BHO

Bourton-on-the-Hill

Page 17

Ancient and Historical Monuments in the County of Gloucester Iron Age and Romano-British Monuments in the Gloucestershire Cotswolds. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1976.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.

Citation:

BOURTON-ON-THE-HILL

(21 miles N.N.E. of Cirencester)

(1) Roman Road, Ryknild Street (SP 139315-SP 132335), is traceable on air photographs in a continuous straight line for almost 1¼ miles in the W. of the parish; it extends N.N.W. across Bourton Downs and continues on the E. shoulder of Snowshill Hill (Snowshill (1)). On the ground, faint traces of the road are visible along most of its length, the agger being spread and very low, but up to 1 ft. high on Bourton Downs (SP 13643218) and under walls on the parish boundary (SP 13363301). Suggestions of former side ditches are noted.

R.A.F., VAP F21 and F22, 543/RAF/1913: 0033–4.