz-Iames Bishop of London, hard beneath the North-west
pillar of Paules Steeple, vnder a fayre Tombe, and a Chappell
of Saint Paule builded of Tymber, with Stayres mounting
therevnto ouer his Tombe of gray Marble, 1521. His Chappell
was burned by fire falling from the Steeple, his Tombe was
taken thence. Iohn Stokesley Bishop of London in our Ladie
Chappell, 1539. Iohn Neuill, Lord Latimer, in a Chappell
by the North doore of Paules, about 1542. Sir Iohn Mason
Knight in the North walke, agaynst the Quier, 1566. William
Herbert Earle of Pembrooke, knight of the Garter, on the
North side the Quier, 1569. Sir Nicholas Bacon, Lord Keeper
of the great Seale, on the South side of the Quier, 1578.
Sir Phillip Sidney aboue the Quier, on the northe side, 1586.
Sir Frances Walsingham knight, principall secretarie, and
Chauncellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, 1590. sir Christopher
Hatton Lord Chancellor of England, knight of the Garter,
aboue the Quier, 1591. vnder a most sumptuous Monument,
where a merry poet writ thus.
Philip and Francis haue no Tombe,
For great Christopher takes all the roome.
Iohn Elmer Bishop of London before saint Thomas chappel, 1594. The lady Heneage, and her husband, sir Thomas Heneage Chancellor of the Dutchie, 1595. Richard Fletcher Bishop of London, 1596. These as the chiefe haue I noted to bee buried there.
Without the North gate of Paules Church, from the ende of the olde Exchaunge, West vp Pater Noster Rowe, by the two lanes out of Paules Church, the first out of the crosse Isle of Paules, the other out of the bodie of the Church, about the midst thereof, and so West to the golden Lion, be all of this Warde, as is aforesaid. The houses in this streete, from the first North gate of Paules Churchyard, vnto the next gate, were first builded without the Wall of the Churchyard, by Henrie Walles Maior, in the yeare 1282. The rentes of those houses goe to the maintenance of London Bridge. This streete is now called Pater Noster Rowe, because of Stacioners or Text writers that dwelled there, who wrote and solde all sortes of Bookes then in vse, namely, A. B. C. with the Pater Noster, Aue, Creede, Graces, &c.
There dwelled also turners of Beades, and they were called Pater Noster makers, as I read in a record of one Robert Nikke, Pater Noster maker and Citizen, in the raigne of Henry the 4. and so of other. At the end of this Pater Noster Rowe, is Aue Mary lane, so called vpon the like occasion of text writers, and Beade makers then dwelling there: and at the ende of that lane is likewise Creede lane, late so called, but sometime Spurrier Rowe, of Spurriers dwelling there, and Amen lane is added therevnto, betwixt the South end of Warwicke lane, and the north end of Aue Mary lane: at the north ende of Aue Mary lane, is one great house builded of stone and timber, of old time pertaining to Iohn Duke of Britaine, Earle of Richmond, as appeareth by the Records of Ed. the second: since that it is called Pembrooks Inne, nere vnto Ludgate, as belonging to the Earles of Pembrooke in the times of Ric. the 2. the 18. yeare: and of Henry the 6. in the xiiii. yeare. It is now called Burgaueny house, and belongeth to Henry late Lord of Burgaueny. Betwixt the south end of Aue Mary lane, and the North end of Creed lane, is the comming out of Paules Church yard, on the East, and the high street on the West, towards Ludgate, and this is called Bowier row, of Bowiers dwelling there in olde time, now worne out by Mercers and others. In this street on the north side, is the parish church of saint Martin, a proper church, and lately new builded: for in the yeare 1437. Iohn Michael Maior and the comminaltie, granted to William Downe parson of S. Martins at Ludgate, a parcell of ground, conteyning in length 24 foot, and in breadth 24. foot, to set and build theyr steeple vpon, &c. The Monuments here hath beene of William Seuenoake Maior, 1418. Henry Belwase, and Iohn Gest, 1458. William Tauerner Gentleman, 1466. Iohn Barton Esquire, 1439. Stephen Peacocke, Maior, 1533. Sir Roger Cholmley. Iohn Went, and Roger Paine had Chanteries there.
On the south side of this streete, is the turning into the blacke Friers, which order sometime had their houses in Oldeborne, where they remayned for the space of fiftie fiue yeares, and then in the yeare 1276. Gregorie Roksley Maior, and the Barons of this citie, granted and gaue to Ro. Kilwarby Archbishop of Canterbury, two lanes or wayes next the streete of Baynards castell, and also the Tower of Mountfitchit, to bee destroyed: in place of which, the said Robert builded the late new church of the Blacke-Friers, and placed them therein. King Edward the first and Elianor his wife were great benefactors therevnto. This was a large church, and richly furnished with Ornaments: wherein diuerse parliaments and other great meetings hath beene holden: namely in the yeare 1450. the twentie eight of Henrie the sixt, a parliament was begun at Westminster, and adiourned to the Blacke-Friers in London, and from thence to Leycester. In the yeare 1522. the Emperour Charles the fift was lodged there. In the yeare 1524. the fifteenth of Aprill, a parliament was begun at the Blacke Friers, wherein was demaunded a subsidie of 800000. pound, to bee raysed of goodes and landes, foure shillings in euery pound, and in the ende was granted two shillinges of the pound, of goodes or landes, that were worth twenty pound, or might dispend twentie pound by the yeare, and so vpward, to be payed in two yeares. This Parliament was adiourned to Westminster, amongst the blacke Monkes, and ended in the kings palace there, the fourteenth of August, at nine of the clocke in the night, and was therefore called the blacke parliament. In the yere 1529. Cardinall Campeius the Legat, with Cardinal Woolsey sate at the said blacke friers, where before them as Legats & Iudges, was brought in question the kings marriage with Queene Katherin as to be vnlawfull, before whom the king and Queene were cited and summoned to appeare, &c. whereof more at large in my Annales I haue touched.
The same yeare in the Moneth of October began a parliament in the Blacke Friers, in the which Cardinall Woolsey was condemned in the premunire (fn. 13): this house valued at 104.li. 15.s.5.d. was surrendred the xii. of Nouember, the 30. of Henrie the eight. There were buried in this Church, Margaret Queene of Scots, Hubert de Burgh Earle of Kent, translated from their olde Church, by Old-Boorne: Robert de Attabeto Earle of Bellimon: Dame Isabel wife to Sir Roger Bygot, Earle Marshall: William and Iane Huse, Children to Dame Ellis, Countes of Arundell, and by them lieth Dame Ellis, daughter to the Earle Warren, and after Countesse of Arundell: Dame Ide wife to Sir Waltar — daughter to Ferrers of Chartley, Richard de Brewes, Richard Strange, sonne to Roger Strange, Elizabeth daughter to sir Barthol. Badlesmere, wife to sir William Bohun Earle of Northampton. Marsh, the Earles of March and Hereford, and Elizabeth Countesse of Arundell. Dame Ioan daughter to sir Iohn Carne, first wife to sir Gwide Brian. Hugh Clare knight, 1295. The heart of Q.Helianor the foundresse: the heart of Alfonce her son: the hearts of Iohn and Margaret, children to W. Valence: sir William Thorpe Iustice, the lord Lioth of Ireland, Maude wife to Geffrey Say, daughter to ye Earle of Warwick, Dame Sible, daughter to Wil. Pattehulle, wife to Roger Bewchampe, and by her Sir Richard or Roger Bewchampe, Lorde S. Amand and Dame Elizabeth his wife, daughter to the Duke of Lancaster, sir Stephen Collington knight, sir William Peter knight. The Countesse of Huntington, Dutches of Excester 1425. sir Iohn Cornwall, Lord Fanhope, died at Ampthill in Bedfordshire, and was buried here, 1443. sir Iohn Tiptofte Earle of Worcester beheaded, 1470. and by him in his Chapple, Iames Tutchet, Lord Audley, beheaded 1497. William Paston and Anne daughter to Edmond Lancaster. The Lord Beamount, sir Edmond Cornewall Baron of Burford, The Lady Neuell, wedded to the Lord Dowglas, daughter to the Duke of Excester, Richard Scrope Esquier, Dame Katheren Vaux alias Cobham, sir Thomas Browne and dame Elizabeth his wife, Iane Powell, Thomas Swinforth, Iohn Mawsley, Esquier, 1432. Iohn de la Bere, Nicholas Eare, Geffery Spring, William Clifford Esquiers, Sir Thomas Brandon knight of the Garter, 1509. William Stalworth Marchant Taylor, 1518. William Courtney Earle of Deuonshire nominate but not created, the 3. of Henry the eight, &c.
There is a parrish of saint Anne within the precinct of the Black Fryers, which was pulled down with the Friers Church, by sir Thomas Carden: but in the raigne of Queene Mary, hee being forced to find a church to the inhabitantes, allowed them a lodging chamber aboue a staire, which since that time, to witte the yeare, 1597. fell downe, and was againe by collection therefore made, new builded and enlarged in the same yeare, and was dedicated on the eleuenth of December.
Now to turne againe out of the Black Fryers through Bowier Rowe, Aue Mary lane, and Pater Noster Row, to the church of saint Michaell ad Bladum, or at the corne, (corruptly at the Querne,) so called, because in place thereof, was sometime a corne market, stretching vp West to the Shambles: It seemeth that this church was new builded, about the raigne of Edward the 3. Thomas Newton first Parson there, was buried in the Quire, the yeare 1361. At the east end of this Church stoode a Crosse, called the old crosse in west Cheape, which was taken downe in the yeare 1390. since the which time, the said parrish church was also taken down, but new builded and enlarged, in the yeare 1430. the eight of Henry the sixt. William Eastfield Mayor, & the comminaltie graunted of the common soyle of the citie, three feet and a halfe in bredth on the north part, and foure foot in bredth toward the East, for the enlarging thereof. This is now a proper Church, and hath the monumentes of Thomas Newton first Parson, Roger Woodcocke, Hatter, 1475. Thomas Rossel Brewer, 1473. Iohn Hulton, Stacioner, 1475. I. Oxney, Roger North, Marchant Haberdasher, 1509. Iohn Leiland the famous Antiquary, Henry Pranell Vintner, one of the shiriffes 1585. William Elkin one of the shiriffes, 1586. Thomas Bankes, Barber Chirurgion, 1598. &c. Iohn Mundham had a Chauntrie there, in the 4. of E. the second.
At the east end of this church, in place of the olde crosse, is now a water conduit placed, W. Eastfield Mayor, the 9. of H. the 6. at the request of diuers common councels, granted it so to be: wherevpon in the 19. of the same Henry, one thousand marks was granted by a common counsell towardes the workes of this conduit, & the reparations of other: this is called the little Conduit in West Cheape by Powles gate. At the west end of this parrish church is a small passage for people on foote through the same church, & west from the said church, some distance, is an other passage out of Pater noster row, and is called of such a signe, Panyar Alley, which commeth out into the North ouer against S. Martins lane. Next is Iuie lane, so called of Iuie growing on the walles of the Prebend houses, but now the lane is replenished on both the sides with faire houses, and diuers offices be there kept, by registers, namelie, for the prerogatiue court of the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Probate of Willes, and for the Lord Treasurers remembrance of the Exchequer, &c.
This Lane runneth North to the west ende of S.Nicholas shambles. Of old time was one great house, sometimes belonging to the Earles of Britaine, since that to the Louels, and was called Louels Inne: for Mathild wife to Iohn Louell held it in the first of H. the 6. Then is Eldenese lane, which stretcheth North to the high street of Newgate market, the same is now called Warwicke lane, of an ancient house there builded by an Earle of War wicke, and was since called Warwicke Inne. It is in record called a messuage in Eldenese lane, in the parrish of S.Sepulchre, the 28. of Henry the 6. Cicille Dutches of Warwicke possessed it. Now againe from the Conduit by powles gate on the north side, is a large streete, running west to Newgate, the first part whereof from the Conduit to the shambles, is of selling bladders there, called Bladder street. Then behind the butchers shops be now diuers slaughter houses inward, and Tippling houses outward. This is called Mountgodard streete of the Tippling houses there, and the Goddards mounting from the tappe to the Table, from the table to the mouth, and sometimes ouer the head. This streete goeth vp to the North end of Iuie lane. Before this Mountgodard streete stall boordes were of olde time set vp by the Butchers, to shew & to sell their flesh meate vpon, ouer the which stalboordes, they first builded sheades to keepe off the weather, but since that incroching by little and little, they haue made their stall boordes & sheads, faire houses, meete for the principall shambles. Next is Newgate market, first of corne and meale, and then of other victuals, which stretcheth almost to Eldenese lane. A faire new and strong frame of timber couered with lead, was therefore set vp at the charges of the citie, neare to the west corner of S. Nicholas shambles, for the meale to be weighed, in the I. of Edward the 6. Sir Iohn Gresham being then Mayor. On this side the north corner of Eldenese lane stood sometime a proper parrish church of S.Ewine, as is before said, giuen by Henry the 8. towards the erecting of Christs church, it was taken down, and in place thereof, a faire strong frame of timber erected, wherein dwell men of diuers Trades. And from this frame to Newgate is all of this ward, and so an end thereof. It hath an Alderman, his Deputie, common councel, 12. Constables, 17. Scauengers, 18. Wardmote Inquest, 18. and a Bedle: And is taxed to the fifteene, 50. pound.