Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 8, Foreign Office Officials 1782-1870. Originally published by University of London, London, 1979.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Clerks attached to Treaty Department 1817-70
From 1817 J. B. Bergne was employed on a regular basis but without salary as a Clerk attached to the Treaty Department. In 1824 when a lithographic press was installed in the Foreign Office Bergne, who was authorised to prepare all handwritten material for it, was awarded an annual allowance of £150 from the contingent fund. In 1827 he was provided with a salary of £150 rising by annual increments of £10 to £300. The salary was increased in 1829 to £350 rising by annual increments of £15 to £545. (fn. 1) In 1841 the payment of the salary was transferred from the contingent fund to the fee fund. (fn. 2) An additional personal allowance of £100 was made available to Bergne in 1845. (fn. 3) In the years 1846-9 a second Clerk with a salary of £100 was attached to the Department. (fn. 4) In 1852 Bury, a Clerk who had been employed without salary in various of the subordinate departments since 1844, was attached exclusively to the Treaty Department. (fn. 5) On Bergne's appointment to the office of Superintendent of the Treaty Department in 1854, Bury was appointed his Clerk, or Assistant, at a salary of £200 rising by annual increments of £20 to £500. (fn. 6) In 1860 a second Clerk at a salary of £100 rising by annual increments of £10 to £250 was added to the Department. (fn. 7) In 1865 the two Clerks were allocated to the new grade of Supplementary Clerk: the First Clerk to the First Class at a salary of £400 rising by annual increments of £15 to £500, and the Second Clerk to the Second Class at a salary of £250 rising by annual increments of £15 to £360. (fn. 8)
|1817||5 Jan.||Bergne, J. B.|
|1846||29 June||Bode, -|
|1846||17 Oct.||Wolff, H. D.|
|1852||12 Nov.||Bury, R.|
|1860||19 Nov.||March, G. E.|