Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 4, Admiralty Officials 1660-1870. Originally published by University of London, London, 1975.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1745 an Extra Clerk was granted an additional allowance of £20 for acting as Translator of the French Language. (fn. 1) In 1755 the office of Translator of the French Language was established on a permanent basis with a salary of £100, payable by the Treasurer of the Navy. (fn. 2) In 1781 an allowance of £30 a year out of the contingent fund was given to an Extra Clerk, R. Maxwell, for acting as Translator of Spanish papers. (fn. 3) This allowance ceased in 1784 when Maxwell was appointed Translator of French and Spanish Languages with the established allowance of £100. (fn. 4) In 1787 Maxwell was replaced as French Translator by Braithwaite who was given the allowance of £100 while Maxwell himself resumed his former position of Translator of Spanish papers with an allowance of £50 from the contingent fund. (fn. 5) In 1788 the appointment of Braithwaite was rescinded and Maxwell became the only Translator. (fn. 6) In 1795 his allowance was increased to £100. (fn. 7) In 1800 the office of Translator of French and Spanish Languages was included in the establishment with a salary of £100. (fn. 8) The office was discontinued in 1869. (fn. 9)
|1755||22 Dec.||Fouace, C.|
|1776||5 March||Bindley, J.|
|1784||12 Feb.||Maxwell, R.|
|1787||8 May||Braithwaite, T.|
|1788||18 June||Maxwell, R.|
|1800||11 April||Amedroz, H. F.|
|1845||22 April||Amedroz, H. F.|