Ancient and Historical Monuments in the County of Gloucester Iron Age and Romano-British Monuments in the Gloucestershire Cotswolds. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
AMPNEY ST. PETER or EASTINGTON
(3½ miles E. of Cirencester)
A Romano-British building imprecisely located about ¼ mile N. of the village was partly excavated by J. Y. Akerman, c. 1860. (fn. 1) His account refers to an urn containing a hoard of Roman coins dug up in a garden 'not many hundred yards from Ranbury Ring'.
(1) Ranbury Ring Hill-fort (SP 090009), bivallate by reason of a feeble outer bank and ditch, its banks treecovered, unexcavated, encloses 11½ acres on the plain S.E. of the village, about 310 ft. above O.D. The perimeter of the enclosure generally follows the contours of a slight eminence, rising from the almost flat surrounding ground. The inner bank, about 35 ft. wide, stands 7 ft. above the interior and 12 ft. above the ditch, which is 30 ft. wide. Beyond this is a berm 10 ft. to 15 ft. wide. The generally denuded outer bank, about 15 ft. wide, survives in places to a height of 4 ft. The outer ditch can be traced only along the S. half of the S.W. side, where it is 6 in. deep and 12 ft. wide. The entrance, in the middle of the S.E. side, is now marked by a gap 40 ft. wide in the inner bank. The outer bank has been destroyed on the N.E. of the entrance. The interior has been much ploughed.
Playne (1876), 216, No. 35. Witts (1883), 42, No. 84. Bagendon, 25, n. 4.