Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 11 (Revised), Court Officers, 1660-1837. Originally published by University of London, London, 2006.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Surveyors of the Stables 1660–1727
The surveyors of the stables were appointed by warrant of the master of the horse. At least one such office existed from 1660. Established at four in 1664 with wages of 11d a day (£16 14s 1d a year), the number of surveyors was reduced to three in 1680. There was a further reduction to two in 1685 when the salary was fixed at £120. In 1689–90 three surveyors were appointed with specific responsibilities for the 'Great Mews' in London and for the stables at Hampton Court and Kensington. They were reduced to one in 1702 and increased to two in 1714. The offices were abolished in 1727. (fn. 1)
Riding Surveyor c. 1685–1782
On royal progresses, the riding surveyor 'goes before and provides convenient lodging, &c. For the Court and Houshold'. He was appointed by warrant of the master of the horse. The salary was £30. The office was abolished in 1782. (fn. 2)