Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 8, Foreign Office Officials 1782-1870. Originally published by University of London, London, 1979.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Clerk attached to Consular Department 1826-68
The business of the Consular Department was normally conducted by established Clerks. In the years 1826-39, however, a Supplementary Clerk was attached to the Department. The salary, payable out of the contingent fund, was fixed at £100 in 1826, increased to £125 in 1830 and to £150 in 1834, and again reduced to £100 in 1835. In 1839 provision was made for the Clerk's salary to increase by annual increments of £10 to £150. (fn. 1) In 1860 an official described as a 'Supplemental Junior Clerk' was attached to the Department to keep the consular accounts at a salary of £150 rising by annual increments of £15 to £300. (fn. 2) The Clerk was placed in the new grade of Second Class Supplementary Clerk in 1865 with a salary of £250 rising by annual increments of £15 to £360. (fn. 3) The office was discontinued in 1868 when the duty of keeping the consular accounts was transferred to the Chief Clerk's Department.
|1826||5 July||Saunders, S. S.|
|1835||18 April||Francklin, G. F.|
|1860||16 Nov.||Gladwell, W.|
|1861||30 Aug.||Plasket, E.|