Ancient and Historical Monuments in the County of Gloucester Iron Age and Romano-British Monuments in the Gloucestershire Cotswolds. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(12 miles W. of Cirencester)
An inscribed Roman gabled tombstone was found c. 1835 in Horsley Wood, about ½ mile S.W. of the village. (fn. 1) A collection of unprovenanced Roman coins in Stroud Museum is thought to come from Horsley or Kingscote. 'Enoch's Hill Camp' (ST 847975) consists of banks and enclosures, possibly mediaeval. (fn. 2)
(1) Romano-British Villa (ST 852972), about ½ mile E. of Tiltups End, in a broad and shallow depression at about 550 ft. above O.D., is identified by a scatter of tesserae, roof tiles, nails and pottery in arable. Two coins (3rd and 4th century) were found.
TBGAS, 87 (1968), 204.
(2) Settlement Site (ST 85789733), Romano-British, on a gentle S.-facing slope, about 700 yds. E. of (1) and about 580 ft. above O.D., is indicated by an extensive scatter of sandstone tiles, large slabs of limestone and Romano-British pottery in arable.
Oral information, D. A. Mears.
(3) Enclosure (ST 86159585), undated, about 1 acre, shows as a crop-mark at about 530 ft. above O.D., on land falling gently S.E.
N.M.R., OAP ST 8695/1/276–7.