Ancient and Historical Monuments in the County of Gloucester Iron Age and Romano-British Monuments in the Gloucestershire Cotswolds. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
Romano-British occupation has been recorded from imprecise locations in the parish. In 1850 'Roman brick' was found built into the Norman masonry of the church (ST 68206935), and pottery, coins and tesserae have come from the churchyard and the vicarage garden. (fn. 1) The foundations of a villa, and querns, pottery, brooches and coins have been reported in Congrove (ST 710698). (fn. 2) Coffins, possibly Roman, have been found in a field named Coffin Tyning, centred at ST 69807092, near Beach; (fn. 3) a large stone coffin has been ploughed up at Upton. (fn. 4) Numerous Roman coins have been found at Oldland Bottom (ST 672713). (fn. 5)
'Bitton Camp' has been shown by excavation to be mediaeval. (fn. 6)