Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 4, Admiralty Officials 1660-1870. Originally published by University of London, London, 1975.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
On the formation of the Marine Department in 1755 provision was made for a clerical staff with salaries payable by the Paymaster of Marines. At first this staff consisted of a First Clerk with a salary of £100 and a Second Clerk with a salary of £70, together with two Extra Clerks. (fn. 1) The salary of the First Clerk was increased to £200 in 1756. (fn. 2) Fearne, the holder of this office, was then a junior Clerk on the ordinary establishment of the Admiralty. He remained First Clerk after his promotion to the office of Deputy Secretary to the Admiralty in 1764 until his retirement in 1766. (fn. 3) His successor as Deputy Secretary, Jackson, was also allowed the salary of £200 attached to the office of First Clerk in the Marine Department. (fn. 4)
In 1778 the salary of the Second Clerk was raised to £100 and a Third Clerk was appointed at £70 a year. (fn. 5) In 1782 the salary of £200, formerly attached to the first clerkship, was made a permanent part of the remuneration of the Deputy Secretary of the Admiralty who was given the additional title of Deputy Secretary of the Marine Department. At the same time the salaries of the three Clerks were fixed at £130, £80 and £60. (fn. 6) In 1784 the third clerkship was abolished and in 1790 the salary attached to the second clerkship was increased to £110. (fn. 7)
In 1800 the salaries of the First and Second Clerks were fixed at £300 and £150 respectively and made payable by the Treasurer of the Navy. (fn. 8) In 1807 the new salary arrangements for the Senior and Junior Clerks in the Admiralty office were applied to these posts. (fn. 9) In 1809 the separate existence of the Marine Department was brought to a close and its clerkships were incorporated into the ordinary establishment of the Admiralty. (fn. 10)
Extra Clerks 1755-82
Provision was made for there to be two Extra Clerks in the Marine Department in 1755, each with a salary of £50, payable by the Paymaster of Marines. The offices were discontinued in 1782. (fn. 11)