Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 1, Treasury Officials 1660-1870. Originally published by University of London, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Law Clerk 1835-56
Between 1805 and 1816 the designation 'Law Clerk' formed part of the title of the Assistant Secretary. (fn. 1) In 1835 it was given to a distinct official with different duties. (fn. 2) The appointment was made necessary by the introduction in that year of the practice whereby the crown relieved the county rates of half the expense of criminal prosecutions at assizes and sessions. The principal function of the Law Clerk was the supervision of the business arising in this connection and, after 1846, in connection with the county courts. (fn. 3) The office was not filled after the dismissal of its holder in 1856. In the same year its functions were transferred to one of the Principal Clerks and in 1860 to a new County Court Department. (fn. 4)
The salary attached to the office in 1835 was £500. (fn. 5) In 1841 a progressive scale was introduced rising to £700 after fifteen years. (fn. 6) In the event it was increased to £700 in 1846 and there was a further increase to £1000 in 1847. (fn. 7)