Ancient and Historical Monuments in the County of Gloucester Iron Age and Romano-British Monuments in the Gloucestershire Cotswolds. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(18 miles S.W. of Cirencester)
Romano-British objects have been found in the vicinity of Symonds' Hall Farm (ST 790960). A fragment of a quern (fn. 1) was picked up immediately S. of the farm in 1969 (ST 790958). A metal spoon (fn. 2) was found below the farm in Tyley Bottom (ST 7794). A stone votive tablet (fn. 3) depicting three Celtic mother-goddesses may originate from this area, or from Kingscote (1) further east. A brooch (fn. 4) was found in the parish in 1883.
(1) Enclosures (ST 802964), undated, are revealed by crop-marks in fields immediately W. of the Chessalls (Kingscote (1), p. 71).
C.U.A.P., OAP AZN 51.