Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 1, Treasury Officials 1660-1870. Originally published by University of London, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The Treasury auditorships, which were two in number, were created in 1807. In the first instance it was provided that they should be held by the Assistant Secretary and the senior Chief Clerk for the time being. (fn. 1) After the resignation of Harrison in 1826, however, the connection with the assistant secretaryship was severed. (fn. 2) Thereafter, except in the case of Freeling, the offices were always held by Chief Clerks. In 1849 it was provided that they should be discontinued when vacancies occurred, the duties being transferred to the Auditor of the Civil List. (fn. 3) Consequently on the retirement of Fauquier in 1849 and the death of T. C. Brooksbank in 1850 the auditorships ceased to exist.
The Auditors received allowances as such in addition to their ordinary salaries. These allowances were fixed at £300 in 1810. (fn. 4) In 1821 they were reduced, for future holders of the offices, to £250. (fn. 5) In 1834 there was a further reduction to £150. (fn. 6)