Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 3, Officials of the Boards of Trade 1660-1870. Originally published by University of London, London, 1974.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
COUNCILS OF TRADE 1660-72
Two Councils of Trade were appointed by Charles II. Appointments were made by commission under the great seal. In both cases the Commissioners served without salary. The first Council, appointed in 1660, consisted of sixty-two Commissioners. (fn. 1) After 1664 its activities appear to have diminished although it may have continued to exist in some form until 1668. In the latter year it was replaced by a new Council consisting of forty-two Commissioners. (fn. 2) The membership was increased to forty-six in 1669. (fn. 3) The second Council ceased to exist in 1672 when responsibility for questions of trade was transferred to the newly constituted Council of Trade and Foreign Plantations. (fn. 4)
Both in 1660 and in 1668 the Councils of Trade were empowered to appoint a Secretary and other officials, allowances of up to £1000 a year payable at the Exchequer being provided for their salaries and for incidental expenses. (fn. 5) In neither case is the amount of the Secretary's salary known.
|1668||22 Oct.||du Moulin, P.|