Ancient and Historical Monuments in the County of Gloucester Iron Age and Romano-British Monuments in the Gloucestershire Cotswolds. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(20 miles N.E. of Cirencester)
(1) Roman Building (SP 19922792), on a N.E.-facing slope, lies above the 500-ft. contour and 200 yds. E. of the present line of the Foss Way (2). It was partly excavated by D. Talbot Rice in 1923, when a well-preserved wall was traced for 30 ft. The building was of at least two periods, as in one place a tiled floor overlay fallen wall plaster. A surface scatter of pottery in arable is of 2nd to 4th-century date. Surface finds are in Gloucester City Museum.
JRS, XII (1922), 262.
(2) Roman Road, The Foss Way (SP 195276–SP 197282), follows a line N.N.E. from Stow-on-the-Wold and in places forms part of the W. boundary of the parish. The Roman road fabric, which consisted of pitched stones of local Oolite, was exposed in 1931 and 1936 immediately E. of the present road.
TBGAS, LIV (1932), 385–8; 57 (1935), 280–1.