BHO

The stables: Surveyor of the Highways 1660-1782

Pages 618-619

Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 11 (Revised), Court Officers, 1660-1837. Originally published by University of London, London, 2006.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

Surveyor of the Highways 1660–1782

The office of surveyor of the highways or guide and conductor to the king

when his Majesty travels, goes before, and takes care that the Roads are in good Order for his Majesty's passing. He has also the Government and Inspection of the Roads, calld [sic] the King's and it is by Passport from him that any Body has free Passage thro' the same. (fn. 1)

This office was under the authority of the master of the horse and was appointed by his warrant. It is to be distinguished from that of surveyor of the roads which was under the authority of the board of works and to which appointments were made by the Crown by letters patent under the great seal. These posts were, however, held concurrently by the same individual until 1731. The salary of the surveyor of the highways amounted to £82. The office was abolished in 1782. (fn. 2)

1660 23 Nov. Lawrence, A.
1689 20 Apr. Studholme, M.
1716 14 Aug. Watkins, W.
1731 16 Mar. Cole, E.
1758 Smith, J.

Footnotes

  • 1. PSBC, p. 58.
  • 2. The History of the King's Works, ed. H.M. Colvin (1963–82) V, 459–60; Chamberlayne (1718) II, 102, 145; CTB IX, 869, 873; LS 13/201, f. 26; MOH PB 1, pp. 132–3, 168–9.